Putting my JBA LTs on this evening - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Exhaust Tech

Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
Bo White

I have pix, going to take a vid here in a minute and post pix and vid.
They are far from a direct bolt on to the factory midpipe or an aftermarket replacement.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
BigbirneysG8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
I have pix, going to take a vid here in a minute and post pix and vid.
They are far from a direct bolt on to the factory midpipe or an aftermarket replacement.
Great info, and thanks, probably steering me toward Doug Thorleys

2001 GTP SE Coupe (SOLD)
12.78 @ 107 lots of mods and still FWD
BigbirneysG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
rpss4844

I am interested in gettting some of the JBA headers as well and have been diggin on here for a while now trying to figure out what other members have been bolting up behind these headers. Please correct me if im wrong, but there is no direct bolt up for the JBA headers? Whatever kind of mid section you want to run (x-pipe, h-pipe, duals, etc..) has to be custom cut/welded to match up to the JBA headers?

Thanks fpr taking the time to post up your results and isssues. cant wait to see the pics!
rpss4844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
Bo White

There is/was a 40-3111 catback exhaust made for these headers. Even says in the instructions that these headers were made for that exhaust.
Pic of the JBAs installed with the factory midpipe slid back as far as the rubber hangers would allow:
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
dblaron
Super Moderator

Thanks for the picks Bo. Definitely helps me prepare for my install.

2009 GT Prem. Sport. Sun Roof.
Paddle Shifters, BMR Sways, Eibachs, Koni's, Brembos, 3.45s, LS2 cam, 918 springs, 1.85 rockers, Spectre CAI, Rick C Intake/TB/heads , LS7 MAF, Custom Axle Backs, JBA LT's,

Pat G Tuned.

12.23 @ 113.7 mph 1.98 60' 1,000' DA

20X9-35 TSW Nurburings 275/35 Mickey Thompson Street Comps
dblaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #26
bostonf4$

mine were not as offset as that, but I also have an aftermarket X pipe welded in place along w/ some straight piping.

If you were planning on doing this mod yourself it would be an issue I can see, but if you don't have a lift/proper tools/experience like myself and were going to have a shop install (and you need a tune anyhow so.....) the added work of welding these up is not a very big deal at all.

Have you got them welded up now bo?
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
Bo White

For sure, welded them up right after I took this pic with my phone.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #28
dblaron
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonf4$ View Post
mine were not as offset as that, but I also have an aftermarket X pipe welded in place along w/ some straight piping.

If you were planning on doing this mod yourself it would be an issue I can see, but if you don't have a lift/proper tools/experience like myself and were going to have a shop install (and you need a tune anyhow so.....) the added work of welding these up is not a very big deal at all.

Have you got them welded up now bo?
I will be installing these myself, my tuner is Pat G via email. I need a driveway friendly solution. Looking at Bo's pics it looks like the factory offset may be able to be cut, shortened, welded, and then extended straight. Like I said earlier, I unfortunately do not have any good/honest exhaust shops within driving range.

Bo, did you drive your car to the shop? With just headers? That must have been fun!!

2009 GT Prem. Sport. Sun Roof.
Paddle Shifters, BMR Sways, Eibachs, Koni's, Brembos, 3.45s, LS2 cam, 918 springs, 1.85 rockers, Spectre CAI, Rick C Intake/TB/heads , LS7 MAF, Custom Axle Backs, JBA LT's,

Pat G Tuned.

12.23 @ 113.7 mph 1.98 60' 1,000' DA

20X9-35 TSW Nurburings 275/35 Mickey Thompson Street Comps
dblaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #29
Bo White

I did, very loud. I had resonance inside the cab that was vibrating everything it could lol.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #30
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

So the money saved on the headers, is lost when its time to install.... good to know. Because JBA is just down the road from my house and the guy you bought from on Ebay is about 20 mi. from me. I think this takes them off the list for me.
I just want a reasonably priced, header & mid pipe setup that mates to the factory axle back mufflers. Geez... is that so hard?

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

5litrarag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
Bo White

I just cut the midpipe back close to the bend and ran straight pipe from the collector to the midpipe. For the money you still cant beat the JBAs right now, stainless headers for less than 500 bucks. Especially since they are local to you. SPEC Clutches are 30 minutes from my house and Im a Centerforce fan lol, Im gonna put a SPEC in it when my stocker goes out.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

so whats the first impressions on the new found sound and performance??
Troy Trackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #33
Supercharged

Out of curiosity would pacesetters be easier assuming you get the adapter kit to bolt directly to the stock exhaust?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Show: Tint 15% rear/35% sides, 6K HID's, LED Fogs, Autodim rearview, bass boost powered by KICKER & 2 JL 12's, debadged. Sharkfin, GXP Diffuser, 20x9 Chrome Camaro 20's, CTS-V Brembos, BMR Sways, In Dash NAV Kit, and Black and Blue Recaro Booster Seat.
Go: Kooks Mids, RotoFab, SC Tuner
Wants:lots of em
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged View Post
Out of curiosity would pacesetters be easier assuming you get the adapter kit to bolt directly to the stock exhaust?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
yea they would be much easier but they eliminate the cats also....
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #35
Bo White

Ive lost 0 bottom end power(like idle to 2000rpm bottom end). I drive to my house in 3-4 gear in my GXP and sometimes comes down close to 1000rpm, drove like this for 20k miles so I know my car. I can still do this without so much of a bog or anything. Power delivery last night with my wife and kids in the car is like it was before by myself. Im going to the dyno monday at 10am to see just exactly what the headers have done for power.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #36
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

what about a tune? I may have already asked this before, sorry if it is a repeat...
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #37
Bo White

Stock tune at the moment, no engine light yet but expecting it.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #38
bostonf4$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5litrarag View Post
So the money saved on the headers, is lost when its time to install.... good to know. Because JBA is just down the road from my house and the guy you bought from on Ebay is about 20 mi. from me. I think this takes them off the list for me.
I just want a reasonably priced, header & mid pipe setup that mates to the factory axle back mufflers. Geez... is that so hard?
Umm...not even close. Myself and the OP got 400 series stainless headers ceramic coated for $500-$550 shipped. I can't comment on his install costs - but REGARDLESS of what header brand you buy you need a tune. My install plus re-tune ran me $500 (also changed plugs and had my TB ported). So for $1050 I got a set of stainless steel LT headers coated, new plugs/wires, installed w/ a tune and ported TB.

If I bought kooks w/ their connection pipe I'd be @ $1600-1700 without ANYTHING else, hell you're better off just buying the kooks headers WITHOUT the connection pipe and having a shop fab something up.

Sounds to me like the kooks mids would be what you need...they're like $800, won't make the same power, but they're 304 stainless so technically you shouldn't need coating...still more money than these JBA's
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonf4$ View Post
Umm...not even close. Myself and the OP got 400 series stainless headers ceramic coated for $500-$550 shipped. I can't comment on his install costs - but REGARDLESS of what header brand you buy you need a tune. My install plus re-tune ran me $500 (also changed plugs and had my TB ported). So for $1050 I got a set of stainless steel LT headers coated, new plugs/wires, installed w/ a tune and ported TB.

If I bought kooks w/ their connection pipe I'd be @ $1600-1700 without ANYTHING else, hell you're better off just buying the kooks headers WITHOUT the connection pipe and having a shop fab something up.

Sounds to me like the kooks mids would be what you need...they're like $800, won't make the same power, but they're 304 stainless so technically you shouldn't need coating...still more money than these JBA's
I understand the price is lower than Kooks, hell Who's isn't? hahaha Thats the usual case with most of these products. BUT... Kooks $hit is so nice it looks like jewerly. Everything is JUST right. You almost want have pics of them with your kids to show off to friends. I'm not taking away anything from what you guys bought because I havent seen them up close. But im just saying, why couldnt they have at least tried to make a solution that mates to the stock piping? Or make it VERY clear that the end user is going to need a mid pipe to run their product? Just kinda annoying to me....

As for not making the same power... well, that I have my questions about. But thats open to debate and without two identically equipped cars and a dyno, its nothing but speculation.

Not trying to start anything here, but with dealing wit this kind of thing on my mustangs, Im used to having the choices available to buy well engineered and beautiful products or cheaply made crap stained by the sweat and tears of Chinese children. But the one thing in common, they all fit proper or tell you exactly whats needed and there wasnt a whole bunch of getting a half solution and having to figure out the rest on your own. That's all I'm asking for.... spending 1500 bucks on some headers and piping is NOT what I want.

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

5litrarag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #40
zepcom
Administrator

I don't know where you get your prices, Boston, but my Kooks LT's were a bit south of 4 digits, jet-hot-dip-inner-and-outer-throughout-coated, shipped, complete. From a vendor on this forum. Sure the midpipe (at the time) and install was a little more, but no where near your claim of:

Quote:
If I bought kooks w/ their connection pipe I'd be @ $1600-1700 without ANYTHING else
But hey, to each their own, amirite?

Good to hear that Bo got it all worked out even considering the unnecessary snags along the way.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced catback with take-off SLP tips.
SOLO J-pipes developed and perfected with my test mule!
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

zepcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement