Oil your using? Duration you use? - Page 4 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > V8 Engine Tech (L76/LS3)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #61
Supercharged

Mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30 at 5-8k miles pending on OLM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Show: Tint 15% rear/35% sides, 6K HID's, LED Fogs, Autodim rearview, bass boost powered by KICKER & 2 JL 12's, debadged. Sharkfin, GXP Diffuser, 20x9 Chrome Camaro 20's, CTS-V Brembos, BMR Sways, In Dash NAV Kit, and Black and Blue Recaro Booster Seat.
Go: Kooks Mids, RotoFab, SC Tuner
Wants:lots of em
Supercharged is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #62
Thrustie

Am I the only one that feels running a full synthetic(amsoil signiture series and amsoil filter rated at 25k miles) is good for about 12-15k miles if you drive mainly highway?

I average 1500kms a week, most of which is highway, so I put on 15k miles in 4 months. Most recently, I change my oil every 12-15k miles. Even after that mileage, it hasn't dropped even a bit, and oil still looks like new.

Any thoughts?

Kyle
Thrustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #63
matts88yj

Running Amsoil 5w-30 Signature Series and Wix filters on the G8. Just received back my oil analysis results from Blackstone Labs. This sample had 10,000 miles on it and they said it could go 12,000 miles between changes easily. Next sample will be taken at 12,000 and we will see how the results are then.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #64
Maton8

I've been using Mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30 and change it when my OLM reads 35%
Maton8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #65
Zdaddy
Zdaddy

My G8 GT is my company car... they allow us to choice our own sedan. Pretty cool hey? I purchased the car December 2011 and have had the car for just over a year and already have 85,000 miles on the car. That is the sad part! So I tend to over analyze everything and started with my oil changes. I have a great deal of faith in the OLM system and here are my findings-

Tried and tracked the 1st dealership conventional 5W-30 change and it was good to 9k with a loss of 1 quart for the duration at 5%.

Went to Castrol Edge on the next change and the car went to 11.5k at 5%.

Spoke with a Mobile 1 Engineer (by chance at a business consultation) and they explained the new molecular discovery on their Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil and encouraged me to try. Apparently they just changed the process mid last year. So on the last two changes, tracked the car to 15k as the product prescribed and still had 11% showing on the OLM.

So my permanent choice from now on will be Mobile 1 Extended Performance 5W30 with their Mobile 1 filter.

Hope that helps.
VMR V710 19x8.5, 19x9.5 /Conti Ext Contact DWS / Eibach Sportline Kit / CTSV Brakes / SLP PowerFlo Axle Back / SLP 160 Degree Thermo / SLP UDP / VCM Performance OTR CAI / Taylor 409 Series 10.4mm Ign Wire Set - NGK Laser Iridium Plugs / Velocity Motorsports ECM/TCM Stage II Tune / Pace Performance Camaro Transmission Pan Upgrade / Rhino Rack Bike Rack
Zdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #66
hayabusa160

castrol 0w 30.
6-8k i change my oil twice a year.
Kooks long tubes, Kooks axle backs, rotofab cai, ported tb, koni yellow shocks, h&r springs, bmr bushings kit, rear toe and traction arms. Bmr sway bars. forgestar f10 20x9.5 35 offset 275/30/20, 20x10.5 42 offset 285/30/20
hayabusa160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #67
MIEngineer

Amsoil 5W30.

Mobil 1 5W30 otherwise.
MIEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #68
djerickd
G8/LSX n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa160 View Post
castrol 0w 30.
6-8k i change my oil twice a year.

just sent my 10k sample of GC off to Blackstone labs, we will see how it holds up!
09.1 G8 GT, 20x9.5/10 RD Sport RS-5's, 255/30 & 275/30 sumitomos, magnaflow catback, Kooks mids w/cats, Crawford ported TB/manifold, Spectre 4"/LS7 MAF, Rotofab, HID's, Aussie SV6 tails, GXP front bumper, GXP rear diffuser, BMR strut bushings/cradle inserts/sway, Megan Coils, CTS-V 6/4pot Brembos, HSV steering wheel, Klearz corners, HSV map lights, CHenry splitters/tuned

djerickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #69
Silver Bullet
Super Moderator

Anybody have a link for an amsoil 25k mile filter or any amsoil filter for our car? On their website when I look under g8 they have one WIX filter (which I may get because it is cheap and I know that WIX has good stuff too) and one Amsoil filter but it is obviously the wrong one.

Mods: Brembos, OBX Headers to Maxflows, VCM, RCR Intake, HSRK, LS7 Maf and tuned by Pat G.
In The Garage: Yank 2800 stall, SLP UDP, Pedders Coilovers
10.59 at 100.31 in the 1000.....8.33 at 88.13 in the 1/8....1.99 60 ft

Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #70
Dictatorsaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdaddy View Post
Apparently they just changed the process mid last year. So on the last two changes, tracked the car to 15k as the product prescribed and still had 11% showing on the OLM.

So my permanent choice from now on will be Mobile 1 Extended Performance 5W30 with their Mobile 1 filter.

Hope that helps.
The OLM does not know what oil you are running and receive no feedback whatever from the oil itself when it comes to calculating remaining oil life. In other words switching to M1 extended had nothing to do with 11% remaining on the monitor at 15K.

The OLM has a complex calculation which takes RPM, oil temp, pressure and many other parameters when it comes to calculating remaining oil life.
Dictatorsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #71
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdaddy View Post
My G8 GT is my company car... they allow us to choice our own sedan. Pretty cool hey? I purchased the car December 2011 and have had the car for just over a year and already have 85,000 miles on the car. That is the sad part! So I tend to over analyze everything and started with my oil changes. I have a great deal of faith in the OLM system and here are my findings-

Tried and tracked the 1st dealership conventional 5W-30 change and it was good to 9k with a loss of 1 quart for the duration at 5%.

Went to Castrol Edge on the next change and the car went to 11.5k at 5%.

Spoke with a Mobile 1 Engineer (by chance at a business consultation) and they explained the new molecular discovery on their Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil and encouraged me to try. Apparently they just changed the process mid last year. So on the last two changes, tracked the car to 15k as the product prescribed and still had 11% showing on the OLM.

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
The OLM does not know what oil you are running and receive no feedback whatever from the oil itself when it comes to calculating remaining oil life. In other words switching to M1 extended had nothing to do with 11% remaining on the monitor at 15K.

The OLM has a complex calculation which takes RPM, oil temp, pressure and many other parameters when it comes to calculating remaining oil life.
I was under the understanding it used several ECU parameters and the presence of several chemicals that present themselves as the oil deteriorates.
Volant intake, Solo Performance HFCs & exhaust, StopTech rotors, Hawk brake pads, Enkei Kojin w/ Michelin Super Sports, EFI Live custom tune, ATI harmonic balancer, functional hood vents, iPod and Bluetooth integrated.
EMS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #72
Dictatorsaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS Guy View Post
I was under the understanding it used several ECU parameters and the presence of several chemicals that present themselves as the oil deteriorates.
It has no clue what oil you have in there or any way of analyzing it. You could run olive oil in there and it would have no clue
Dictatorsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #73
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
It has no clue what oil you have in there or any way of analyzing it. You could run olive oil in there and it would have no clue
Reference:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145143
Volant intake, Solo Performance HFCs & exhaust, StopTech rotors, Hawk brake pads, Enkei Kojin w/ Michelin Super Sports, EFI Live custom tune, ATI harmonic balancer, functional hood vents, iPod and Bluetooth integrated.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #74
hivoltagedriver

I thought we did this once already, but here goes again. I only use Mobile 1 in all of my vehicles. Either a Fram or AC Delco filter, and change at ~10K miles. The OLM usually says that I still have 20%+ still left on the oil.
Show: 4300K TRS HIDs, LED fogs, VG Sharkfin, GXP diffuser, 10% tint, debadged, BC Coilovers, polished CTS-V wheels.
hivoltagedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #75
LINightflyer

Mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30 at 5-8k miles - aprroximately when OLM is at 50%. I will be changing to Penzoil Ulta 5w30 as it seems to clean the engine slightly better than the Mobile 1. Not sure about the Mobil 1 extended performance as it is fairly new. The OLM is a nice tool but does not take into account the type of oil & filter being used, only engine performance & temperature. Personally, I would not let the OLM get to under 25% or go beyond 1 year between oil changes no matter what kind of oil & filter being used.

09.1 Panther Black G8 GT
Volant intake w/K&N Filter, StopTech x-drilled & slotted brakes, functional hood vents, SC Cortex tune, Oracle LED Plasma Fog 9000K, Oracle Xenon HOD 6000K, 28% window tint.

Last edited by LINightflyer; 01-11-2013 at 11:11 PM.
LINightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #76
whatnext

OK I read the referenced bobistheoilguy post and it doesn't say the OLM has a sensor for ZDP levels, only that the algorithm is based on ZDP depletion measured during numerous tests.

I assume the ZDP measurement was done via oil analysis of samples. Nowhere is it stated that there is any sensor for any chemicals in the OLM system.
whatnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #77
LINightflyer

You got it...The algorithm is based on averages of the ZDDP levels in multitudes of different oils & viscosities tested. Like I said...a good tool, but, I wouldn't bet my engine on it. When they invent a sensor that can actually detect the Zinc & Phosphorus levels among other measurements such as the molecular cohesion percentage for the dirt & soot particles in the oil, than I will be really impressed and...more trustworthy.
LINightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #78
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerickd View Post
just sent my 10k sample of GC off to Blackstone labs, we will see how it holds up!
Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINightflyer View Post
You got it...The algorithm is based on averages of the ZDDP levels in multitudes of different oils & viscosities tested. Like I said...a good tool, but, I wouldn't bet my engine on it. When they invent a sensor that can actually detect the Zinc & Phosphorus levels among other measurements such as the molecular cohesion percentage for the dirt & soot particles in the oil, than I will be really impressed and...more trustworthy.
hmmmm. Another puzzle piece.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #79
EMS Guy

Just ordered my WIX filter. Gonna be doing Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Let's see what happens.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #80
bostonf4$

I use Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic "high mileage" - I change it every 7,500 miles or so, usually has 40-50% on the OLM. I could go longer but I never have, earlier on I changed it religiously @ 5,000 miles.

Could I go longer? Sure. But I for one am convinced a more rigorous oil change interval is essential to avoiding any of the "lifter failures" people are experiencing w/ these cars. Thin old oil could be the culprit.

You can agree or disagree, but I'm the one w/ 102,000 miles on the car and not one tick of a problem
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement