Too much power?? - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > Lounge

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
MotorCityG8

Luckily only your pride was hurt during this move. If I plan on laying into it around a corner I make sure I'm in manual mode and in 2nd gear already. I have plenty of power to make the rear end kick out in 2nd and it keeps from having that unwanted shift mid turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
There are some situations in which ESP can prevent an accident which no amount of driving skill could avoid. ESP is able to individually brake wheels, for example, which a driver cannot. Hence it is advisable to leave it on by default in case such a scenario should arise.
I always turn off traction control right when I get into the car. I want to be in control of the car at all times. If you are used to driving without all these crutches and then react how you normally would and ESP kicks in suddenly and your not expecting it then it could ruin your day very quickly.

2008 G8 GT PBM / No Roof - SOLD

Go: Livernois Stage 1 Cam / Circle D 3000 Stall / Ported TB & Intake / Roto-Fab CAI / Pat G Tune / SLP Powerflow Axlebacks / OBX 1 7/8 LT w/3in midpipe / LS7 MAF

Show: Avant Garde M310 / Eibach & Fe3 set up / Plasti Dipped Wheel and Kidney grills / Debadged / Tint (20% windshield, 5% sides, 20% on top of 5% on the rear) / Bathurst Stripes.
MotorCityG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
pony killer

Be careful driving man. There's a time and place for things.
pony killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
MFE

I have years of competitive autocross experience, and even more years of road course driving and instructing experience, and I humbly submit that if it weren't for the stability control on these things I probably would have 180'd it on my first cold-pavement WOT-1-2 shift. The rear end snaps to the right hard. Get thee to an autocross, shut off the traction control, and wring that thing out, so you know how it behaves at its limits, how to anticipate it, and how to correct for it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #24
Rillo71
There was one?

TC off at all times except during wet weather....... doing donuts in a residential area is also not recommended.......

Not one of better moments by far from an intelligence standpoint, but from a fun standpoint off the charts!
2009 G8 GXP, SRM, M6, Onyx, Roof. (#1818 of 1829) a.k.a Gianna
Show: Tint, VG Sharkfin, 3M clear bra, 6000k HIDs, 20" TSW Interlagos.
Go: BMR, GForce, MGW, Monster Clutch, 3" SOLO, Dynotech, Squash DW255s, Tein, NLP Twin Turbo!
Stock: 363 whp/367 tq SAE (Dyno Jet) 13.149 @ 108.21 mph
Mods (old): 399 /399 SAE (Dyno Jet) 12.711 @ 108.66 1.548 60' w/MT ET Streets
Mods (new): 602/614 SAE 10 psi, 6* (Dyno Jet) 11.33 @ 125.26
Rillo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
deezomaxima
MUSCLE Biotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
There are some situations in which ESP can prevent an accident which no amount of driving skill could avoid. ESP is able to individually brake wheels, for example, which a driver cannot. Hence it is advisable to leave it on by default in case such a scenario should arise.
+1

There is no reason to turn off ESP in everyday commuting when you're behaving on the road.

Morimoto - Mobile 1 - Harbor Freight - 3M - Spectre - Superchips Flashpaq - Elemental LED - SuperBrightLED - TCW3 Fuel Additive
deezomaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Eric_GT

I have been there, done that in my younger years.
However, one time after being out with the guys for an entire afternoon of drinking we decided to run out for some food.
Granted, we are all in our late 30's, early 40's. But just add alcohol= instant idiots.

I floored the car coming out of a turn and it took all I had to keep it from fishtailing across the street into a line of oncoming cars...all innocent drivers. It then came back across my lane barely missing a guardrail and fishtailing into the grass berm. It finally straightened out and everyone was ok.

Thank God no one was injured and I never, ever allow myself to get behind the wheel of the G8 or any wheel after having an afternoon like that.

Just be careful out there, bud.

2009 MSM G8GT- Premium/Sport
1 of less than 500/1 of a Kind!
Eric_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
BradSlvGT

I got a similar story. The other day I left one bar and was driving to another bar. I had a few drinks and I knew I was over the limit. So what do I do? Turn off traction control! Graf idea when drunk. So I raced to the next bar...fish tailing and everything. Had my radar detector so I completely forgot about the law since it wasn't going off.

So I'm almost to the next bar and my buddy pulls up behind me. Or so I think. Blue and red lights start flashing. So at this point I know I'm screwed because I'm over the limit and driving like a hooligan.

I pull over and had him the required documents. Of course he asks me to step out of the car. They ask ("they" because three patrol cars are now parked behind mine) if I'd been drinking. I say yes. They do the finger test thingy to check my eyes.

I'm super nervous. Not too drunk that I can't stand still, but I'm pretty sure the test is highly accurate. So the cop finishes and says "you're right on the limit. Why don't you just drive home." Wow!! What a relief. As a turned back to my car he said "brad, do you know who I am?" "Umm, no, sir." "I live right next to you" I had no idea but as extremely fortunate and no longer drive like that.

Sold - 2009 G8 GT

BradSlvGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
MotorCityG8

Wow you both got extremely lucky. I know I have driven home on a few occasions when I shouldn't have and done stupid stuff but luckily nothing serious happened like spinning out or getting flicked by the popo's

2008 G8 GT PBM / No Roof - SOLD

Go: Livernois Stage 1 Cam / Circle D 3000 Stall / Ported TB & Intake / Roto-Fab CAI / Pat G Tune / SLP Powerflow Axlebacks / OBX 1 7/8 LT w/3in midpipe / LS7 MAF

Show: Avant Garde M310 / Eibach & Fe3 set up / Plasti Dipped Wheel and Kidney grills / Debadged / Tint (20% windshield, 5% sides, 20% on top of 5% on the rear) / Bathurst Stripes.
MotorCityG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement