what tires came stock from the dealership on a g8? - Page 3 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > G8 Talk (V6)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #41
Transporter

Well gee, theres only 20 other guys on this thread that agree with me and if you mosey over to the Pontiac Solstice forum, you'll find about 150 more. (lighter car, shorter wheelbase) We can't all be wrong.
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #42
mrbirdman330

Are you on 19's or 18's?
2008 Liquid Red V6: K&N Air Filter, Commodore Tail Lamps, GM 410mm Antenna Mast, Coil Spring Rubbers for rear suspension, Pontiac Mud Guards (Winter Only), COMMODORE Badge, GM Chiclet Debadge, UK Tax Disc, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 96W tires, and an Interstate Battery.
mrbirdman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #43
Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdman330 View Post
Are you on 19's or 18's?
245/45/18 on both cars...
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #44
mrbirdman330

Do you know if they were mounted correctly?
2008 Liquid Red V6: K&N Air Filter, Commodore Tail Lamps, GM 410mm Antenna Mast, Coil Spring Rubbers for rear suspension, Pontiac Mud Guards (Winter Only), COMMODORE Badge, GM Chiclet Debadge, UK Tax Disc, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 96W tires, and an Interstate Battery.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
Rayvan
Rayvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoeto View Post
The RE050A should not be a OEM tire period. It has terrible treadwear and lasts 20k miles at most. For some reason BMW uses them as OEM on their sport package equipped 3 series as well so I had the misfortune of owning two cars with these money pits installed.
Still have my stock RE050A tires on my '08 GT. 42,000 miles. They're getting close to the wear-bars though.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #46
Transporter

Quote:
Do you know if they were mounted correctly?
Really !!! Are we really gonna go there ??? BTW, How can you tell the expensive RS-A's from the cheap RS-A's ???
Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #47
mrbirdman330

I asked a valid question because I sell tires. I see all the time, asymetrical tires mounted backwards. I see directional tires on the wrong side constantly. So thats why I asked, most Goodyear car tires are asymetrical and people don't know that. I already told you shoulder pattern on the outside is different.

Second I AM GOING TO STATE THIS AGAIN. Bridgestone RE050A's are not an all season. They are a max performance summer only tire. They are designed to be ran hard, used and abused, beaten senseless... etc... Don't complain they do not last long, theyre not an all season tire.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #48
showstopper9ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
Shouldn't matter for the year or model, just size.
18s(V6 & Premium) = Goodyear RSA
19s(Sport & GXP) = Bridgestone RE050

I put my Conti DWS on right after I got the car at 19k since Summer only does work here in St. Louis for a DD, lol. So I have no experience with either.
I bought my g8 from a dealership used, and Continental DWS's were on it, with medium to low tread left, and i love them, i have driven them in the snow a couple times and they seem to have no problem driving in snow. Are you enjoying your DWS's??
showstopper9ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #49
Transporter

Quote:
I asked a valid question because I sell tires. I see all the time, asymetrical tires mounted backwards. I see directional tires on the wrong side constantly. So thats why I asked, most Goodyear car tires are asymetrical and people don't know that. I already told you shoulder pattern on the outside is different.

Second I AM GOING TO STATE THIS AGAIN. Bridgestone RE050A's are not an all season. They are a max performance summer only tire. They are designed to be ran hard, used and abused, beaten senseless... etc... Don't complain they do not last long, theyre not an all season tire.
I don't have RE050A's nor due I care about them. I have Goodyear RS-A's, possibly the worst tire ever made. I am looking to replace them as soon as possible. Any suggestions ???
Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #50
mrbirdman330

You won't find much in stock that is ''Descent" its either low or no mileage warranty. I'm going with Bridgestone RE0760 Sports or RE050A's for summer and picking up two more Nittos for winter. I hate Goodyear with a passion because of their flimsy sidewalls but at the same time I can not complain really about noise and or traction issues with the RS-A's I have had on my Pontiac. They were descent in the snow and fair on the ice, rain no traction problems, noise nothing too huge due to how well sound insulated our cabins are. You're pretty much going to have to try and see what you like. We have a sport size, touring tires are practically non-existant unless you're daring enough to try Goodyears Assurance Comfort Touring which is stupid expensive and offers a 70k treadwear warranty that I can guarantee you won't see. You'll be lucky to get 55K miles on them.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #51
Transporter

Thanks to global warming / climate change / end of days or whatever. Our winters here have been quite mild over the last decade. I was thinking about a set of dedicated snows and dedicated summers but now I'm thinking outside the box. My track days are about done, so summer tires that turn into trycycle tires when it gets cold would not be a good investment. So I have turned my attention to the Ultra performance all-season category so I can just leave them on all year. The frontrunner right now is Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105. Good price, good reviews (from G8GT bros) and they look good. Got any feedback ??? Think we'll agree to disagree about the RS-A's. That ship has sailed.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #52
mrbirdman330

I don't sell Hankooks much except to people with Caddy's or Buicks looking for any remaining White Walls especially on the last gen Caprices. I've lost much flavor for directional tires since General killed the Exclaim UPH which were the best directionals and longest lasting I had on my Focus. I hear the G-Max holds the torch well to it. Best advice I can offer is give them a shot. What's there to lose out of the matter. I'm going for more Holden Appearances with my V6 and RS-A's are not on that list. I have gotten massive amounts of feedback and customers telling me I was right that Kumho's Escta LX Platinum is a pretty good tire as well and suited them nicely. So I will throw that one out as well. I will advise greatly to also stay away from Nexen Tires, their sidewalls are beyond spongy and you will always look like you've got flat tires.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #53
Transporter

I don't want to be a dick but Kumhos over Hankooks really ???
Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #54
mrbirdman330

Never had a problem with Kumho Tires. Only two Kumhos I do not sell, the Solus KH16 and the KH24. They are a great tire.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #55
juspimpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoeto View Post
I think both the RSA's and the RE050A are pretty terrible tires. The RSA is the worst OEM tire that I have ever seen (before Hyundai started putting Kumho's on some of their new cars).

The RE050A should not be a OEM tire period. It has terrible treadwear and lasts 20k miles at most. For some reason BMW uses them as OEM on their sport package equipped 3 series as well so I had the misfortune of owning two cars with these money pits installed.

I have no idea about the RSA as I have never had them.

The RE050A is an awesome tire that lasts more than 20k as many have stated. You cannot expect burnouts to help tire life. Corvettes come with RE050A also or at least they used to at some point. I purchased a few 275s rears from Vette owners and put them on my G8 and they work very well. My stock set is still mounted and I am over 34K with them and lovin them.

Quote:
Every tire I have had on a vehicle has always behaved the same in wet weather, you romp on it and it spins freely. I've never had a handling issues period with my G8 running original RS-A's on the front, and expensive RS-A's on the back and this included in the rain at speeds of 80+ mph on the interstate on one occasion to keep up with another vehicle while traveling to a tire sales training session. I normally do not exceed 70 mph period in any weather condition. I have no clue why you claim they have no traction in rain when technically that is accountable for any tire on the market. Same goes for ice tires, even studless snow and ice tires will spin out on ice if you romp on it hard enough or have the tire at a degree of angle where the sipping can not bite physically. Summing it up, I've never had an issue with RS-A's in the rain that includes having both styles.
And you sell tires? wow.
I had Goodyear F1 tires on a solstice that would spin freely all the time and fail to hook in wet weather. It was due to tire age more than tire quality. Replaced them with Conti Extreme DW in 275s and now with over 300hp to the rear wheels, it will almost hold a hard launch in wet weather. They are great tires and I am sure there are more than perform as well or better than these.
94 Bronco, 5.8L, 35s and rust
03 RC51
juspimpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #56
showstopper9ren

Default cost of tires

Quote:
Never had a problem with Kumho Tires. Only two Kumhos I do not sell, the Solus KH16 and the KH24. They are a great tire.
why do tires that are for 19's or 20's cost more than for 18's?
showstopper9ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #57
mrbirdman330

That's funny.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #58
Richard Craneum

IMHO; the 18 inch rim with OEM tire size handles really well on the roads around my area. As spirited as I am going with a harder tire on a lower profile is not a good idea.

Fortune Favors The Bold
Richard Craneum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #59
LuminaME

Bought the car second hand, and I first replaced tires to what they'd come from oem, RE050 (18", found them in RunFlats) .. tire had excellent grip on dry, but horrible wet grip, and unbearable harsh ride comfort (I know I know ... mostly coz RF). When i went to 19", I put PilotSport (PS2), like their wet handling.
TreadWear & life, this or that I'd not expect them to last much (actually I change tires around 20k miles)

As for what OEM choose to put on a car line ... I think it's more up to what better deal they get from tire manufacturers (marketing and pricing agreements!)

Transformation
LuminaME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #60
Screw991le
Red Sox Nation !!!

My 08 with 19s came with the Bridgestones. I changed them to KUHMO all seasons, and sold the bridges, for a pretty penny. I never switch out my tires for the season, I always use all-seaons.
Advertisement

Tags
g8 tires , pontiac g8 , stock tires , tires