G8 issues on really cold days? - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > Lounge

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
pony killer

I have not had it where it has shut down after a few minutes . I haven't been driving her the last few days do to snow and crap salt but have been using my remote start daily,once in the morning and once at night . Once in a while I have missed the morning start . So I to had noticed and yes it did it to me tonight where the lock light and remote light will illuminate but doesn't start like the rest of you . I was thinking tonight that maybe this was because I'd just let it run till she turns herself off in the morning and not actually getting in and driving it or using the key to turn it off ,that it would not start via remote until I used the key to start it . I tried as soon as I got home from work and nothing just as we have been having happen. So I unlocked it ,got in and she started right up. I turned it off ,locked her and tried the remote start and she fired right up with the key . I did the same thing the last time and it did the same with same results. A lot of times I hop in and start it . So now its gonna be an experiment to so if it happens same way tomorrow or if it was coincidence.
pony killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
MRTaylor17

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreosu View Post
Our cars hate the cold, IMO. And by cold, I mean 15 degrees or less outside and sitting in it for 5+ hours. When my car is out in weather like that, I get a different exhaust note, different engine noise, etc.

It's been like that all 5 winters I've owned like car so I'm not concerned at this point.
^^ this!

I get a groaning exhaust note and grumbly engine noise til I hit operating temp.

Agreed: G8 gets angry in cold weather.

SHOW: GXP Diffuser, Sharkfin Antenna, 35% Tint, Rocker Panel L76 Emblems, Holden Rebadge, Black Calipers, Weathertech Floormats, Bluestar 2010

MO': BMR Rear Cradle, Strut Mount, Radius Rod & LCA Bushings, BMR Rear Sway Bar, Russell Steel Brake Lines, EBC Red Street Pads, FE3 Struts, Eibach Springs
MRTaylor17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
mrbirdman330

The DIC likes to mess up when its cold out, the engine does growl more but I also attribute that to having a High Flow Air Filter. I also notice more outside noise when its colder out the tires actually are heard as it I can hear engines from other cars etc....
2008 Liquid Red V6: K&N Air Filter, Commodore Tail Lamps, GM 410mm Antenna Mast, Coil Spring Rubbers for rear suspension, Pontiac Mud Guards (Winter Only), COMMODORE Badge, GM Chiclet Debadge, UK Tax Disc, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 96W tires, and an Interstate Battery.
mrbirdman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
Supercharged

Default Re: G8 issues on really cold days?

Mine was ticking like crazy for about 19 seconds after a 12 hour work day and it was cold here in Chicago.

Normally its just 1-2 seconds and gone. This was ticking then the cold engin rattle if you don't let her warm up a bit. I think its piston slap at that point. Then it holds gear longer til it gets to operating temp.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Show: Tint 15% rear/35% sides, 6K HID's, LED Fogs, Autodim rearview, bass boost powered by KICKER & 2 JL 12's, debadged. Sharkfin, GXP Diffuser, 20x9 Chrome Camaro 20's, CTS-V Brembos, BMR Sways, In Dash NAV Kit, and Black and Blue Recaro Booster Seat.
Go: Kooks Mids, RotoFab, SC Tuner
Wants:lots of em
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged View Post
Mine was ticking like crazy for about 19 seconds after a 12 hour work day and it was cold here in Chicago.

Normally its just 1-2 seconds and gone. This was ticking then the cold engin rattle if you don't let her warm up a bit. I think its piston slap at that point. Then it holds gear longer til it gets to operating temp.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Mine ticked pretty damn loud yesterday after my long work day. Actually concerned me for a minute, but then it went away after about 15 seconds (noticed as I remote started the car from about 50 feet away). I hadn't experienced that before.

As for holding gear longer when its cold, yeah mine does that too.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT
RotoFab CAI, Pace Setter long tube headers,
X-Pipe, Hooker Maxflow Axlebacks waiting to be installed, Cincy Speed dyno tune.

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

30% Tint, V8 6.0 Litre badges, Pontiac lettering debadge on the trunk
foreosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
Back in a Pontiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdman330 View Post
The DIC likes to mess up when its cold out, .
no one likes a cold dic

Back in a Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #27
zepcom
Administrator

I was waiting for that seinfeld reference, was not disappointed.

The key here is to not romp on the car when it's not yet up to normal operating temperature, that's when the most "wear" can happen if the metals aren't warm enough yet and the oil still has it's "cold" properties in place.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced catback with take-off SLP tips.
SOLO J-pipes developed and perfected with my test mule!
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #28
mrbirdman330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in a Pontiac View Post
no one likes a cold dic

Pardon my sarcasm but really???
2008 Liquid Red V6: K&N Air Filter, Commodore Tail Lamps, GM 410mm Antenna Mast, Coil Spring Rubbers for rear suspension, Pontiac Mud Guards (Winter Only), COMMODORE Badge, GM Chiclet Debadge, UK Tax Disc, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 96W tires, and an Interstate Battery.
mrbirdman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #29
pony killer

So today as I said in past post ,started it via remote start and let it run without me turning it off (just let it shut down on its own ). Came home from work and tried to start it via remote again and nothing. So tomorrow I'm gonna start it with key and when I get home see if she fires via remote start .oh and I did start it with key,turned it off and locked it .tried remote start and it worked right away .
You may have something else going on but I got a feeling that its normal for it to not start again via remote start after it shuts itself down. Mine does not turn off after only a few minutes though. Nor do I got the tick issue. Knock on wood . I've noticed my tpms sensors are acting up . I literally filled and checked them last week .
Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #30
Bob the Noob

It's been a little warmer now (15 F+) and she hasn't had any issues. I'm kinda thinking it was the extreme cold at this point.

Go: Roto Fab CAI, Livernois Tune, Kook's Mid Length 1 7/8", Corsa Mid-section, Solo Axle Backs, Chrome TVS2300, 8PSI Pulley, 60# injectors, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, and other related goodies, BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, BMR Drive Shaft Loop, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires

Stop: CTS-V 4 piston, Camaro rotors, Hawks HPS Pads

Show: GXP diffuser, Breyton GTF2 wheels

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Bob the Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #31
Back in a Pontiac

bob- my opinion is it was just a coincidence.
Like I said it has happened to me and others for no rhyme or reason, all weather conditions. Years ago with fresh batteries, sometimes when I would have driven the car a hour or two before I remote started it
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #32
pony killer

So day three of my test and today I started it with key in the morning and came home ,started it up with key fob just fine . So its safe to say that yes . When you start your car and no matter how long it takes ,if you let it shut down on its own ,you won't be able to restart it via remote again . Don't know if you unlock it and relock it ,if that would work, didn't try. But for sure it will start if you start it with key and shut her down .
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #33
Mike Jung

You only get 2 remote starts/attempts before you have to use the key in the ignition.

The remote start only leaves the car idling for 10 minutes.

Former G8 owner

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
'09 PBM G8 GT with Premium Package & Sunroof
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #34
pony killer

Huh ,mine is only giving me one every time . Unless its do to the cold weather but assumed by now that it was normal to only get one go of it . Yea I knew of the ten minute marker though. Op had said his shut down quick . Wonder why I only get one go at it ? Thanks though
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
johnh
Addicted

No real issues here. I'd definitely look at the battery first, check in in Engineering mode--does it start fine manually? If so, perhaps its something in the mods (Tune, SC) that's messing with the idle at very cold temps.

My trans usually feels a big sluggish till she's warmed up, but no issues on the motor side--but I am much closer to stock.
Misc: AutoDim Mirror, Almost Factory Bluetooth
Mods in Waiting: Pedders Springs, FE3 Shocks/Struts, GXP Prototype Seats.
2013 Dodge Caravan R/T - family Hauler

2013 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4
2002 Grand Prix GTP 40th Anniversary....stock
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #36
MotorCityG8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Noob View Post
It's been a little warmer now (15 F+) and she hasn't had any issues. I'm kinda thinking it was the extreme cold at this point.
Mine acted fine in the extreme cold weather but I do get the random remote start my car and it immediately shuts off. It rarely happens but its weird when it does it.

2008 G8 GT PBM / No Roof - SOLD

Go: Livernois Stage 1 Cam / Circle D 3000 Stall / Ported TB & Intake / Roto-Fab CAI / Pat G Tune / SLP Powerflow Axlebacks / OBX 1 7/8 LT w/3in midpipe / LS7 MAF

Show: Avant Garde M310 / Eibach & Fe3 set up / Plasti Dipped Wheel and Kidney grills / Debadged / Tint (20% windshield, 5% sides, 20% on top of 5% on the rear) / Bathurst Stripes.
MotorCityG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #37
Back in a Pontiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony killer View Post
Huh ,mine is only giving me one every time . Unless its do to the cold weather but assumed by now that it was normal to only get one go of it . Yea I knew of the ten minute marker though. Op had said his shut down quick . Wonder why I only get one go at it ? Thanks though
before the car shuts off you repeat the remote start process, this allows another cycle. You can do this 2 times
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #38
Gwizzy

I garage park at night, but with it sitting all day at work it runs ok. It doesn't really feel like normal until it's at peak op temp. But that goes with any car.

My side marker did magically pop out a couple weeks ago though. I looked out the window at work, and noticed it was just hanging there... I went outside and snapped it back in, no problems since.
Advertisement