Block Heater Turn-On Temperature - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 
Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > G8 GT Talk (V8)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Aaron407
Senior Member
 
Aaron407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,563
Default Block Heater Turn-On Temperature

For you guys who live in the frosty climates, you may have noticed that your block heater cord states that the block heater doesn't operate unless the temperature is below 0F (-18C). My opinion is that this seems a touch colder than I would like. Does anyone know where the sensor is that measures the temperature used in this decision? If it's a simple thermistor it might be possible to add a resistor to the circuit and modify the measurement, as long as it's not the same sensor that reads the outdoor temperature or any temperatures used in engine operation.

Any ideas?
__________________
2009 PBM G8 GT
TVS 1900 Maggie w/2.8" pulley (9 PSI), Maximizer LTs, High Flow Cats, LS9 injectors, Rotofab CAI, LC-2 WB, 40A KB BAP, TR6ix plugs, self tuned [147 flashes as of 14-Dec-2014], Camaro Paddle Shifters, UPR catch can, 4300k HIDs, Remote Start Heated Seat Control Module , Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, JBL GTO628's, JL 8w3v3's w/JBL P180.2, Bridgestone RE-11 tires
Aaron407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
donr
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13
Default

It is in the end of the cord that you plug into the extension cord. Apparently the use of the heater without the thermostat will cause a DTC P0114 code. Apparently it thinks something is wrong with the temp. sensor.

I wonder if the computer will have a cow if I get the coolant temp. up to 70F, shut off the motor & restart it. Same condition.

Somebody needs whacked upside the head for that one.

I know i don't need one for the climate I'm in for the car to start. I like to use them to cut down on the length of time it is in the enrichment cycle.

Don
__________________
2009 G8 GT - STOCK
donr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Identity Crisis
The Communicator
 
Identity Crisis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta CANADA
Posts: 337
Default

Its in the plug end. It is the round dome on the plug end.
__________________

-------------------------
2009 Pontiac G8 GT 1SC
K&N Filter-Charger $250, SuperChips Cortex 93-Tune $250, MSD Ignition Wires $35, 180deg Thermostat, Powerbond/SLP UDP, APEXI Hyper-Ground System, Castrol Edge 5W30 Synthetic, M1 Oil Filter, Redline Water Wetter, Amsoil Synthetic power steering fluid, Hawk Brakes, Russell SS Brake Lines, Wilwood XRP Brake Fluid, third-shift dash plate, GM Performance Division dash plaque, 35% Tint, GXP Front Cover & GXP Rear Valance complete $500
Identity Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
jaxredg8
Yep, that just happened..
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bainbridge, OH
Posts: 5,018
Default

I just moved far enough south so I dont need them. Problem solved....
__________________

2008 Liquid Red G8, Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
219/230, 607/610, 114 LSA, DOD Delete
Kooks LTH, kooks catted x-pipe, kooks axle back, Roto-fab CAI and 25% udp, DMH electric exhaust cutouts, little shot(alright, maybe not so little) of happy juice courtesy of HSW and tune by Tony G at HP Performance. Oh yeah, and 08 Super Bee as well!
jaxredg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
panelout
Member
 
panelout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Craven, SK
Posts: 95
Default

You could cut the end off and replace with it a standard plug in.
__________________
09 GT Loaded Liquid Red, Red leather interior.
Show:
Red shift level, sports pedals, extended OEM remote, 3med front clip
Modding 07 Solstice GXP
panelout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
courtroom19
Senior Member
 
courtroom19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton AB
Posts: 2,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr View Post
It is in the end of the cord that you plug into the extension cord. Apparently the use of the heater without the thermostat will cause a DTC P0114 code. Apparently it thinks something is wrong with the temp. sensor.

I wonder if the computer will have a cow if I get the coolant temp. up to 70F, shut off the motor & restart it. Same condition.

Somebody needs whacked upside the head for that one.

I know i don't need one for the climate I'm in for the car to start. I like to use them to cut down on the length of time it is in the enrichment cycle.

Don
On our cars DTC P0116 will set. I think the car will also think it is overheating, have trouble starting(extended crank, no fire unless give it gas) & shut down your remote start while the dtc is stored.

Quote:
The internal clock of the ECM will record the amount of time the ignition is OFF. If the calibrated ignition OFF timer is met at start-up, the ECM will compare the temperature difference between the ECT and the intake air temperature (IAT), to determine if the temperatures are within an acceptable operating range of each other.
The computer will not have a cow.


It's best just to leave your block heater cord alone. It is designed to function properly in cold climates. For many many years owners manuals have recommended plugging in your car only if temps drop below -18deg C.
__________________
Need Wheels or Tires? I can help.
09 MGM GT 1SD With Roof. Sold
09 PSM G8 GXP M6 (1 of 9)SOLD
courtroom19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
tweeedle
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 26
Default

This morning while driving to work I got the "Contact Dealer" message on the DIC. Called OnStar and they did a diagnostic which reported an error related to engine coolant (I assume it was P0116). This was before she explained to me that the engine and transmission is what makes the car move which I thought was weird but I figure it's just part of their spiel and they have a list of scripted responses for all the error codes.

Took it to the dealer and a tech confirmed the error. It was -25C last night and I mentioned I had it plugged in since 8PM the night before. They recommended I put it on a timer and to not have it plugged in for more than 8 hours. They also said this was the first GT model to come in with the problem and it's a common problem with other GM vehicles with the thermostat plug.

It seems to me a better design would be to put the temperature sensor closer to the engine or at least inside the engine bay where there would be some heat built up to eventually shutoff power to the heater.

In the meantime I will put it on a timer for 3AM to 9AM to give it a max of 6 hours to be safe.
tweeedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Mike Jung
Senior Member
 
Mike Jung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 781
Default

I read somewhere that plugging the engine block heater on for more than 4-hours was a waste of electricity.

So, I would set the timer for 4 hours before you expect to start it in the morning.

Glad I haven't had to use the block heater yet this winter lol
(It only hit -19C/-2F once this winter so far.)
__________________
'14 Crystal Red Tintcoat Camaro SS RS coupe

Former G8 owner

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
'09 PBM G8 GT with Premium Package & Sunroof
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
donr
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13
Default

This info is from a GM-Truck sight reguarding what it takes to get the code. I don't know if all of the information is the same for G8's. A gentleman has modified his plug to bypass the thermostat. I may try to get a different cord instead of ruining the $67 proper cord.

Don

**************************************************
Conditions for Running the DTC

The ignition is ON.

DTCs P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0128, P0502, P0503 are not set.

The start-up IAT is more than -7C (+20F).

The vehicle has a minimum ignition OFF time of 10 hours.

DTC P0116 runs once per drive cycle when the above conditions are met.


Conditions for Setting the DTC

The start-up ECT is more than the start-up IAT by 100C (180F). OR

The start-up ECT is more than the start-up IAT by 15C (27F), then the vehicle must be driven for more than 400 seconds over 24 km/h (15 mph). If the IAT sensor temperature decreases more than 8C (14F), a block heater is detected and the test is aborted. If the IAT sensor temperature does not decrease, a block heater was not detected and DTC P0116 sets.


Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.

The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.


Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
*******************************************
__________________
2009 G8 GT - STOCK
donr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
Mike Jung
Senior Member
 
Mike Jung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 781
Default

Had this happen to me on Wednesday morning.

I've used the block heater a couple of times before & never had it happen until now.

Toronto weather stations reported it was around -21C/-6F.

My car said it was about -17C/1F outside.

Had the block heater plugged in on a timer for 4.5 hours.

Engine coolant read about 18C/64F in the Engineering mode before starting the car.

Had the auto climate control at 23C/73F & the fan on high.

About 10-15 minutes later driving...
The car goes ding & the DIC says with a big X contact dealer.

The high speed cooling fans came on.
Lost my engine coolant temperature gauge display, needle dropped to nothing.
The reading in the engineering mode would only read 0C/32F.

Pulled a pending code of P0116 code.

It wouldn't go away or stop running my high speed coolant fans until my car was parked over night (greater than the 10 hours needed) to run another cold start driving cycle test.
(& I didn't use the block heater that morning as it was only -15C/5F.)

& it was poor sounding trying to start the car with the ECT sensor offline.
Like it was going to stall out & choke.
__________________
'14 Crystal Red Tintcoat Camaro SS RS coupe

Former G8 owner

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
'09 PBM G8 GT with Premium Package & Sunroof

Last edited by Mike Jung; 01-26-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
thunder550
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 127
Default Re: Block Heater Turn-On Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jung View Post
I read somewhere that plugging the engine block heater on for more than 4-hours was a waste of electricity.

So, I would set the timer for 4 hours before you expect to start it in the morning.

Glad I haven't had to use the block heater yet this winter lol
(It only hit -19C/-2F once this winter so far.)
The diesel truck guys say 3-4 hours is more than enough time to heat things up. I'm sure the cars are the same. The block heaters draw a lot of current, i think i read 10 amps...leaving that plugged in and running all night every night will really bump up your power bill. Timer is definitely the way to go.



Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
__________________



2011 LML CCSB Silverado
- stock
1999 RCSB 1500 4x4 Silverado - LLY/Allison swapped - 5300 lbs - 1/2 ton running gear - 3.42 gears - TrueTrac - LBZ mouthpiece - homemade EGR delete - SDP downpipe - 5" Diamond Eye exhaust - LML DS manifold - Alligator Performance PCV reroute - Kory DSP5 tuned - 13.14 @ 102.7, 1.81 60', 7725 DA

thunder550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
p.r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 114
Default

I was wondering if mine worked. Maybe this is why...

-28C tonight (-14.4F), feels like -41C (-41.8F) with the wind chill.... so it better work.
__________________
|| A man is not finished when he is defeated; he is finished when he quits. ||

2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
p.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
williamGT
Junior Member
 
williamGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yellowknife NT
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeedle View Post
This morning while driving to work I got the "Contact Dealer" message on the DIC. Called OnStar and they did a diagnostic which reported an error related to engine coolant (I assume it was P0116). This was before she explained to me that the engine and transmission is what makes the car move which I thought was weird but I figure it's just part of their spiel and they have a list of scripted responses for all the error codes.

Took it to the dealer and a tech confirmed the error. It was -25C last night and I mentioned I had it plugged in since 8PM the night before. They recommended I put it on a timer and to not have it plugged in for more than 8 hours. They also said this was the first GT model to come in with the problem and it's a common problem with other GM vehicles with the thermostat plug.

It seems to me a better design would be to put the temperature sensor closer to the engine or at least inside the engine bay where there would be some heat built up to eventually shutoff power to the heater.

In the meantime I will put it on a timer for 3AM to 9AM to give it a max of 6 hours to be safe.
Old thread, but my car does this now, I started my car to leave it on while I had a shower (-20 weather), I went to get my friend and the car DIC came on contact dealer and the temp gauge was like it wasn't working....I pulled over to a parking lot to turn off the car and restart it and it wouldn't start up...so I popped the hood and felt the rad hoses upper was warm and lower was cold, so I felt in front of the thermostat was cold and behind was hot. would this be a bad thermostat?

This is my summer car but I had to take it out of storage last week as my winter beater died.
williamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #14
Joe'sFastG8
Senior Member
 
Joe'sFastG8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 457
Default Block Heater Turn-On Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamGT View Post
Old thread, but my car does this now, I started my car to leave it on while I had a shower (-20 weather), I went to get my friend and the car DIC came on contact dealer and the temp gauge was like it wasn't working....I pulled over to a parking lot to turn off the car and restart it and it wouldn't start up...so I popped the hood and felt the rad hoses upper was warm and lower was cold, so I felt in front of the thermostat was cold and behind was hot. would this be a bad thermostat?

This is my summer car but I had to take it out of storage last week as my winter beater died.
Sounds like a faulty Engine Coolant Temp sensor. Any way to check the codes?
Joe'sFastG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #15
Mike Jung
Senior Member
 
Mike Jung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr View Post
This info is from a GM-Truck sight reguarding what it takes to get the code. I don't know if all of the information is the same for G8's. A gentleman has modified his plug to bypass the thermostat. I may try to get a different cord instead of ruining the $67 proper cord.

Don

**************************************************
Conditions for Running the DTC

• The ignition is ON.

• DTCs P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0128, P0502, P0503 are not set.

• The start-up IAT is more than -7C (+20F).

• The vehicle has a minimum ignition OFF time of 10 hours.

• DTC P0116 runs once per drive cycle when the above conditions are met.


Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The start-up ECT is more than the start-up IAT by 100C (180F). OR

• The start-up ECT is more than the start-up IAT by 15C (27F), then the vehicle must be driven for more than 400 seconds over 24 km/h (15 mph). If the IAT sensor temperature decreases more than 8C (14F), a block heater is detected and the test is aborted. If the IAT sensor temperature does not decrease, a block heater was not detected and DTC P0116 sets.


Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.

The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.


Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
*******************************************
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jung View Post
Had this happen to me on Wednesday morning.

I've used the block heater a couple of times before & never had it happen until now.

Toronto weather stations reported it was around -21C/-6F.

My car said it was about -17C/1F outside.

Had the block heater plugged in on a timer for 4.5 hours.

Engine coolant read about 18C/64F in the Engineering mode before starting the car.

Had the auto climate control at 23C/73F & the fan on high.

About 10-15 minutes later driving...
The car goes ding & the DIC says with a big X contact dealer.

The high speed cooling fans came on.
Lost my engine coolant temperature gauge display, needle dropped to nothing.
The reading in the engineering mode would only read 0C/32F.

Pulled a pending code of P0116 code.

It wouldn't go away or stop running my high speed coolant fans until my car was parked over night (greater than the 10 hours needed) to run another cold start driving cycle test.
(& I didn't use the block heater that morning as it was only -15C/5F.)

& it was poor sounding trying to start the car with the ECT sensor offline.
Like it was going to stall out & choke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamGT View Post
Old thread, but my car does this now, I started my car to leave it on while I had a shower (-20 weather), I went to get my friend and the car DIC came on contact dealer and the temp gauge was like it wasn't working....I pulled over to a parking lot to turn off the car and restart it and it wouldn't start up...so I popped the hood and felt the rad hoses upper was warm and lower was cold, so I felt in front of the thermostat was cold and behind was hot. would this be a bad thermostat?

This is my summer car but I had to take it out of storage last week as my winter beater died.
Did you use the block heater?

Try parking for at least 10 hours without using the block heater for a cold start drive cycle to see if the pending code resets.
__________________
'14 Crystal Red Tintcoat Camaro SS RS coupe

Former G8 owner

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
'09 PBM G8 GT with Premium Package & Sunroof
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #16
williamGT
Junior Member
 
williamGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yellowknife NT
Posts: 32
Default

thanks, I'll give it a shot, gonna unplug the car now.
williamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
williamGT
Junior Member
 
williamGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yellowknife NT
Posts: 32
Default

wow problem fixed, thats weird
williamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2007-2008, G8Board.com

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.