Yet another airbag fault light - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Tech Lounge

Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
MasterPat

Default Yet another airbag fault light

Over the summer I had my cam and lifters go. While at the dealer I had them do the airbag recall. Everything had been fine with the car since. I clicked 100k and car feels great. The I left for vacation for a week. Car was left at home in my driveway. Come back and BEEP BEEP BEEP Airbag Fault.

I'm sitting at the dealership now hoping it's something minor and easily repairable... Reading all these other posts about the sdm module going bad isn't exactly the kind of thing you wanna hear. 1k in repairs would suck right now...
White Hot 2009 Pontiac G8 GT | Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake | Kooks 1 7/8" Mids with HFC | Solo Mach Unbalanced Catback Exhaust | FE3 Struts| Livernois Motorsports Tune |DDM Tuning 35W 6000k HIDs | 15% Side and Rear Tint | Staggered Camaro SS Wheels with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 Tires
MasterPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
jackalope

UGH, that sucks man I'm sorry to hear it. Even tho you clicked over 100,000 miles wouldn't the recall for the airbag still come into play? It may not hurt to at least ask the worst they can do is say no.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
MasterPat

I'm hoping that's the case but we'll see. I know the recall just reprograms the module for deployment time so they'll probably say it's not related. I had a heck of a time even getting them to agree my rotofab and catback didn't cause lifter failure.

I'm definitely going to see if I can at least get the codes it pulled up. With any luck it'll hopefully be something stupid like low battery voltage caused the light to trip initially
White Hot 2009 Pontiac G8 GT | Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake | Kooks 1 7/8" Mids with HFC | Solo Mach Unbalanced Catback Exhaust | FE3 Struts| Livernois Motorsports Tune |DDM Tuning 35W 6000k HIDs | 15% Side and Rear Tint | Staggered Camaro SS Wheels with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 Tires
Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
jackalope

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Pat, good luck.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
MasterPat

Well turned out to be what I expected...Passenger Presence Module. Got quoted for around $900 from the dealer... $453.12 for just the part alone (Part 92225595), though looking online through various GM parts places it seems to be considerably less online (big surprise).

I ended up getting these codes back: B0170 B1001 B0081 Sym 71

The tech said they weren't getting any response from the module and it went bad. time to start researching if its something I want to tackle in my garage or not or should I pay them 3 hours in labor to do it...
Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
GOPHERIT

I know member "edfiero" attacked and removed his. You could PM him to see if *you* might want to take a crack at it. For that kind of money, I sure would.
GOPHERIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
swimman

I was diagnosed with the same thing today. Same module needed - 92225595. Dealer wants $840 for the repair (I think they quoted the module as $430). I found it on-line for $288 shipped and will probably proceed that way. With all of us having this airbag problem, maybe we should set up a weekend meet where we can all do the repair together while sipping some suds! GM really needs to provide a recall on this part.

Show No Go - Valentine One hardwired with remote display*Debadged*G2 red painted calipers*19" Drag DR53 Wheels*Polk DB651's in the doors*35w 5000k HIDS*GXP diffuser*3.5" tips*Oil Catch Can*Roto-Fab Radiator Cover

Go No Show - VMS ECM/TCM Tune*Solo Mach Catback*Roto-Fab Intake
swimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
MisterCGT

Well I guest I can be added to that Airbag list. My mom's told me that she took my car to the dealer and they quoted her 1k for parts and repair. It seems that both the sensor went. I have 51k and I just paid her off last month. Go figure. I should sold it when I paid it off.
Coming soon : DOD Delete Kit /Cam / Rick Crawford Head work / UDP.
New Dyno # Coming Soon
Old Dyno # 333 whp & 357 wtq
Other Big Boy Toy:
1991 3000 GT VR4 759 AWHP 730 AWTQ @ 28psi on E85.
MisterCGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
sharknice

You can me to the bad airbag list too. It just happened to me 2 days ago. I guess I'll have to take it in.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

I have a code too, gonna take it in pretty soon and see what my buddy at the dealer says. Anything over 500 bucks and its getting done at home. I'll get the steps to do it and will post them. I dont think its gonna be too tough if its only 3 hrs labor.

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

5litrarag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
0260N53

Airbag fault came on this morning for first time and reminds me every time I start the car. Is there a common specific component that seems to be the issue? It seems it could be anything from the airbag module to a bad connection. Mine previously had the passenger pressence sensor replaced (~2 years ago). Add this to the laundry list of stuff that's gone wrong with my G8, all of which was repaired under warranty until now. It upsets me that this would be happening with only 27,xxx on the clock. It seems that safety components should carry a longer warranty since they should be more robust to ensure the safety of the occupants.
0260N53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
GMCustomerService

@0260N53, please send me a private message with the VIN of your G8. I would like to research recall and/or special coverage information.

Michelle, GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
MasterPat

Finally got this fixed... Been busy with my friends supercharged C6 and haven't had much time with my car..

That said, this wasn't a hard repair. All in all, around 30 minutes. Maybe a little more. Though with my luck of course, I managed to break one of the plastic trim pieces that covers the seat rails. And thanks to a well placed, and forgotten about screwdriver in my back pocket, I now have a nice rip in my drivers side seat....

I got the module reprogrammed at a different dealer than the one I took it to initially. They were closing in a half hour but managed to get it in and reprogram it for $45. I think the biggest question in all of this is why are so many people having this problem and with it affecting the safety of the vehicle, why hasn't it been recalled?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPat View Post
Finally got this fixed... Been busy with my friends supercharged C6 and haven't had much time with my car..

That said, this wasn't a hard repair. All in all, around 30 minutes. Maybe a little more. Though with my luck of course, I managed to break one of the plastic trim pieces that covers the seat rails. And thanks to a well placed, and forgotten about screwdriver in my back pocket, I now have a nice rip in my drivers side seat....

I got the module reprogrammed at a different dealer than the one I took it to initially. They were closing in a half hour but managed to get it in and reprogram it for $45. I think the biggest question in all of this is why are so many people having this problem and with it affecting the safety of the vehicle, why hasn't it been recalled?

what did you have to do? did the seat have to be removed?

Tinted, badges deleted

Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
MasterPat

This was provided to me by user Swimman so all credit goes to him. I followed the instructions and it was pretty straight forward. To remove the headrests you need a small pin or eyeglasses screwdriver and insert it into the headrest post to remove them. That was the only thing I got held up on really.... Oh and don't rip your seat....

-Disconnect the negative battery terminal
-Remove passenger headrest
-Remove the four plastic covers on the seat sliders.
-Unplug the four wire connectors at the front of the seat.
-Remove the two bolts at the rear of the seat.
-Lift rear of seat toward front of car and this will allow you to release the front of the seat from the track
-Remove the fifth wire connector under the seat
-I then moved the seat on top of the rear seat (put some heavy cardboard or something else between the front seat and rear seat as the metal bases of the front seat can scratch the leather (don't ask how I know this!)
-Look under the front seat in the front and middle. The module is there in the center but you may have to cut away the white fabric to access it. I cut the fabric on the left and right side of the module.
-To remove the module from the module holder (module holder stays attached to the seat) I placed a flat head screw driver between the module holder clip and the actual module and gently pried up. This will allow you to slide the module toward the back of the seat. Once the module clears the module holder you now have access to the two module plugs. Place a flat head screw driver into the plug (I forget which side it goes into but you should be able to figure it out) and gently pry the clip away and then pull out the plug. Be gentle especially on the plug that has the ribbon cable.
-Reverse everything to reinstall and then bring to dealer to reprogram

Old 08-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPat View Post
This was provided to me by user Swimman so all credit goes to him. I followed the instructions and it was pretty straight forward. To remove the headrests you need a small pin or eyeglasses screwdriver and insert it into the headrest post to remove them. That was the only thing I got held up on really.... Oh and don't rip your seat....

-Disconnect the negative battery terminal
-Remove passenger headrest
-Remove the four plastic covers on the seat sliders.
-Unplug the four wire connectors at the front of the seat.
-Remove the two bolts at the rear of the seat.
-Lift rear of seat toward front of car and this will allow you to release the front of the seat from the track
-Remove the fifth wire connector under the seat
-I then moved the seat on top of the rear seat (put some heavy cardboard or something else between the front seat and rear seat as the metal bases of the front seat can scratch the leather (don't ask how I know this!)
-Look under the front seat in the front and middle. The module is there in the center but you may have to cut away the white fabric to access it. I cut the fabric on the left and right side of the module.
-To remove the module from the module holder (module holder stays attached to the seat) I placed a flat head screw driver between the module holder clip and the actual module and gently pried up. This will allow you to slide the module toward the back of the seat. Once the module clears the module holder you now have access to the two module plugs. Place a flat head screw driver into the plug (I forget which side it goes into but you should be able to figure it out) and gently pry the clip away and then pull out the plug. Be gentle especially on the plug that has the ribbon cable.
-Reverse everything to reinstall and then bring to dealer to reprogram

Nice... thanks. I dont think that is worth 500 bucks of my money for the dealer to do this. hahaha

Tinted, badges deleted

Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
geight

Thanks for the tutorial. Just ordered the module for myself.

Also, AND I WOULD RECOMMEND EVERYONE DO THIS...filed a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Security Administration (nhtsa.gov) at this address https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If you're looking for what to write you can always go and copy one of the complaints that have been submitted on this issue already:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action
geight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

Good luck with that.... this has probably been proposed tons of times over the years because several GM cars and trucks have this same problem and nothing has ever come of any of it.

Tinted, badges deleted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement