Solo hi flow cat issues - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Exhaust Tech

Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
wheelsnkeels

Default Solo hi flow cat issues

I was wondering if anyone knows if solo has worked out the problems with there hi flow cats. I was going to go that route last year but backed off after many failures and repeat failures were reported
wheelsnkeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
GT Drew

I had the first gen ones and they had some leaks at the outlet welds. They replaced them under warranty,on the spot, (I visited Zorro muffler) They have been perfect since May and no codes since. They redesigned the outlet.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
The Yeti
'Mod'erator

I was on of the first to get the solo cats with there group buy. I had one replaced with no out of pocket cost, and they have been fine.

Pat G Tune & DOD cam, Rick C Intake & TB, 4IN LS7 MAF, Ported stock Heads, Circle D 2600 Stall
VCM CAI, OBX Exhaust, SLP UDP,H&Rs, Koni Shocks
BP catch can, BMR Susp/bush/chasis, Brembo's, Slotted/Drilled Rotors, 3.27 Gears, Zex Wet Shot

Bolt ons Street tires
12.649@107.817 60ft 1.96 Da 700ft

Heads/Cam pre stall Street tires
12.16@114.2 60ft 1.75 Da -200

After Stall
11.82@115.9 60ft 1.66 DA 400ft

Zex 125shot
11.48@124 60ft 1.83 DA 2000ft
second gear pull
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
zepcom
Administrator

Occasionally there are problems, but one quick phone call to Steve at solo to explain your situation will most definately have it resolved for you. I was one of the beta testers of the HFC's and still have my pre-release HFC's, now with over 30k miles on them, nary a leak or any other problems to report.

Once in a while if road derbis comes in contact with the underside of the car, it can dent and therefore possibly damage the innards of the HFC, but that's not a manufacturer defect, that's just physical damage.

If you're just going on "reports" ... often people only complain when there's something to complain about. Not trying to sound rude, but there are many many many solo HFC customers who installed them and never looked back, never had problems, and are enjoying the additional power that upgrading to HFC's brings.

I'd say you should call Steve to sort this out for yourself. No need to be "scared".
--zepcom
zepcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
GOINGSOLO2
Site Sponsor

There are no issues with our converters. We are only human and any time there has been an issue in the past, which has been very rare, we have remedied the situation with professionalism. We take care of our customers like they are family, because they are. I can assure you we have no issues with our converters if installed correctly. Thanks so much and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Steve
516-655-9002
GOINGSOLO2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
rmcdonell318
09 SBM G8 GT

They are very high quality, high flo cats, i have no complaints, i bought the car with mine on them, and love the power gains, sounds, and quality of product. Had what sounded like a leaking cat, took it to mufflerman/solo head quarters in Buffalo, and they threw it right up on the lift, looked at it, were not able to completely identify the problem(it didnt do it all the time) they said bring it back if the problem occurs, well since then it has gotten worse...moral of the story, its not the cats you have to worry about or the exhaust system it self, its the factory flex pipe....thts what the noise turned out to be. But since im throwing headers on there, i could care less,its in the garage covered for the witner, and they're comig off in less than 2 months and im going catless with kooks mids and the solo axel backs... "off road car only" all in all though, i dont have one bad word about any solo product that i've owned.
rmcdonell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
The Yeti
'Mod'erator

I will say that hands down Solo has had the best customer service of any car parts supplier I have ever dealt with. May be the best ongoing customer service experience I have had with ANY company. I would bring them my business again and again if they had anything that I need.

Pat G Tune & DOD cam, Rick C Intake & TB, 4IN LS7 MAF, Ported stock Heads, Circle D 2600 Stall
VCM CAI, OBX Exhaust, SLP UDP,H&Rs, Koni Shocks
BP catch can, BMR Susp/bush/chasis, Brembo's, Slotted/Drilled Rotors, 3.27 Gears, Zex Wet Shot

Bolt ons Street tires
12.649@107.817 60ft 1.96 Da 700ft

Heads/Cam pre stall Street tires
12.16@114.2 60ft 1.75 Da -200

After Stall
11.82@115.9 60ft 1.66 DA 400ft

Zex 125shot
11.48@124 60ft 1.83 DA 2000ft
second gear pull
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
wheelsnkeels

Thanks all for your replies . Steve, I will be in touch with you when the weather breaks
wheelsnkeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
GOINGSOLO2
Site Sponsor

Not a problem at all...snowing here now...when you're ready, give me a call
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
TexasXD1

Just put on a set last weekend. Had one quick question about fitment but Steve got back to me quickly and set me straight. The only problem I had was a bank 2 lean code on the downstream O2 yesterday but have since learned that was a cortex tune issue. The tune has been removed and to quote Zep a "big boy" tune is in the works.
TexasXD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Ang

Just wondering if these cats will hold up with my supercharged application. I've already cooked a set of Kooks (no pun intended ) and need reassurance I will not do the same with these.
Sno Performance Water-Meth Kit
Solo Performance Mach Shorty Balanced Cat-Back Exhaust w/ Kooks Shorty Headers
Pedders Supercar Coilovers
Dyno Pull - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGQXgNlOzxo
Track Pass Vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvWz_JLtlEk
Tunnel Run [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5po...are_video_user[/YOUTUBE]
Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
WiscoG8

Default Re: Solo hi flow cat issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang View Post
Just wondering if these cats will hold up with my supercharged application. I've already cooked a set of Kooks (no pun intended ) and need reassurance I will not do the same with these.
There was a thread about boosted applications melting HFC from Camaros. And everyone was curious about it for a long time and there was a massive thread on camaro5 about it.

Zep can chime in on this but the solo HFCS are good for a 6 liter motor just for one cat. So that comes on to 12liters total. You'll have zero issues with boost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Solo Mach
Pedders Street II GSR kit
Livernois 1C Cam DOD Delete
Milled Heads
Ported Intake
Ported Throttle Body

Bolt ons dyno W/Pat G tune: 364/373
After:430/404
WiscoG8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
zepcom
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoG8 View Post
Zep can chime in on this but the solo HFCS are good for a 6 liter motor just for one cat. So that comes on to 12liters total. You'll have zero issues with boost.
I have no direct experience with this as I'm still N/A on my car, for what it's worth.

I have heard solo say many times that each cat is (over)rated for 6.0L, so yes, WiscoG8, you are correct.

I have not heard of any failures of SOLO HFC's in a supercharged G8 setup.
zepcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the yeti View Post
i will say that hands down solo has had the best customer service of any car parts supplier i have ever dealt with. May be the best ongoing customer service experience i have had with any company.
agreed!!!!!!!!
Volant intake, Solo Performance HFCs & exhaust, StopTech rotors, Hawk brake pads, Enkei Kojin w/ Michelin Super Sports, EFI Live custom tune, ATI harmonic balancer, functional hood vents, iPod and Bluetooth integrated.
EMS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
GOINGSOLO2
Site Sponsor

Our cats have held up on any supercharged application that have been used with. The only issue has been when the tuning was really bad, and it ran way too rich for anyone's liking. Other than that, they are awesome. They are specially wound inside to make them stronger and hold up to higher temperatures, not like other converters. Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #16
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO2 View Post
Our cats have held up on any supercharged application that have been used with. The only issue has been when the tuning was really bad, and it ran way too rich for anyone's liking. Other than that, they are awesome. They are specially wound inside to make them stronger and hold up to higher temperatures, not like other converters. Thanks
Spun brick or honey comb?
Volant intake, Solo Performance HFCs & exhaust, StopTech rotors, Hawk brake pads, Enkei Kojin w/ Michelin Super Sports, EFI Live custom tune, ATI harmonic balancer, functional hood vents, iPod and Bluetooth integrated.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
GT Drew

Metal cores are spun, like Solos. Ceramic are honeycomb.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Drew View Post
Metal cores are spun, like Solos. Ceramic are honeycomb.
Didn't know they used a metal substrate.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
GOINGSOLO2
Site Sponsor

The internals of our cats are specially wound stainless steel substrate, the highest quality you can get. Ceramics will melt at high temperatures, which is why we don't use that.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
Camss57

So Solo cats and a Cortex tune are a no no correct?
Camss57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement