Worst Christmas EVER! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > Lounge

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
AliG8tr
No Member

Default Worst Christmas EVER!

So... after a month of not being able to talk about it, I'm going to try some forum therapy. I no longer have my beautiful car. I drove by it the other day on the lot at Seaview in Lynnwood and started crying like a baby.

My husband came home mid December from working in Alaska and was not himself at all. He was completely agitated and acting really weird. He continued to get worse and worse until I convinced him to go to the hospital. He was admitted to the mental ward and diagnosed with PTSD. He was unable to sleep more than two hours a night and both of those hours he spent raging and yelling in his sleep. To make a long story shorter, he was hospitalized twice, arrested twice and saw three different doctors before he was able to get the medication and help he needs. The holiday season made it really difficult to find professional help.

The weekend before Christmas we were right behind a fatal accident on the hwy and the next morning he found out a friend of his had died of a massive heart attack at age 40. Those two things seemed to set him off on a nasty downward spiral and I won't go into too much detail, but I had to pull over when we were in the car, about 40 miles from home and call the police. He took off and I drove home. After making sure our kids were safe, I called him and tried to go pick him up but he wasn't thinking rationally at all and told me I had "left him on the side of the road to die." He finally made his way home in the middle of the night and kicked in the front door. He destroyed part of the house and then my car. He kicked in the front passenger window and door and broke off the mirror. This is the same husband who bought me the G8 for my 30th birthday three years ago.

After he got out of jail and on the right medication he was horrified at the damage he caused, both emotionally and physically and he repaired the house and tried to get my car fixed but at that point we had racked up over $20,000 in medical bills in a two week period and it was going to take $2500 to make the G8 driveable. Plus we knew he wouldn't be able to work for awhile in the state he was in. So... we traded it in. I thought I was ok with everything until I drove by and saw it all fixed up and sitting there on the lot. *sigh* Now that the world isn't falling apart, I am realizing how devastated it makes me. I really loved that car.
20" Lorenzo WL021s
Partial Debadge
Clock Set
Stereo Programmed
Gas Added Frequently
AliG8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Zodiac
In the slow lane

I'm sorry for all the troubles you've been through. Family is more important than a car, and hope you can overcome this and get everything back on the right track.

It's not easy typing your feelings to strangers and their are many members here who can and will help. Best of luck.

2014 Ram 1500 QC Express
2014 Mazda6 Touring
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
AliG8tr
No Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I'm sorry for all the troubles you've been through. Family is more important than a car, and hope you can overcome this and get everything back on the right track.

It's not easy typing your feelings to strangers and their are many members here who can and will help. Best of luck.
Thanks. I figured since nobody here knows my family personally and you all love G8's, it would be a good place to vent. I can't really talk about it to family/friends without feeling like a selfish spoiled brat, considering I have a brand new vehicle and my poor husband is doing everything he can to make life whole again.
20" Lorenzo WL021s
Partial Debadge
Clock Set
Stereo Programmed
Gas Added Frequently
Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
richm52

Cars can be replaced. Families not so easily. Glad to hear that your husband seems to be headed to a good place. The loss of your car will soon fade.
GXP Front Fascia and Rear Diffuser
GXP Rear Sway Bar and Mufflers
V6 Tail Lights
Pedders XA Coilovers, Sub Frame Connectors and Radius Rod Bushings
DBA T-3 Slotted Rotors and Hawk Ceramic Pads
richm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Scholl26

I am sorry for everything you and your husband have gone through. As mentioned previously, a car is just that, a car. Family is and always will be more important. Believe things will get better, and eventually they will.
30% tint, VG Sharkfin, Interior LED swap out, (Concept dart swap out pending)
Plastidip'd all chrome
Cat Back MagnaFlow Exhaust
VMR v710 Matte Black 19" (F8.5"/B9.5")
317 RHP and 316 Rftlb on Mustang Dyno
Scholl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
showstopper9ren

Default Wow

wow that is a wild story. i think you guys should try to get everything turned around and lookin good, start savin up some money, and eventually i think u should try to save up money for another g8 used.
showstopper9ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
jackalope

Holy crap thats horrible! Hopefully it all works out.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
orangeg8
Offshore Prositute

what was your husband doing in Alaska if you don't mind? I work and live up here, and most people go crazy due to lake of sunlight which means a lack of vitamin D. Unless he saw some kind of crazy stuff I doubt it will be PTSD. Go get some vit D pills (2000 units or so) and give him twice a day (morning and night) for a few weeks and see if he gets better.

My wife was very moody when winter hit, and would constantly bitch and fight each other. I thought it was weird and we are newly weds and figured bitching and fighting would wait until 3 years from now LOL. I forced her to take vit D and she got better, and then worse cause she stopped. But as long as she is taking it, she is good.

Something to try out.

I am no Challenger to this game, I don't go Chargering away, and it is more than just ponies in this beast.
orangeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
lonewolfz28
Master Sheep Hurdler

Sorry to hear your family is going through all of that. Hopefully the medication continues to work as you folks work through this. And yes, it's an object. It's not nearly as important as family. Sad to hear, but it could have been far worse from the sounds of it.

Besides, if everything works out, who's to say maybe you can't buy a different one down the road and start with a clean slate?
Mods: Superchips Cortex tune; Modded New Era OTR CAI; HSRK; Custom intake heat shield; Baer Front BBK; BMR Adjustable Rear LCA's, Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Sway Bars/Sway Bar Links & Poly Strut Mounts; Pedders Front LCA's, Shocks and Poly Rear Sub-frame, Rear Upper Arm & Differential Bushings; Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 265/40-18 tires.
lonewolfz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
couldofhadag8

What sort of work was he doing in Alaska ? Just curious. I went through a battle with some mental health issues....its really hard to explain whats wrong with you when you really don't know yourself. All I can say is thank God for family and friends. Without them I would have really suffered. Medication does help.....but talking about things seems to work better. Just so you know, that seems to be the age that things start to go wacky. 40 was the age for me also....not sure if its a mid-life crisis thing or chemical imbalance.....but it sucks. Things will get better and worse and better and worse. It's not his fault he's like that. It's almost like you lose control of youself and can't focus or process things properly. It's very frustrating to go through and would never wish it upon anyone. Some days are tougher than others but just being there for him will help. I hope everything works out for the long haul and no more set backs. The G8 is a great car but family is more important.
couldofhadag8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
TheGreatLouisianaRoadkill

Sorry to hear about this. My mother has battled with mental illnesses since she was kid. It was hard growing up around her, but through lots of therapy and medication she has improved greatly. There are still moments where it's hard for her to cope with situations.

I hope things with you, your husband, and your family, will improve, and even though the G8 was a great car, you can always get another when life settles down.
08 Pontiac G8 GT - Vararam intake, Diablo 91 octane tune, Solo axle back exhaust 3.5 inch tips, electronic exhaust cut outs, VG shark fin, roof spoiler, swapped cloth interior for black/red leather, GXP steering wheel.
TheGreatLouisianaRoadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
pony killer

Like the others have stated, wow sorry to hear. I hope the therapy and meds help and soon.twenty grand in damages,that's a lot of dough,was that through any insurance? .if he starts harming you and the kids ,I'd say separate for a while ,til he gets himself on track .not a divorce but time to straighten things out and are better. It's hard to see a person who you've known to be one way all of a sudden change .Kinda wonder what had started the PTSD to come on ? As for the car ,there will be another one for sale when your ready. Good luck ,hope he gets better .
pony killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
BigZub

Very sorry to hear, and glad to hear he is feeling better. Just realize that hardware is hardware, and it comes and goes. There are times when I regret selling a particular car, but it seems like after a little while, I get something that is way better. Just think, you may be able to get a new Chevy SS soon!
'09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
GMM RAMJET OTR CAI, Livernois E/TCM Tune, Kooks 1-7/8" LTs, catted mid-pipe, Hooker Polished SS MaxFlow mufflers - 394RWHP/386RWT
BMR Rear LCA's, stabilizer bars, end links, front LCA bushings, rear toe links and trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit, including subframe and diff bushings.
Hawk Ceramic pads, Brake Performance slotted and dimpled rotors, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid.
Best 1/4 time - 12.52 @ 114.47, 1.94 60ft.
BigZub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
r1owner
That's ME!

Wow... that is a tough thing to go through for sure. I hope it all works out for you guys.
2009 PSM GXP A6 #1803/1829 sold
r1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
AliG8tr
No Member

Thanks guys. He works in Alaska on a piledriving crew. They build/repair the docks for the cannerys all over the south coast and the islands. They work between 80-90 hours a week for a couple months straight and then take a month or two off.

They are usually pretty screwed up by the time they come home anyway, from the mental and physical exhaustion and it's always extremely dangerous work (and play, considering they work in secluded places where the only extracurricular activity is getting drunk with a bunch of anti-social locals who love to brawl), but this last trip up was definitely over the top. I'm not comfortable saying exactly what happened, but it definitly screwed him up.

He's doing so much better now, it's a huge relief. I know PTSD is awful in and of itself but I think the reason he was SO messed up was the lack of sleep from the nightmares. I suspected PTSD before I even took him to the hospital because of what he had told me and what he was screaming in his sleep. And the fact that the only time I've ever seen a sober human being act the way he did was in the movie "Brothers" when Sam flipped out in the kitchen. Scary ****. I could tell that he was losing it completely and I wanted to help but it was like he was looking right through me. :/

So... my plates arrived at the dealer but I haven't gone in to pick them up because I really don't want to see my car. I'm being a big whiner about it but I think it just brings back flashes of things I try not to remember and it represents a bunch of... pain. Once we get out from all the hospital bill and court fines/dates, I'm going to try to un-"soccer mom" the new vehicle and maybe I'll be more excited about it.

If anybody on this forum ends up with my baby, take good care of it! They gave me $24,000 for it on a trade in, which I thought was great considering the damages. It's only got 21,000 miles on it and unless they change something it still has the Lorenzo's and Flowmasters on it, although I did take the sub and amp.

My husband promised he would buy me a '70 Chevelle SS with a 454 to play in when life is more normal and I know he would get me anything I wanted as soon as we can afford it. He's a good guy.
20" Lorenzo WL021s
Partial Debadge
Clock Set
Stereo Programmed
Gas Added Frequently
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
deezomaxima
MUSCLE Biotch!

Storms don't last forever. Hang in there. :-)

Morimoto - Mobile 1 - Harbor Freight - 3M - Spectre - Superchips Flashpaq - Elemental LED - SuperBrightLED - TCW3 Fuel Additive
deezomaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
pony killer

Glad to hear he's a little better and getting help. Man ,sounds like its time for a career change. If its my life and family being affected that bad ,then I'm looking for a new job. It's not worth it . Well good luck with everything. Too bad he won't promise you another g8 down the road but that car would be cool too . Don't be a complete stranger.
pony killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #18
camopaint0707

As much I love my cars at the end of the day it is just a car. I love my cats and fiance more than the car.
camopaint0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
Beelzebubba

O. M. G. That is very horrible to have to go through. When I was facing stress in my job (much less and different kinds, but the stress all adds up), I was lucky enough to be able to find new work pretty quickly. I hope he's able to do that. Hope your road continues to get smoothed out from here on in. Best of luck!

Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
AliG8tr
No Member

Yeah, it's time for a new job!!! And as for being a stranger, I just went to register on the Terrain forum so I could see if anyone figured out a way to make one look better, and seeing people calling their "ride" a 'Nox made me wanna barf. "Dude, that's a totally rad 'nox ya got there!" HAHAHAHAHA... Wtf?? I'll probably just ask people who drive respectable vehicles like G8s what they would do to one. Maybe I'll start a new thread. ;D
20" Lorenzo WL021s
Partial Debadge
Clock Set
Stereo Programmed
Gas Added Frequently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement