Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Pros and Cons Camaro Rims

16K views 159 replies 37 participants last post by  phoenixZRO 
#1 · (Edited)
Good day!

My recent plan was to get all seasons on my stock 19" wheels and then go with TSW Nurburgrings with 275s all around sometime this spring/summer. Now I have the opportunity to purchase some 20" Camaro midnight silver rims which just became available from a coworker at a nice price. These would become my summer wheels. I really had not considered a staggard set-up for quite sometime and really wanted 275s all around.

So can you all give me some pros and cons on each?

18" TSW Nurburgrings and summer tires

versus

20" Camaro Midnight Silver rims with summer tires (not sure I will like having 275/30's on the back since it is my DD)

Thanks!

#7 ·
Don't think you would be pleased with 18" summer wheels. I would not go any smaller than 19". It just doesn't look right on such a big car. Too little wheel.
Also why the 275mm the whole way around, if I may ask? It's not a truck. :p

Ahh but I believe that I would be pleased. I saw Matthewo's vehicle (many pics on this forum) with the TSWs and it looked very nice, plus they are quite a bit lighter compared to the Camaro rims. The 275s would offer a nice aggressive look, help handling, plus 18" tires are quite a bit cheaper than 19" tires....and I could rotate them.

The Camaro MS rims look very nice and I do not mind a staggerd look too much, but I will need to put 275/30s on the rear, which will degrade the ride a bit and will be more sensitive to vibrations. Could I put on 275/35s on the rear or will that just jack up my speedo/odo readings?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Camaro wheels way too damn heavy. Get the tsw nurburgrings in19s better look and still get enough sidewall for safety. 10 lbs less per corner than camaro wheels

#8 ·
The largest pro to the Camaro 20s is the price. I love mine especially for the price. I have 245/275 and didn't notice a difference performance wise from the factory 19s, but did gain some grip but that was mostly the summer only tire.

Also the proper size is 275/30 for the rear or really 285/30.

#9 ·
275/40/19 should work no problem with proper offset. My dads g8 has that on his no rubbing anywhere. That being said 275/35/20 should work as well.. will throw speedo off a lil if that bothers you

#10 ·
Camaro wheels are heavy man! Also, IMO, too overplayed on the G8's.

I'm sure you'll find something you like, Mike

#13 ·
I'm on the same page on this.

I wanted them for awhile, however now that I'm a little more seasoned on wheels for the G8 I feel like they are the equivalent to the mustang bullits

#11 ·
go 18" TSW Nurburgrings, lighter weight and more available tires at a better price, plus the 275 are a more appropriate size tire for the car. I saved 6 lbs per corner over the stock 19s with tires.

#12 ·
The Camaro wheels being machined from solid chucks of lead* stopped me from buying them. They look great but could be used as anchors for cruise ships!

*DISCLAIMER* Please note the "machined from solid chunks of lead" was a joke they are not actually made of lead but they are way too damn heavy.

#14 ·
*DISCLAIMER* Please note the "machined from solid chunks of lead" was a joke they are not actually made of lead but they are way too damn heavy.
Thanks for the disclaimer! :) LOL

The price of the Camaro rims is fairly nice, which seduces the monetary/logical side of me, but the reality is that they add no performance value, just looks. The TSWs seduce my more carefree fun side cause they would add something performancewise and looks! Just more expensive!

#15 ·
If it means anything, I could not tell any difference in performance/handling based on the wheel/tire weight savings.

Go with what you will like to look at everyday!

#16 ·
I agree with romneyjdog's first post about the Camaro wheels being overplayed. Think about how many Camaros you see on a daily basis, all with the same wheels, now it's bleeding over to other cars! They do look good though, there's no denying that. But their weight is lofty.

I might be a little biased with my 18" Nurburgrings :) Their design makes the 18's look like 19's and the 19's those look like 20's, plus the rim is forged. Also, I had no issues running a 285 on the rear of my car with the fenders rolled.

I love my 18's, but if you were to go the TSW route you might be happier with 19's since you like the Camaro wheels.

#17 ·
If you are on a budget go for the Camaro wheels. Tires are cheaper than 19's and the rums can be picked up any a discount. I have chrome aftermarket from Tire Rack and really like them on the PSM blue. Again its your car choose what you like and what makes sense for your budget.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#18 ·
The cons of the camaro wheels is weight and they are played out on these boards. However, I am the only person around with camaro wheels in my area, so they aren't played out to me.

The pros are great looks, wider rear, and i personally like how the low offset makes the wheels fill the rear fenders.

Its up to you really. Before going camaro 20's or nurburgrings i would look at vmr's.

#19 ·
I agree. Although the camaro wheels are played out on the boards its not the same out in the real world. I just saw my first g8 with camaro wheels this week (other than mine of course). They look good and are super cheap in most cases. Yes they are a lil heavy but I plan on getting a set of gto 17s and spares for the track.

#23 ·
cheap, cheap and cheaper

BTW. The camaro 20s + the General AS03 tires = not that bad as compared to OEM 19s with the heavy OEM RE050s.

When considering weight, wheels is just one part of the equation. Tire weight is just as or more important as that weight is hung off the end of the diameter of the spinning package.

#24 ·
Camaro's if price and look are most important.
TSW's if performance,braking and handling are most important.

#25 ·
Con, having to buy all new 20" tires to replace my still fresh factory 19" tires. Rim Cost+Plus tires puts this mod in the way future for me.

What do 4 fresh tires for a Camaro run?

#26 ·
To me if you're doing something with price as the main motivation, you'll end up wishing you got what was a better all around purchase instead of saving a few bucks. JMO, to me Nurburgrings look way better and are something you'll never see. Whether you see them on g8s or not, you'll definitely see Camaro rims everyday. I've never seen anybody with TSW Nurburgrings on any car in person period. Originality is key, and TSW Nurburgings on a G8 is a WIN for me in that aspect. You can get TSW wheels in wider than 9", so that's an invalid argument as well.

#28 ·
I dont, but I'm sure you see a 5 spoke style wheel 10x as much no matter who you are or what side of this argument you're on.

#29 ·
Personally, I think the TSW's or CSL's or anything that style looks to busy. I like a simpler look, and the Camaro wheels do it for me for now. I have't seen another G8 around here with them, and they compliment the car nicely. Plus, if you ever had to replace one, they are easy to get ahold of. I do wish they were lighter though.

#30 ·
You bring up a good point about replacing the wheels. Camaro wheels would be easier to replace. That is definitely a Pro.

Another Con is the fact that I will be using my stock 19"rs for my winter set-up, and going with the TSWs would really be a different beast in aesthetics and weight. I really think the design of the Nurburgrings and other similar wheels add a sense of style and class to the G8. I am definitely leaning towards the TSWs.

#31 ·
No offense but the Nurburgrings look to me to be the latest fad as Breyton's were when I first started looking for wheels in '09. EVERYONE was buying Breyton's.
Note, the Camaro wheels are also a huge fad. Once again, I don't mean fad as a bad thing because I feel the G8 looks good and so different with different wheels. Well, except for huge bling 22" chromed wheels. :(
I feel the 5 spokes offer more of a muscle look to the G8, while the multi-spoke look more European. JMO

#40 ·
I feel the 5 spokes offer more of a muscle look to the G8, while the multi-spoke look more European. JMO
I totally agree! ...and no offense taken! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.