Pontiac G8 Forum banner

TPMS matching process outlined

45K views 82 replies 36 participants last post by  PONY MAN 
#1 · (Edited)
The TPMS matching process is outlined below:

1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.

3. Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter’s lock and unlock buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn chirps two times indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.

4. Start with the driver side front tire.

5. Remove the valve cap from the tire’s valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirps one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.

6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

9. After the driver side rear TPMS sensor has been learned the horn chirps two times. The TPMS sensor matching process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.

If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.

11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

See less See more
#39 ·
You must have worked at an honest dealership. The first time I changed to my winter wheels, I had trouble with the TPMS. Took it to the dealer, and they charged me $28.95 to do the relearn, and told me I would have to bring it in every time I changed the wheels.
When it came time to put the summer wheels back on, I took the time to study the procedure a little better, and VIOLA, no problem !

#40 ·
That's not cool Bob. Literally takes 10seconds or so. Easy way to gain a Loyal customer by doing this as a courtesy.

#41 · (Edited)
So ive done this everytime ive swapped wheels. Today i put my winter wheels on and forgot to do the TPMS relearn cuz i was in a hurry. Well out driving i got the service msg so when i got to where i was going. I tried to get into the TPMS setup mode but it wouldnt let me. Can i get around this? or have to go to the dealership? Ive never had this problem before cuz ive always did the TMPS learns soon as i was done swapping wheels. But now that the msg is set, I cant get into the TPMS start mode.

EDIT:
I went back out to the car to try again with no luck getting it into TPMS learn mode. Was just getting the service msg. So i unhooked the battery for 5minutes, Then tried it again and the msg was cleared and i was able to get into the TPMS learn mode and do it..

#42 ·
no need to increase or decrease the pressure to reset the TPMS. i work in a tire center. all you have to do is the turn key on (engine not running) hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob till the horn chirps, then go around with a magnet starting with the drivers front. once you end on the drivers rear the horn should chirp a couple of times. turn the key off and your done!

#56 ·
Thought I would post again here, just to summarize my recent experience with the G8 TPMS. Maybe it will help someone later that is doing a search.

1)GOPHERIT was right on my TPMS resetting itself from the "--" reading after a battery change. They came right back on after about 500 feet down the road.

2)Everyone knows that its easy to reset all TPMS by doing the inflate/deflate routine and walking around the car. This information and process is useless if you have a nitrogen fill. You'd end up just going somewhere to get reinflated, so you might as well just go to a shop to have the TPMS reset. The above method given by RJKMotion only works if your type of TPMS is magnetically activated. I actually purchased a magnet for this, and even tried more powerful speaker magnets, and neither worked. This is because the G8 sensors are frequency activated. Thus - if you have a nitrogen fill and don't want to do the inflate/deflate routine, then you have to use a tool like what Zepcom posted. I bought the exact same model (got lucky and found an open box deal for $125 shipped), and it worked like a champ right out of the box. There are cheaper models, but this one can be updated and can be used on many different models. A lot of the cheaper ones are only for specific makes, so read carefully. Thanks for the info Zepcom.

Hope this helps.

#43 ·
Now that is handy! How big of a magnet? And how close do you have to pass it near the TPMS sensor?

#44 ·
I just bought new wheels and tires and of course my fault light is on, thanks for the info I am going out to try it now. Keep your fingers crossed :)

#45 ·
I tried 4 times to pair my TPMS and my computer and no luck. So I took it to the dealer to have to done just to find out the goof balls at the tire store never put the new sensors in. Now I have to take the car and waist another hour waiting for them to install them. Thanks Hot Wheel City!!

#47 ·
Just to help others out... today on my lunch break I took a youtube video of my newest toy for the G8. I bought a KTI p.s.t. model 71990 TPMS sensor programmer tool from amazon.com for around $150 shipped. To say it simplifies the TPMS learning process as described in the users manual (and post 1 in this thread) is an understatement.

Don't even need to pull off valvestem covers or let any air out. Quick and painless. Sorry for my "off the cuff" narration, figure most with a G8 know what I'm trying to do anyways. lol

Enjoy!

#50 ·
Just to help others out... today on my lunch break I took a youtube video of my newest toy for the G8. I bought a KTI p.s.t. model 71990 TPMS sensor programmer tool from amazon.com for around $150 shipped. To say it simplifies the TPMS learning process as described in the users manual (and post 1 in this thread) is an understatement.

Don't even need to pull off valvestem covers or let any air out. Quick and painless. Sorry for my "off the cuff" narration, figure most with a G8 know what I'm trying to do anyways. lol

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4al7ryQh4

OK, this tool is awesome and I may need to buy one (now $167). Normally using the pressure to reset all the sensors isn't too bad, but what do you do if you have a nitrogen fill? I don't have a nitrogen tank and don't want to screw around with going to the dealer. I changed out the car's battery yesterday, and now all I get is "--" for the tire pressures. I haven't tried driving it yet to see if they'll come back on by themselves, but am assuming they won't. Any other way to reset the TPMS besides Zepcom's tool or inflating/deflating pressure?

#48 ·
I just got back from the tire store, I had my sensors installed in the new wheels. I stopped at the dealer to have the sensors matched to the car. He couldn't get the sensors to link to the car and I still have that pesky light on.
HELP PLEASE

Thank you

#49 ·
For anybody having a little or maybe big problem, trying to complete a successful TPMS relearn, I just read this in my 09 GMC truck service manual. The procedure is exactly the same as the G8. A statement in the manual says, that once the procedure is underway, to let air out for 6 to 8 sec. then release. During that time frame, the horn may sound off (most of the time it does), indicating that *that* tire has been learned. But if it has not, to allow as much as 30 sec. to elapse before giving up, to see if it will sound off (like its a slow learner). Then move on to the next wheel in the sequence *only* if it finally does sound off.
Don't know if it will work as stated. On the bad side, if all 4 tires *are* slow learners, it might exceed the allowable maximum time limit allowed for the complete relearn procedure prior to getting the double horn (finished) on that last wheel. If anybody is having problems right now, you could try again allowing for this possible delay length, to see if it might work.
This of course is for those who as of yet, do not own one of those neat learning tools talked about (which includes me).

#51 ·
You should be OK. It says that if the battery is disconnected, you will get the display you have. The sensors IDs are still remembered, but have become untrustworthy for now. All you have to do is drive the car for at least 2 min above 25 mph, and all 4 transponders will start reporting in their rolling mode of operation and the readout of all 4 positions will return to the DIC.

#52 ·
I have just purchased some new tires and GT 19 rims. I wanted to purchase nice New TPMS but with the metal aluminum housing...NOT the black rubber ones.
I was looking into ORO-TEK, DORMAN, and ORANGE. Is there anyone of these that are better than the other and will this work with our G8s?
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

#57 ·
I picked up one too. Figured why not Amazon prime price was good and still no tax, free shipping, and I've got 4 vehicles with TPMS so it should come in handy. Just got delivered this afternoon haven't had a chance to use it yet though.

#61 ·
I picked up my first G8 a few weeks ago after (lusting after one for 4 years) The owner told me after replacing the tires that after driving 30 min or so the TPMS error would come up which it did.

I did my research and performed the reset procedure which worked flawlessly. I even managed to get all 4 tires at the same psi! I was surprised however that on my drive home, sure enough the error came up again after 20 or 30 min of driving.

More research on this board taught me how to view engineering mode which showed all TPMS sensors reading around the 42-40PSI.

What gives? Did the car forget the learn procedure? Battery going dead? The car only has 63k on it so I wouldn't think the batteries would be dead. Could the tire shop have damaged the sensors somehow? I would think that if this was the case a damaged sensor would not provide a reading.

Assistance needed and appreciated. I do not take my car to the dealer btw.

#62 ·
The batteries in the sensors are what, 7 yrs old? I already had to replace sensors in 2008 truck last year. The sensors would check out ok at the shop and they would reset the system but a day later would throw a fault. So I would say it's the sensor batteries and since they are not replaceable, you have to get new sensors.

#63 ·
Thanks, guess I will order some off Amazon and take the car back to my fathers shop to break tires down and replace. Oh well, gives me a chance to inspect the brakes and maybe put some more wax on it without breaking my back :laugh2:

#64 ·
My son re-programed mine when I changed over from my snows 2 weeks ago. He used the bleed and honk metheod with no problems at all but he's a GM mechanic, if I tried to do this my G8 would still be a smouldering carcass in the driveway....some people just get this stuff, I'm still rageing against technology.

#65 ·
The re-learn process worked fine, horn honked, drivers park light came on, I let some air out until the horn honked and then proceeded clockwise from there to the remaining 3 tires. The car double honked after the last tire and then I aired them all 4 up to 44PSI.

I read on here that if one of your batteries is going dead the sensor will read (in engineering mode) some wild PSI like 148psi on whichever one is going bad. All of mine seem to read and function fine until I get the error msg after 20 minutes of continuous driving.

Maybe I will try the reset procedure again and see what happens.

#66 ·
The only thing I see that could be different is I'm running my tires at 36 to 38 psi while your up at 44. Believe me I'm no expert at this but wondering out loud if you lowered your psi it may solve your problem. Guess it also depends on what the tire sidewall psi calls for....this stuff make my head hurt....

#67 ·
I have 76,500 on my '09 GT, and perform the reset procedure twice every year due to putting on and off winter tires. Have had no problems until 2 days ago when the bells started going off and a FAULT flashes on the dash. None of the tires show any pressure readings. My first thought was to reset all the sensors, but the right side front would not honk, and the problem still exists. After some research, I read the sensors are only good for 5 years or so, and likely need to be replaced. Since only one seems to be the problem, I'm thinking I might as well replace them all. I read Amazon sold them in GM factory packages for about $17.00 apiece. I think I'm going to check out Amazon and Ebay for lower prices than the dealer or other retailers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.