Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Plastidip experts.... how to get clean edges??

41K views 70 replies 17 participants last post by  JESUSFREAK702 
#1 ·
Every time i try to remove my tape from a large surface, it peels the pd with it. I've tried several methods, what am I missing?

Shaun

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

#2 ·
Razor blade at the tape line as you are pulling the tape up. ;)

#3 ·
Hmm, ok. I was worried about scoring my paint.

#5 ·
My hood. Kinda like a reverse firehawk, matte on sides, shiny center. I'm covering up some bad paint untill spring when i can get a new hood.

#7 ·
I pull the tape up while it's wet.

#10 ·
I don't think wax is an issue but there can't be any type of grease on the paint. It won't adhere properly.

#9 ·
The only best and neat way to have a perfect line it to pull tape as soon as u spray it. As soon as it dries it forms the seal to the tape and cutting is not best way.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
I agree if you can take the tape off while the Plasti-dip is wet, that's the best way to do it. But......I typically do 3-4 coats of the stuff and let it dry 20-30 min between coats. So I normally just use the razor blade. But it's true, you have to be very careful as to not scar the paint in the process.

I guess if you just did one initial really heavy coat and then immediately took the tape off that would work, as long as you didn't miss any spots.

#19 ·
This thing is the shiat :) I'm doing my front grills, right as type this, just finished the 3rd coat. Do i have to wait 4 hours before putting them back ? (the can says to wait 4 hours dry time before use ?

#22 ·
It's fairly easy, the day has to be around 70F or hotter though, i did mine today at around 58F, and had to drive the car around for things to get hot inside the engine bay, plus parked the car so the sun was facing the front grilles for about 30 min, after that i pulled the fackers out, it took a bit of force compared to the video, but finally took them out. they wouldn't come out in the morning when i tried initially, then i found out about the temperature when i was looking in the forum how to pop them loose :)

#23 ·
You won't need to wait the full 4 hours to pop them back. Give it an hour, then pop them back in.

#24 ·
Thanks a lot Deezo.

#26 ·
NP. I'm even plastidipping rust spots on my other car. Way better and lasts longer than rustoleum.

#28 ·
Tell me about it, this stuff is amazing, i painted my stock 18's wheels 3 weeks ago with primer and black paint, because i didn't know about plastidip back then :) had i know before and i'd used it in a heartbit.

#27 ·
Thanks a lot for the video Smokey, that was awesome :)

#30 ·
+1

Saw yours at the last C&C and it looks badass.

#33 ·
Just to show newbies like me how good this stuff is
I think i'll do my car letters and emblems as well, and like others, the window trims, it doesn't seem like we have to be super careful with the paint because it comes right off with a micro polish towel, lol geez it look super easy

#34 ·
Off to Lowes again now to get me 3 cans on this shiat :) there is no need to remove the window trims, just some tape to mask the bigger parts, and some patience removing the excess. is that how people are doing this with our cars ? I just want to make sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.