Pontiac G8 Forum banner

LCA Replacement - DIY or dealer?

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  GMCustomerService 
#1 ·
I'm curious if LCA replacement is a typical DIY job or if it's best done at the dealer.

(the reason is I see special tools listed in the TSB)

Has anyone done it themselves?

#2 ·
if you choose to have it done professionally, i would buy the kit from pace and have a good mechanic do it and not the stealership. save a bunch that way.

#4 ·
Is the "front control arm kit" the LCA replacement parts on Pace's website? Unfortunately I think mine are finally starting to go again - 70,000 miles on them

#9 ·
I had the ball joint separator tool you show. It didn't work. A hammer did.

Do it yourself, it's not that difficult. If you decide to do it, take the 10 minutes per side to remove the inner fenderwells first. Makes getting at the forward bolt a lot easier.

Also, remember that proper procedure typically calls for putting it back together with the bolts almost tight, putting the wheels on, lowering the car so there's weight on it, then tightening the bolts with it on the ground (which is another reason to remove the inner fenderwells). Then, jack it back up, pull the wheels again, and replace the inner fenderwell covers.

Good luck.

#10 ·
The hardest part for me was getting a wrench lined up with the bolt heads to perform the final tightening (after dropping the car from the jack-stands.) BigZub hit the nail on the head with his recommendation for pulling the fenderwell (and hammer for the ball-joint).

#11 ·
Good year quoted me like 80 bucks per arm, per sway bar for install.

#21 ·
Thanks Rob, hopefully I can buy the set before the summer.

#23 ·
Does GM warrenty any of this stuff out? I am getting ready to go in for my FOURTH set, but this time I'm going in out of normal of warranty. I'm not paying that re rediculous bill for such a crappy part.

#24 ·
If you still had a warranty, they would cover it. If you had it done under warranty and you're now out of warranty, they still *might* cover it.

#25 ·
Normally, if the work was performed at a GM dealership and they used genuine GM parts there should be a 12 month or 12,000 mile, whichever comes first warranty on the parts and labor.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.