Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Chevrolet SS Sedan Revealed With 415-HP

19K views 131 replies 75 participants last post by  IZRED 
#1 ·

Finally, the V8 powered sport-sedan from Chevrolet has been revealed, sporting both impressive performance credentials and luxury goods.

Standing alongside the new NASCAR Chevy SS, the road-going production version certainly looks brawny enough for the Chevy faithful, harking back to the Pontiac G8 and taking inspiration from the new Holden Commodore.

The SS will actually be made alongside the Holden Commodore in Australia and uses the 6.2-liter LS3 V8 engine, as opposed to the new LT1 motor found in the 2014 Corvette Stingray. Still, that V8 is plenty powerful, putting 415 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque. Chevy estimates a sub five-second 0-60 sprint.

This should help the SS compete against other full-size rivals like the Chrysler 300C and Hyundai Genesis sedan, which are both available with V8 power and rear-wheel drive to provide sporty driving dynamics. However, those two cars also feature a full suite of luxury amenities and high-tech features.

The new SS doesn’t disappoint in that regard, with a spacious interior that provides as much interior legroom than the 300 and Genesis, give or take an inch.

Leather seating is standard and there are “SS” emblems stitched into the instrument panel. Cabin lighting lends icey-blue accents to the interior at night too.

In terms of tech, the SS has loads of standard equipment including a MyLink touch screen infotainment and navigation, a Bose nine-speaker sound system, a color heads-up display, push-button start, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, side blind zone alert, rear-vision camera and rear cross traffic alert. The SS is also the first Chevrolet vehicle to offer active park assist, which can help automatically park the porky sedan.

Still, the SS will appeal most to enthusiasts, and although the car is only available with a six-speed automatic transmission, (with paddle shifters) it still has some tire-shredding potential. A close to 50/50 weight distribution, and a low center of gravity was made possible thanks to an aluminum hood and rear deck lid, and are sure to help with handling.

The vehicle’s standard Brembo brakes have ventilated 355-millimeter rotors and two-piece four-piston front calipers, and are sure to bring the big sedan to a stop quickly.

Overall, the SS exudes a bad-ass attitude thanks to its staggered 19-inch wheels. Pricing hasn’t been announced and is sure to come closer to the car’s debut later this year.
See more Chevrolet SS photos at AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#3 ·
I was really hoping for something impressive; the tease has been long enough that we were right to expect the LT1 and M6, and some beautiful colours (colors for my American friends). Disappointing.

On the flip side, this makes me realize what a bold move it was for Pontiac to launch our cars when they did. In 2008, this was truly a revolutionary bold new vehicle introduction. We know, we've been driving and enjoying them for years.

GM just has a knack for sucking the life out of something like this. Why oh why did they pick this colour for all the press release shots? The Aussies had the sense to pick the copper/orange/black SSV for their launch. I'm not trying to offend those with silver cars, and I love the G8 in silver. But if you're building up hype like this, launch the car with a colour that is bold and makes a statement. For crapsakes, there's a pace car sitting RIGHT THERE in blue with white Daytona stripes, and it looks like it only made in into some shots by accident.

Anyway... bit of a rant, and in a way, this is a testament to how solid the platform is.

#22 ·
I was really hoping for something impressive; the tease has been long enough that we were right to expect the LT1 and M6, and some beautiful colours (colors for my American friends). Disappointing.

On the flip side, this makes me realize what a bold move it was for Pontiac to launch our cars when they did. In 2008, this was truly a revolutionary bold new vehicle introduction. We know, we've been driving and enjoying them for years.

GM just has a knack for sucking the life out of something like this. Why oh why did they pick this colour for all the press release shots? The Aussies had the sense to pick the copper/orange/black SSV for their launch. I'm not trying to offend those with silver cars, and I love the G8 in silver. But if you're building up hype like this, launch the car with a colour that is bold and makes a statement. For crapsakes, there's a pace car sitting RIGHT THERE in blue with white Daytona stripes, and it looks like it only made in into some shots by accident.

Anyway... bit of a rant, and in a way, this is a testament to how solid the platform is.
I agree big time but am still holding out hope that this isn't the whole story. Hopefully there will be these wonderful things called options down the road. Maybe the LT1 and the M6 will become available eventually. I'm kind of down on them for following the herd with the LED lights. Audi should have filed a patent on that. Everybody else is just copycatting. I think the colors will come. But, as of right now, all I see is a gussied up GXP minus the M6 with a Malibu front end. Hope its not the end of the story.

#16 ·
Not so sure I would describe colours other than silver/grey as "fruity", but that's a matter of opinion I guess.

Just seems to me that some corporate suit decided they would debut it in a "safe" colour. "Safe" isn't for halo cars. Halo cars make a statement.

#7 ·
So it's got the 415 hp LS3 with an AUTOMATIC ONLY (really GM???) and will likely be priced to compete with the 470 hp srt8 cars. Yea, welcome back to 2009 with a rebadged Gxp with better interior but without a manual transmission option. Fail.

#8 ·
if theyt bring it over in 2015 i bet they might throw in the lt1 and m6 as an option butthat will jack the price up more

#10 ·
still on the fence... not the best reveal pictures.. SSV pics were MUCH better

Will have to see pricing, but so far i don't like that there's:

no manual
no LT1 (ok this was probably expected)
ugly wheels
brembos only in the front
those stupid notches in the front bumper for the assist sensors
limited color choices (red, black, silver, green, white)
single exhaust tips? (did SSV have dual?)

anyway- just my opinion, and maybe seeing it in person will sway me

#12 ·
The lack of a manual transmission is a complete deal breaker for me.

#13 ·
Sorry guys but its not for me. The only thing I can come away and say I truly like is the seats. Other than that it looks like a car that can get lost in the sea of other cars in todays market.

This car had the potential to be SO much more.

#14 ·
Hey, I have a car just like this! Except mine has 50 fewer HP and cost probably $12,000 less.

#17 ·
More like $20k less, they should of gone LT1 good luck trying to compete with the SRT crowd 50hp down. SRT Hemi will be the same hp difference as between GT & GXP in those cars are a ton of difference. Also should of up dated all corners to Camaro Brembos and try not using a 5+ year old Holden option wheel on a new model. The seats do look nice and maybe we can gain some parts such as the black window trim (no AU shipping cost) & the clock spring to gain full paddle shift function w/LED on wheel.

#15 ·
Not bad but not great and life changing if you no what I mean. Looks nice enough but not really bad ass. Yahoo article states about 5k will be made a year to start for public sale with a hefty price tag. Should help with the used values of a g8. Maybe create some new interest. Used G8 for 23k or a new SS for 43k. lol. The tech stuff is a very nice addition to the SS line and will make it competitive with Chrysler and others who have had this stuff for several years now.

#19 ·
so basically it's the GXP, with no manual option - but prolly for 40k and change.

#letdown

#20 ·
No manual. Come on really. Well looks like most of us feel the same. Not buying this now. Any one have a low mileage unabused GXP M6 they want to trade? My GT is perfect.

#21 ·
I'm disappointed. I was hoping for more of a departure from the bland Chevrolet brand styling. The old LS3 + no manual = fail. This is basically a G8 with an updated interior. Why the 5 year hiatus? They hardly even retooled anything. 'Bout the only thing that looks different are the fenders and quarters where they attach to the front/rear fascias headlights/taillights. Looks like they just truncated them a bit. What I see is a budget facelift/retool. Makes me wonder if they'd bother spending the NRE to put the LT1 in the platform in any of the next 3 MY. Sounds like Holden is going to release an all new Commodore no earlier than 2017.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but as I got my G8 in the summer and it's hibernating for the winter.... is our hood & trunk steel? My old 96 TA Ram Air, they were fiberglass, along with the doors. The front fenders were plastic. I just wonder how aluminum parts compare in weight to fiberglass....

Also, it would be nice if they put some alumimum suspension parts on the car. I just changed a 2003 Nissan Altima's lower control arms and they were aluminum!

Finally, I am glad because it makes our G8's that much more exclusive. I don't know what I could buy to replace it!

#23 ·
As for the engine...

The LT1 is being built solely in Tonawanda. This car being built in Australia. Thats a lot of back and forth shipping if they went that route.

Isn't this new platform supposed to be lighter than ours? Any weight specs?

#85 ·
Oh yea, right in my backyard!! I hope to get an engine plant tour someday soon and maybe if they let me, pictures!!! That would rock!! Even if we can only hope that year 2 or year 3 might be the 5.5L LT1 as an option with a 7 or 8 speed fortified manual, talk about "rowin the gears" :D

You know, I have mixed feelings about the new SS. On one hand, I just can't help wonder why the big secret when the car isn't really ground breaking on anything, looks or performance wise. However, there is enough over all that I do like about it. That said, I can live without all the technical gadgetry, I like my G8 just the way it is. What would be nice, is if they came out with sort of like a "COPO" edition, just the basic creature amenities as the G8, but with all performance goodies that the new SS is lacking. I can get on board with the LS3 because its stout, but how about finishing up with Nrembos at all 4 corners , maybe different gearing options, option for a supercharger from the factory, but at a lower price. Basically a fairly stripped down comfort model, in exchange for all performance. Just my 2 cents. Maybe that's the plan for the 2015.
Makes me glad that I still have my G8, better styled (I know, subjective!) even though it's the older VE platform, and yes, the awesomeness of HUD, better steering wheel with factory tapshifts and other interior enhancements are great, but rainsense wipers, auto-park, and lane departure warning.... what is this, a car geared towards 80 year olds? haha

My g8 will keep on goin hopefully for many more years to come, or until it rusts away from unbridled "driven as it should be driven" like I have been for the past 57k. Could I get an SS? Well, doubtful with the inflated price, but will it be somewhat magical for the first time I see one on the road? Very likely. Would I race it? Most definately. Would I bow if it wins? Most definately. But not in the looks department.

I'm just excited to see what the early adoptors do with rebadging/debadging and other initial modifications. The first one to have a blower put on will be cool to experience on forums and/or online reports.

At the very least it means that possibly suspension and other similarities between this car and the elder bretheren from a different mother means good things for the longevity of our g8's.

And you can't blame members-of-g8board/owners of g8's to be biased against the looks of the newcomer.... they're biased for a reason -- myself included!!

:wink2:

I can't wait till daniel transplants his current powertrain into an SS body and sees what she's capable of on the track. If it came stock with 275's out back, a little fender massaging and 315's or wider would be awesome in the 'stance' and 'grip' departments!! :D

--zep

#83 ·

Um, I'd hardly call the '94-'96 Impala SS a "proper sports sedan": they're awesome cars, but they're Caprices with some stiffer suspension bits. They're not "sports" anything, more like a muscle sedan. Man I hate the automotive press sometimes.

And after seeing that slide show of the new SS,

a.) the front is gross
b.) the back is okay, but way too Japanese for my taste
c.) it needs a lot more pizazz than the colour silver can give it

If this is going to be in luxury car territory, but still appeal to muscle-starved boomers, it needs more fire and less fluff... IMO, anyway.

#27 ·
17 years since Chevy has built a proper rear wheel drive sports sedan, but only a few since GM...RIP Pontiac and the G8. Im lucky to still have mine and time will tell if the SS lives up to its long lost cousin.

#29 ·
I looked at all the negativity on here and others sites toward this car,and I had to step back and ask myself If was wrong about being so excited about this car.

Nope,I still want one really bad!! Yeah,silver wasn't the best for the unveil even though I do like the SS in that color. The LT1 would've been better,and a manual would be great too.

All of that is a not a deal breaker! Maybe a manual and the LT1 will come along in the future.

I do think the front end of the new Commodore and the G8 looks better. Again,not a deal breaker though.

#32 ·
If the price is the same as the gxp was, it will be a great deal and very modable if you need more.
Great interior, better steering wheel, looks good IMO,
I was hoping for a lt1 supercar for 45k with magnetic ride. But l'll take a great bargain bmw beater as well.

Wait I already have a gxp. It is a better car than the completion for less. That is what Chevy does, right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.