Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Header Coating

2K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Xeqshnr 
#1 ·
Just bought a set a JBA LT headers. I'm going to get them coated locally and wanted to hear some opinions on color. Right now I'm lookin at either thermachrome or satin black. What you guys think??

#3 ·
I got mine "sterling silver jethot 2100 degree dip coated" (instead of spray coated, dip coated means the entire header goes into the dip tank so the entire inside and the entire outside is coated, unlike spray paint coated where they can only get a few inches inside the primaries).

Mine still look to be in great condition with no flaking or problems with the coating. You can tell there has been plenty of heat cycles in the 35k miles I've had these headers for, but through rain, snow, salt, sleet, hail, you name it, my daily driver sees it all. This coating has stood up to some of the harshest of environments here in the northeast, and if I were to do it all over again, I'd get the exact same thing. :D

EDIT: Sorry, might have misread your intent, but I wanted to endorse the JetHot system if it's available to you. Do you have any pictures of your "themachrome" or "satin black" that you can post up in this thread to get some additional input?

#4 ·
+1 on the JetHot coating
I used them in my MGBGT V8 conversion where engine bay space was limited.
Kept temps down and always looked like new. Coating inside and out is well worth it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I'm not sure if they spray or dip where I'm getting them done, or if they use the Jethot system or not. I will get more info. I have talked to a guy that had his done there and he was reall happy with the work.

#6 ·
So long as they are long tube and you are not running a supercharger, it comes down to which color you prefer. Traditional bright ceramic will not hold up to most SC or turbo applications and it doesn't tend to do well in "shorty" applications either.

Also, the black finish will last longer without dulling or discoloration, but the bright will likely be a bit cooler under hood. To keep it bright and shiny you should also put some non abrasive aluminum polish on them at least once a season.

#10 ·
Well, that's news to me. Thank you for clarifying! Learn something new every day. Sorry for the misinformation, I was under the impression that that was the procedure that was used when I learned about the options available at the time.

#15 ·
No problem. That's not unusual. Although they are completely different, many shops and customers alike use "sprayed" and "dipped" interchangeably. There may be a rebel here or there that actually dips a thermal base coat, but dipping a complex header in bright ceramic is a recipe for disaster.

Another common misconception involves powder coating and ceramic coating. They are completely different operations. Currently, there is NO such animal as a "ceramic powder coating". Although there are high temp powders, they do NOT include any ceramic and they are really designed for limited temp industrial applications as opposed to motorsports applications. If a coated wants to coat your headers in powder, run away as fast as possible.

Ceramic coatings for the purposes of this discussion are predominately wet sprayed materials which are water based or solvent based. They are also available as a plasma spray which is derived from an industrial environment as well. This process offers some durability advantages with regards to abrasion but is limited to OD only applications and isn't offered in any colors..

#11 ·
Now thats the kind of insight I was looking for CCP. What colors hold up better in certain applications and such. Froms what you have said I think the satin black will work the best for me. I'm not all about the bright and shiny anyway and my car has satin black accents. I will still check what brand materials they are using and how they apply them and post what I find.
Thanks again everyone for all the input.

#17 ·
Wow, that's an awesome response from both bluegoat06 and CCP, this is a great thread.

I was told by my tuning company that they usually discouraged any type of coating since it was more prone to cracking, chipping, and looking bad after a while. I have not had any of those results with my headers.

While I'm not against the purplish-blue coloring of an uncoated header, I would really love to see some of the fine examples of satin black under the hood of a g8, that has me intrigued.

At least these headers we're discussing are not plastidipped, ha ha ha!

#18 ·
I think what they were referring to was with regards to "tuning". You NEVER want to fire up a new engine or dyno an engine with bright ceramic headers. Doing so will in most cases lead to severe dulling of the finish, or in extreme conditions actual delamination of the coating (see below). You always want to do this with an old set or if you have a High Temp Ceramic it doesn't matter. Once the coating has been over heated it's surface becomes porous and rusting is not to far behind it.

Keep in mind that both "too lean" and "too rich" conditions are equally bad. A lean condition will lead to dulling from the head to about mid primary. Slight dulling is normal in most applications. A too rich conditions will lead to dulling from mid primary to about the collector as raw gasses are burning after the fact.

Fresh Headers after about 5 minutes of a lean start

Unlucky Jet Hot customer not told that bright won't work on a turbo header

Over heated pipes prior to delamination above.

#19 ·
Your right Zepcom this is an awesome thread. Great info for anyone looking to get their headers coated.
That being said I have an intake on my '78 T/A thats Jethot coated bright silver and looks great after 10yrs. But now I know the same coating on a header will require a little more maintenance I would rather do the satin black. IMHO good clean satin black can take the place of chrome anyday.

And CCP, what you talkin bout not as extreme?? My engine looks just like that under the cover! Lol

#22 ·
Those look nice Bluegoat! I noticed on your sig you have the deep sump trans pan. Im thinking about doing that also. Any ground clearance issues??

#24 ·
Non at all.

Sent from my Nexus S4G | 4.1.1 AOSP JellyButt v2.4

#25 ·
Quick update. Got my headers over to Powdercoating Unlimited yesterday for satin black ceramic. Ill post up some pics when they return.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#26 · (Edited)
Had a box o headers and my doorstep when I got home from work today!! I think they turned out great. And at $240 the orice was right too. I'm sure the entire inside wasn't coated, but they did a heck of a job trying!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.