Pontiac G8 Forum banner

I'm tired of having to demand respect.

6K views 51 replies 43 participants last post by  pyroguy 
#1 ·
Very few people really know our cars, what we have, and its potential.
But everytime I come across a so called "worthy" opponenet, I have to always let them hear my exhaust by goosing it or reving to get them to bite.
No different last night. I am cruising the Mexican Highways looking for victims as usual when I come up on an 1992-1996 LT-1 Corvette. Still had square tips, so I am guessing totally stock.
Pull next to him going 65....look over at him....I take off, but not at WOT. But enough for him to know I have a V8 and I think I can take him. (I had no doubt)
I slow down and he comes up fast to line up. Hooked him! You know, some Vette owners....the ones that really don't know cars, actually believe no matter what you have, you can't beat them.
Anyway.....we both take off, and I pull on him so hard I swear he wasn't racing. He is in my rear view mirror so fast, and fading quickly. To the point I felt bad. Musta been a fluke right? He comes back. This time I let him punch first.....same result.
I really believe he was taught a hard lesson. I know he had no idea it would end that way. I try to make it a point to know the performance of every car.....and try to learn what they can do with mods. I know what, and what not to mess with. That was the only action I could find all night so I am not really that proud of this kill. Sometimes proving a point on behalf of all G8's is what must be done.

See less See more
#4 ·
who cares what other people think? That may solve your problem right there IMHO. Just drive and enjoy the car. People are stupid.

#5 ·
#26 ·
Very true.

#11 ·
sooo, if you prove your point on the street, you dont earn respect?
So the supercharged G8 pulling on a terminator Cobra, or the TT Gallardos totally destroying N20 bikes and 1,400 hp Supras on the freeways of Houston do not earn respect because it was done on the street? Thats a point that is going to be hard to prove.

#15 ·
Stalker, troll, which one.. Why lurk around on a board if you gonna act and say things like that.. almost everyone has done a little street fun once or twice... Nobody even questioned you or your car so why the crappy attitude man. If you wanna blow your horn about how I will destroy you on the track, blah... blah... blah, go blow it somewhere else. I don't say much on these boards, but this is a section about racing, what did ya expect to get here..

#16 ·
Hey guys, before this gets into a bashing contest and name calling or whatever, lets just make sure we do not derail the OP's thread.

We all know this is the Kill section which talks about street racing occasionally. For those not interested in that subject you are more than welcome to visit the track sub forums.

I absolutely respect everyone's opinions and feed back to these threads, but lets not detract from the OP's story.

Thanks guys.

#19 ·
Do some appearance mods, lower it, new wheels/tires, and make sure it's loud and you will get more noticed. Your car is a sleeper now, why would someone bother testing you on the road.

#23 ·
+1. The track can only be so much fun.

Things are always a lot more funn when your not supposed to be doing it. For example: Gettin it in with your ex's bestfriend.....:nono:

#21 ·
To The Yeti's point, I don't think the idea of this thread is to argue whether or not street racing is good or bad - this pops up at least a few times a month in the "Kills" section - but to say, "Hey OP, nice kill!" or "Hey OP, that LT1 Vette was no competition!" or something like that. The Vette didn't provoke the assault, but it sounds like he did try again a second time, which means he's just as guilty :). That, to me, makes this a "good kill" regardless of whether we condone street racing or not.

#25 ·
So again, just to make sure I'm clear, if there is any name calling weather indirect or not It will not be tolerated on our forum. The key here is that we all deserve a level of respect, and we can all choose to post or not regarding subject matter we don't agree with. Just because you may feel passionately about racing at the track, or racing on a deserted Mexican highway doesn't mean that is the end all be all because you guy may feel that way. So lets not beat a dead horse. Provoking others with back and fourth banter is not cool.

We are all adults, so lets make the best of the OP's thread and leave the childish stuff out.

I won't speak on this again. Thanks Guys. Carry on.

#27 ·
Not sure why one needs to try to earn respect from someone who does not respect our cars already... if they dont respect them, then they are not educated in cars and performance... if they are not educated... then who cares about them....

i would think that most of the time when someone rolls up and revs, the person doesnt have a lack of respect for the car.... they probably laugh and has a lack of respect for the person revving or trying to race.... alot of people just think its stupid and arent gong to race anyway.... so i wouldnt interpret people not racing you as a sign of a lack of respect.... it may be something else....

#28 ·
Street race,road race, track race.....I race...and will break it to win.

Nuff said.

Good kill.

#35 ·
Lol.... I like your style! :driving:

I think the M3 driver is talking road course for the most part. And I agree with him regarding that. That is some of the best time you can have in your car is taking it to a road course and spending a day or two driving it to the limit.

I like this slogan....

"1/4 mile is for fast cars... road racing is for fast drivers." :)

#29 ·
I had a 78' Pacer with a straight 6 six that i swapped for a 340/4spd...and got respect.

#30 ·
[=ColdFuzion;889510]I get more adrenaline from pulling up to a light and thinking something may go down than waiting 45 minutes in a staging lane for 9-13 seconds of fun. To each their own.[/QUOTE]

+1,000,000,000,000

#32 ·
[=ColdFuzion;889510]I get more adrenaline from pulling up to a light and thinking something may go down than waiting 45 minutes in a staging lane for 9-13 seconds of fun. To each their own.

+1,000,000,000,000[/QUOTE]
Isn't this the truth.
I have done several track runs in previous cars and motorcycles and have to agree I get a lot more of a rush out on a long back stretch of road than I ever did on a track. It's the waiting, waiting, and yeah waiting that kills me with track racing.

To be able to post a fun run, uturn and go back at it again...then sharing some stories and a chat session afterward is what now gives me a rush.

However, I am 41 years of age. In my younger years I would typically give the one finger salute if I got beat. I am a lot more respectful and mature now. ;)

#31 ·
Great story and nice kill OP and I agree Vette owners regardless of the year think their car's are untouchable.

#33 ·
I used to have a supercharged cobalt, imagine how hard it was demanding respect in the 4 cylinder community.

#34 · (Edited)
Respect is just knowing the food chain, I drove by a Camaro ZL1 today and knew he would eat me.... The BMW and mid 2000's mustang I had pull up next to me at a light today learned the pecking order very quickly.

Its nature. The circle of life.

#37 ·
#38 ·
I think people are starting to catch onto G8s now. I know why I rarely get bites. It's because they don't want to be embarrassed by a 4 door sedan.

#39 ·
I think this is the case. It's hard to stir up a street race, I recently messed with a SS and after I left him in my dust (bad driver mod), he pulled up at the next light and laughed at "my family sedan" (his words) and drove off.

I bought a G8 because I didn't want a "me too" car. (person #1 "I drive a mustang." person #2 "Me too.") So stupid people not knowing whats up, don't really bother me. They just remind me that I have something special

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.