Pontiac G8 Forum banner

LED Front Turn signal Switchback write up

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wintershrinkage 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
So i just installed my LED Switch back turn signals and i noticed that there arent really any detailed step by step instructions on how to install them. So i thought that i would make one:)

Just a quick note:

-You will not have to remove your headlight assembly

I bought the "6K TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 92 TURN SIGNAL BULBS 1157 2057 "
http://www.v-leds.com/6K-TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-p7472059.html $69.99 from V-LED

as well as "6 OHM 50W 2 BULB LOAD EQUALIZER RESISTORS LED TURN SIGNAL BLINKER FIX | 1 PAIR"
http://www.v-leds.com/Load-Resistors/6-OHM-50W-2-BULB-LOAD-p4783296.html

Some things that you will need for this:
-Pliers
-Electrical Tape
-X-acto knife
-Rag (to whip hand of grease)
-Small flat head screw driver
-And a flashlight or work light

Pre-Step(Optional): You can disconnect the negative terminal to the battery if you want. I didnt because i didnt want to have to constently connect and disconnect it while testing the the lights.

Alright, on to the show

We will start with the driver side. You will want to remove your stock/aftermarket intake system. If you dont know how to do that there are, many threads out there that tell you how to do that.

Once you have the intake out, disconnect the headlight wiring harness. In order to do this, take your flat head screw driver, and place it between the red clip and the main black harness.

Carefully twist the screw driver so that you are able to stick the screw driver in a bit more and pry up on it. Once it is pulled up enough to be able to stick your fingers in there, put your finger into the clip and pull up on the red clip until it wont go up anymore. Once you have done that grab hold of the black harness and pull out. You should have this in your fingers:

Once you have done that, remove the electrical tape from the start of the harness till you hit the intersection of the wires. You want to do this so you can have access at the wires inorder to apply the blue wire taps to them.

Now that this is done, you want to remove the stock turn signal bulb. In order to do this reach into the engine bay to the right were the headlight assembly is. Feel around till you feel this:

Twist the bulb and gentle pull it out. Now that you have done that, push gentle and turn the bulb to take it out. Insert your new switchback bulb and carefully insert it back into the housing and locking it in place.

The next thing we are going to do is apply the resistor to the wiring harness to prevent hyper flashing. In order to do this you must find the white and blue wire put your wire tap on the wire and put your resistor cable in the other slot. grab your pliers and firmly squeeze down on the clip so that the metal piece is flush with the surface of the wire tap.

Next we then want to connect the other end of the resistor to the ground cable. There is 3 black ground cables, you can connect your wire tap to any of the black ones. So just put your wire tap on the ground cable and put the other end of the resistor. Take the pliers again and press down on the metal piece till it is flush with the surface of the wire tap.

In the end it should look like this:

Now that this is all connected, plug the harness back into the headlight. To do this place it on the headlight connector and press down on the red clip.

Lets the headlight now. Go to your car and turn your headlight knob to parking breaks. If all works well, the light should light up as white. If not check your wire taps to make sure that they are connected properly.

The next test is to see if the turn signal works and doesn't flash. Turn the key to pre-ignition(turn before the engine start), turn the left turn signal on and see what happens. If it blinks at normal speed after three blinks then your connect is good. If it hyperflashes after 3 blinks, your resistor isn't connected properly to your wires.

Now that everything is working you want to mount the resistor. You want to mount it on double sided tape and put it in a secure place where it wont interfere with any of the engine parts. When you look in your engine bay there is a metal shaft that runs front to back, i mounted my there.

Once you have that mounted get your electrical tape and rap up your cables on the wiring harness. Like so:

Once it is all done it should look and function like so:
http://youtu.be/cEf3c9ikyjs?hd=1" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
http://youtu.be/cEf3c9ikyjs?hd=1"> http://youtu.be/cEf3c9ikyjs?hd=1" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

See less See more
#2 ·
I will soon upload the instructions for the passenger bulb as well later tonight, Let me know what you all think of my instructions or if there is anything i can do to improve on it

#4 ·
It is very easy, I mounted my driver side resistor on the chasis bar, and i mounted my passenger one by the front grills to allow it to cool off and not produce a ton of heat

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.