Pontiac G8 Forum banner

GT ECM locked by previous owner

5K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  GOINGSOLO2 
#1 ·
I purchased my G8 GT from a local dealership about 6 months ago. The car had a Volant CAI and Solo Performance HFCs and Exhaust. I had my suspicions that the car was previously tuned, and if not, I wanted to retune it myself. I ordered EFI Live and connected for the first time. Sure enough, the ECU was locked. Any idea of what I can do to unlock it?

The owner was local (from Nia Falls IIRC), but never met him/her.

#3 ·
See if the dealership can put a factory tune back in it. Tell them you thought it would be factory when you bought it.

#4 ·
If you take it to a GM dealership (Cappelinos is good, Mike Smith is good, etc) they could try to flash it back to stock, but no guarentees. I have heard some of them "fail" meaning that you need to procure a new ECM and do the case relearn. That gets expensive fast. Or do what SRG963 said and call them and see what their expertise is to swap out your bunk ecm with one of theirs or something.

But that doesn't address the TCM tune which would be on there forever. Is it aggressive or sloppy or "just right"? If just right, might be okay to leave it, but if it's not to your liking, then that one's difficult at best since the TCM is inside the transmission and can't be swapped out like the ECM can.

Good luck man. Try one of the local dealerships on transit, might be into them for an hour or two labor, but try to work into the deal that if the flash doesn't work, it's cheaper or free or something (you get what you pay for kinda mentality) .... hopefully.

good luck man

#5 ·
One other member ran into the same thing and was able to locate the previious owner. Maybe you might have luck with that first.

#9 ·
Yeah its wrong, its under the relay box in the right front of the engine bay. Oops I was thinking ecm, TCM is in tranny.

#10 ·
#13 ·
I would think the dealer you got it from should work with you . They didn't disclose that there was a tune on it . Good luck with the issue .
Also I don't know how it works but if his user name is still active. I wonder if you send the person from the last link a pm,if he would receive an e mail. Just a thought[

QUOTE][ you said local to Niagara Falls? maybe this is the guy?

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=544 /QUOTE]

#15 ·
Link not found. Try again?

#14 ·
gtpprix has PM's turned off administratively. visit his website whiteautoandmedia.com and inquire within via the contact-us link.

#16 ·
Good to know.

#18 ·
if you click the first link not the quoted ones it works, but here is the thread the guy is from Niagara Falls and his car fits the description, his sig says VMS tuned- you dont have to get in contact with this guy just yet just call VMS and ask if they tuned the car. He hasnt logged on since July 2012 so maybe try sending a email as well.

this is his sig: '09 PBM G8 GT: volant CAI, solo mach exhaust with high-flow cats, VMS Stg1 ECM/TCM tune

I've only had the chance to drive about 10 miles to work so far so, I'll just give my initial impression: The actual volume seems to have changed very little (maybe 5% louder). The biggest thing I've noticed is that the tone seems to have become a little deeper and I notice the "thrum" of the engine in the exhaust note a bit more over the "rasp" being discussed. I'm going to cruise around for a bit after I get out of work tonight to get a better idea of the changes (power and sound wise) and I'll elaborate a bit more then.

UPDATE: After cruising around last night for a bit, I'll add a bit more to my earlier description: I would say on average, overall volume has increased by about 10% and the tone of the exhaust got just a bit deeper after adding the CAI. When standing behind the car as it idles, I noticed the rasp of the exhaust really hasn't changed - It's just a little less noticeable from the driver's seat due to the change in the exhaust note. The CAI did introduce a bit of drone in the 1200-1500 RPM range under light throttle but, I'm sure that can be eliminated if I adjust the J's a little.

#19 ·
Nice! I've seen a recent rash of used VMS tuning cables come up for sale, sure there might be a fee to convert someone's to match your vin so you can program your car with it, and maybe with VMS's help they can send you the current (and stock!) files for both ECM and TCM for your car... then you can at least have control over the tune that is loaded on your car, and at most, you could tune it yourself back to stock and go back to the drawing board for what is right to suit YOUR needs.

Good luck OP, if you ever want a demo on how to flash or change tunes, we can meet up and I can show ya. Of course this assumes you already have done the steps above where you obtain a cable for your car and possibly pay VMS for the tune conversion or whatnot.

--zepcom

#20 ·
This has to be the previous owner.....It makes almost perfect sense. I have a lead! The hunt continues.

#21 ·
This is getting circular now. LMS needs the previous owner's name and order details to look up the info. The dealership won't give me his name for privacy reasons. GRRRRRRRRRRR

#22 ·
I sent the old member a PM HOPING it's him, which I have suspicion it is.

Since he has no email form of contact at all..........

#23 ·
After some further investigative work, I think I have the puzzle figured out. I PM'd Steve from VMS for the unlock with the known data...........

I have scrounged together through various posts and such, I forwarded back another PM. Let's see what he says!

#24 ·
hope it works out for ya man, geesh this is turning crazy indeed. Sounds like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Lets just hope it's not a train heading your way! :D

#25 ·
Lately it has been a train.............

Between this..........

The rear O2 extenders rotting off the car and almost losing the sensor....

The exhaust leaks.......

The flat tire I contracted on my Blizzak which was deemed unrepairable. $275 later.....a new tire.

TRAIN WRECKAGE!

#26 ·
Just spent $450 to get VMS to unlock this bastard and give me a factory cal. Fun times!

#28 ·
At least you've confirmed that the light at the end of this tunnel is NOT an upcoming train barreling towards you.

Between that and the complementary fix from another vendor of this forum, hopefully you can see this as progress, and not let your initial experiences reflect that of what most G8 owners go through.... from here on in, you can modify to your own preferences without limitations!

And geesh, whats with all these Buffalo NY people around here? I think compared to the past 4 years, the "local group" has doubled at least in size!!

Good to hear that your purchase from VMS allows you free future upgrades to that vin, in case you need them as your mods change.

--zepcom

#29 ·
I didn't want to mention the fact that when I popped my flat, there was no spare either. LOL! Had to BUY a wheel to have just in case....... :judge::judge::judge::judge::judge::judge::judge::judge:

:drink:

What do you mean future upgrades for free? This is merely turning the car back to stock calibration wise. Apparently they will not allow me to modify the existing tune.

#30 ·
Yea ,they don't come with spares .

Yea Zep , I was noticing the same with there being more locals . There's gotta be at least nine of us on here .

#31 ·
Seriously? So what do you do if you pop a flat? :slap:

#32 ·
Well...

Since around $500 is the cost of a brand new cable and the tune package, or so I thought, since you procured the cable from the previous owner, I guess I just assumed that you paid the difference to VMS to now have the full tuning package as if you bought it new. That's highway robbery if that was not the case....

And "stock equipped" cars came with a fix-a-flat can and an air pump. Yuck!

Too bad you didn't call me when you got your flat, not only do I have a spare set of my summers (I could have brought it to you to at least get home that day) ... but I also have a slightly-curbrashed-rim that is perfect for mounting an almost used-up tire onto, and throwing it along with the pace jack kit in the trunk as your new full sized spare. But I guess you got that done, alebit a little harder and more expensively, but when immediate needs need to prevail...

Is this car like a bad omen to you, OP ? Maybe I don't want to meet up with you. ha ha ha Need to turn that karma around man!! :)

#33 ·
It's been OK luck thus far. It could have been worse. I love driving it when it runs right. Right now, that's my biggest hurdle. I had hammered the throttle on an on ramp to the 290E and she bogged and sputtered. NO BUENO!

Anyway, I have the spare wheel sorted out at least.

I was unable to get the cable from the previous owner. No dice. Can't get his info nor in touch with him. He's from Darien and the stealership won't provide me his info........FAIL SAUCE!

So today I purchased a new cable AND the "map transfer"...no idea what thagt entails, but $450 later it left me a REAL sour taste in my mouth.

#35 ·
Great question! Existing tune leaves much to be desired in all honesty. It's clumsy through the map and bogs in other spots...has some holes in it. I wanted it back to stock to retune it myself. I have tuned several cars of mine and friends over the years. I am sure I can get a better map built myself with excellent drive-ability, fuel economy and power.

I have tuned plenty of turbo and supercharged cars. So N/A is a walk in the park in comparison. :driving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.