Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Goodyear Gatorbacks... Worth it?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  KevlarDreams 
#1 ·
I recently changed over from my stock belts to Goodyear Gatorbacks, due to constant tearing of belts. I have since torn one of the Gatorbacks and had to replace it. Is this due to anything in particular? I use an SLP 25% crank pulley currently. Maybe that has something to due with it? Or, are the Gatorbacks just a gimmick?

#2 ·
The Gatorbacks eliminated an annoying squeak under my hood. But, that's not saying a set of new stock belts wouldn't have done the same thing.:dunno:

They were installed ~5000 miles ago. So far, so good. FWIW, I still have the stock pulleys with ~80,000 miles on them.

#3 ·
My take on this is, if the damage is showing up first at the outer edges and migrating inward slowly over time, that you have one or more belt pulleys out of true alignment. I would think that (that) would start carving up the belt outer edges pretty quickly. If its the backside of the belt showing the problem (smooth side starting to scrape through), then you should check all the idler and tension-er pulleys (smooth surfaced free spinning) for proper operation and surface condition.

#4 ·
I think I need to make a rephrase, as where I used the word torn. My belts have snapped right apart. I'm not outputting tons of HP, so I don't understand. It's happened 3 times with stock belts and once, so far, with GB's.

#5 ·
Then you best take that big serpentine belt off, an perform an in-depth check of all the rotating pulleys (ribbed and smooth) as needed. I think Gatorbacks are a very good brand of belts. Sounds like something is very scarred up or is binding when under its normal tension load.

#7 ·
Not serpentine, it's the comp belt. I work at a GM dealership, left my car in the shop for entire work days more than a few times. Nothing chunky on pulleys, no misalignment. It's a mystery. The only thing that has ever been suggested to me is that my tourqe converter may be snapping into action so hard, that the belt may be stretching to the point of snapping before it gets the chance to start rotating. But, we haven't found any clear evidence of that, being that there is no real way to test and detect that with the human eye.

#6 ·
I run gatorbacks on all of my cars, they have been great - and quiet. I installed a 1 size shorter GB on my AC after throwing the stock belt and it hasn't come off since. And no issues with slippage on my supercharger. I highly recommend them. Like said above look for pulley issues. Something must be misaligned.

#8 ·
Also, I'm just not outputting enough tourqe to make that happen.

#9 ·
This is a somewhat common issue. Check and see if the balancer is wobbly. If it is that could be the problem, some have needed it replaced. This has happened to others that were totally stock.

The belt is most likely comming off and then getting shredded. I replaced mine with a slightly shorter than stock GB part # 4040425. There is also an upgraded pulley solution available for this issue.

#10 ·
This is a somewhat common issue. Check and see if the balancer is wobbly. If it is that could be the problem, some have needed it replaced. This has happened to others that were totally stock.

The belt is most likely comming off and then getting shredded. I replaced mine with a slightly shorter than stock GB part # 4040425. There is also an upgraded pulley solution available for this issue.

I've been toying with the idea of the upgraded pulley as of late. Will definitely try the shorter belt though. Thank you for the advice!

#11 ·
Post some pics after the belt snapping of the breaking point.

Have you noticed the driving condition just prior to when they snap?

I have been using GB belts for over 10 years, for both drive and timing belts and have never had an issue with any car after installed. I cant even recall the last one that actually wore out or started cracking...

#12 ·
Post some pics after the belt snapping of the breaking point.

Have you noticed the driving condition just prior to when they snap?

I have been using GB belts for over 10 years, for both drive and timing belts and have never had an issue with any car after installed. I cant even recall the last one that actually wore out or started cracking...
It's a clean pull and snap. Happened only those few times at launch.

#16 ·
Update!

Turns out that, since I started using the shorter belt, it has not been happening at all. I've been dogging it out at PBIR and having no problems at all. You're a lifesaver, Norm, thank you for the advice and part#.

#17 ·
Thank you everyone else for the insightful advice you gave, also. I very much appreciate the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.