DIY: Glove Box Removal and Repair (With Pics) - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Technical Articles & DIY

Technical Articles & DIY Information only forum, no general posting

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
mikemaj82

Default DIY: Glove Box Removal and Repair (With Pics)

I finally had enough of my glove box door randomly falling down, especially going over hard bumps. It got so bad that the piece on the right side that stops the door from completely falling out cracked off, putting all the stress of the door on just the piece on the left side. So I ripped out the box and found the problem.

There are two pins that the door swings on, and apparently, there is some play room in there that allows the door to shift left and right. If it shifts too far to one side, the clip that holds the glove box in place will actually slide right out of the hole, causing the door to drop open. I fixed this problem by putting two rubber washers on each side, and slipping the pin through them to give it less play. I will let the pictures do the talking:

Here is the left side:

The right side:

And here is the clip that opens when you pull the handle. If the door shifts too much to one side while driving, the clip will just slip through its hole and the door will open by itself

After two years, problem finally solved! lol

On a side note, does anyone know that this weird cylinder-thing is with a string coming out of it on the side of the glove box? You can actually pull the string, but I'm afraid to pull it all the way lol. On GMPartsDirect it's called an Assist Cylinder. But what the heck does it do?

Discussion threads are located here:
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57138
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49717
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
courtroom19

Quote:

On a side note, does anyone know that this weird cylinder-thing is with a string coming out of it on the side of the glove box? You can actually pull the string, but I'm afraid to pull it all the way lol. On GMPartsDirect it's called an Assist Cylinder. But what the heck does it do?

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
Assist cylinder, I don't know for sure, but I bet it is to slow the glovebox as it opens. The cord must attach to something fixed behind the door.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
PONY MAN

Here's my fix and it's basically three washers (two-top one-bottom), two spacers (nylon) all held together by a nut and bolt.

Here's the shopping list:
1 - 1/4 - 20 x 1 1/2 bolt
1 - nut
2 - .45 X .325 X 27/64 nylon spacers
3 - metal washers

TOP to BOTTOM (purpose)

Bolt
Metal washer (increase surface area and decrease likelihood of string breaking or coming loose)
String from assist cylinder
Metal washer
(increase surface area of nylon spacers and prevent from coming apart)
Nylon spacers (1. Simulate the original plastic piece in relation to the distance it protruded outside the glove box. 2. Not place undue stress on the assist cylinder nor other plastic components, possibly resulting in premature failure.
Metal washer (same as above)
Nut ( placed inside glove compartment)

Works like a charm and perhaps I'll purchase the necessary hardware in order to install the glove box light which GM deleted on the 2009 and 2009.5 models in an effort to decrease the weight of the vehicle.

Dangit, I've got to learn how to re-size pictures. LOL

In order to remove the glove box, you'll have to remove a total of seven screws. There are three screws along the top edge of the compartment. Two screws located behind caps, one on each side of the front (facing) the vehicle. One cap is located under the trunk release button, and the other is on the right side, you'll see a little slot to insert a flat-head screwdriver. The final two are located at the bottom, one on each side. Also, there is a kick panel that pulls off easily from the bottom of the vehicle. I'd suggest removing this prior to removing the glove box since it's held in place by clips and they could break easily. Fortunately, none of them broke on muah or perhaps it's the touch. Also, pull the glove box towards you as opposed to pulling it straight down in order to avoid damaging the two plastic pins. They're located above each removable cap, at the top. Lastly, the trunk lid release switch wiring harness is held to the vehicle with a plastic clip, you'll see it on your left-hand side once everything is apart. The wire harness is just long enough to allow you to remove the glove box and get your hand behind it in order to disconnect. GL!!!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Dictatorsaurus

Default DIY: Glove Box Removal and Repair (With Pics)

I decided to repair the glove box's broken plastic stop studs and install the rear aux cable while I had everything apart.

To remove the glove box there are 5 screws on the top and 2 screws underneath the compartment.

First remove the top 3 screws.

The remaining 2 top screws can be accessed by removing by the small clip-in covers with a flat head screwdriver.

To reach the lower 2 screws you have to remove the lower kick panel. Simply pull it down and set it aside.

The trunk button harness can be removed from behind the button, the main white harness in the back can be removed by pushing the tab with a flat head screwdriver then popping out the connector.

Since the 2 plastic studs that stop the box from dropping low were broken, I decided to use metal screws. I inserted the screws into clear plastic tubing I had laying around to better distribute the weight on the screws and prevent them from digging into the stop section.

For the right side, I looped the thread from the cylinder around the metal screw. That way the cover opens slow and smooth, rather than just dropping.

The part of the screws sticking out from inside the glove box were covered with electric splicing tape to avoid injury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement