Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Looky what I found on Ebay.

20K views 184 replies 47 participants last post by  metaphysics 
#1 · (Edited)
#34 ·
Genuine or knockoffs your money

Do what ever you want with your money, but real or not if you like them get them - but just remember when others ask you if their HSV? NO replicas.

Just like this - two Rolex watches both work the same in telling time, both have the flashy goods, and look very similar but which which one would you rather have on your arm. The fake one may last a lifetime and even if its half the price you'll always know its not real and wish you had the real thing.

Attachments

#35 ·
Do what ever you want with your money, but real or not if you like them get them - but just remember when others ask you if their HSV? NO replicas.

Just like this - two Rolex watches both work the same in telling time, both have the flashy goods, and look very similar but which which one would you rather have on your arm. The fake one may last a lifetime and even if its half the price you'll always know its not real and wish you had the real thing.
Lol. I see your point, but I'm not sure that's an apples to apples comparison. These are just wheels and I'm not sure they carry the same level of prestige as a Rolex watch.

I think everyone has to place their own value on what is it worth to own the genuine article. If consumers feel the genuine item is priced beyond what is reasonable for other similar products, then there will be a market for reproduction items. The big issue here in the US is the whole "forbidden fruit" thing. Genuine HSV wheels are extremely difficult and costly to obtain here, while genuine Rolex watches (while still costly) are at least obtainable through Rolex retailers.

There's been a long, pent-up demand for the HSV wheels here in the US. If you can buy a wheel that meets or exceeds the genuine article in testing and/or load standards, I'd consider that a bonus. I'd buy the replica, spend the difference on other mods and not have a moment's regret.

#38 ·
This AND just think the money you save means MORE mods! :driving: LOL!

I'll never knock anyone who insists upon getting real HSV parts but on the flip side I see no reason to knock the replicas either for those who like the HSV stuff but maybe don't have $4000 for a set of wheels.

#40 ·
I am THIS close to pulling the trigger on some pentagons in staggered fitment...

#41 ·
The black ones are my favorite, when I decide I need new wheels this is the route I'm going. Wont be any time soon though. My factory 19's are doing just fine

#45 ·
Like i said earlier, there were some replica HSV wheels made in Russia and some in China and some in Taiwan. I have seen several photos of some of the wheels cracking from normal use.

The silver/black ones I had were made by the same Taiwanese company that makes OEM VW wheels and I never had any problems with them. I got mine from Wheelworx-au.

The wheels posted on Ebay may be just fine but I would not buy any until I knew who made them and checked out the quality. Not trying to rain on anybody's parade. Some of the replica wheels are great. Just be careful and don't jump in blindly.

This photo is one of the Russian wheels that a certain "crazy" friend from australia posted a couple years ago. They were impossible to balance and rims and spokes were cracking.

Attachments

#46 ·
Duly noted. And as mentioned several posts before, these replicas are made in a factory that also produces OEM wheels for the likes of Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc. They are VIA and JWL certified (same as most OEM wheels). Also, as mentioned before, these wheels carry a higher load rating than the OEM HSV wheels. Quality is assured and the seller offers 100% customer satisfaction.

For the record, I have met the chap who sold those Russian wheels and he got out of the HSV replica business 2 years ago after getting slapped with a lawsuit from HSV. FWIW, I have done months of research on this subject (including 2 trips to China to visit and inspect the factory) and have not simply cut and paste stuff from other websites by "crazy" posters with hidden agendas.

Would it shock you to know that one of the websites actually posts a picture of a cracked, genuine HSV wheel claiming it's a replica? Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

#50 ·
Glugo has been patient to answer all of my questions and mentioned the 9.5's wont fit on the front of our cars. I'm certain he knows better than I do, but I could sworn that I've seen people running a 20x9.5 wheel on the front with other wheels. Is the offset too high, too close to the suspension? I really want to run a wider wheel on the front but still like these even if we can only do the 8's on the front.

#52 ·
freezer41, I believe the Pentagons do come in the 9.5, only in the rears though. I'm thinking of these myself. G8V8, what did you do with your Aussie rims since you have the VMRs on the car now? And thanks for asking the questions I wouldn't know to ask.

#68 · (Edited)
Brad, they are all in a warehouse. However, every style is on display at Scotty's Tire in Kenner on Williams Blvd. and you can buy them there as well, and he will honor the eBay price.

By the way, I don't know if you remember me, but I had the red G8 next to yours at the Brian Harris car show a few years back.

#70 ·
I have real HSV wheels, and have a decent chunk in them as I "pieced" a set together. Took forever, and I was planning to refinish them.

I'll keep my comments in reserve for knockoffs etc. It is what it is. But I easily have probably twice what this set costs if i dare add it up.

I will say that your wheels are different than OE.

So it may throw people off showing the G8 show vehicle with the real HSVs on it...my $.02..but then again, maybe 90% won't even notice haha.

#72 ·
I will say that your wheels are different than OE.

So it may throw people off showing the G8 show vehicle with the real HSVs on it...my $.02..but then again, maybe 90% won't even notice haha.
Point taken. The current eBay listing for VE GTS is for the Black with Machined Face finish, which is different slightly in appearance than the OE HSV wheel. We do also have the Hyperblack finish, which is identical to the OE wheel (see pictures of red G8 above).

The listing has been corrected to clarify the difference. Thanks.

#74 ·
1,000 wheels (250 cars) right off the bat, and then another 1,000 wheels in the first year, so 500 cars in the first year. That is what the factory requires per mold. If you wanted staggered fitment, that's two molds, so double the numbers above.

See what I mean? Not sure if there's that much demand for the W427 wheel here in the US if there wasn't enough to justify doing it in Australia.

#75 ·
I didn't doubt you, man. That IS quite a few wheels of one design. LOL

I guess the argument on that one would be Exclusivity vs Saturation. I really appreciate you giving that info though. Puts it into perspective.

#76 ·
Lol. Yep, Exclusivity = $$$$$$$$!

That's why low volume wheels are so expensive.

And I wasn't even including the cost of the mold, which is about $15,000. So, the first several hundred you are selling at a loss. Two molds for staggered, well, you get the idea. You have to be confident you can pass the break even point (and then some, because you actually want to make a profit!).

Don't get me wrong, I love the design, personally. The question is, can a business case be made for this wheel at the same price point as the other HSV replicas? I say, get 499 of your closest friends and organize a "group buy," lol!

#82 ·
sharp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.