Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Got Beat by a Focus ST

8K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  Blitz 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I was cruising on the E Way last night and I see a yellow blob looking thing in my rear view coming fast. Guy pulls up next to me and it was a Brand new Focus ST This guy had it modded. We honk 3 times at a roll around 50 MPH and he just took off Couldn't even catch him. So I followed him off the off ramp he gave me the thumbs up and he says follow me into the parking lot He was actually a cool guy and not a Prick! He gave me a test drive. And its actually a pretty cool car with lots of features. He popped the hood and he told me He put in a bigger turbo, BOV, and exhaust and heads. This thing was quick!

#3 ·
Criminey, those things just hit the streets here and he's gone nuts on it already?!

#5 ·
Saw one at my tuners shop the other day. He put down 330/360 with a tune and a 40 shot. Wicked little car! No shame OP!

#6 ·
I think the Focus ST may be one of if not THE best bang for the buck sporty car out there. They get decent mileage too (although I doubt one that heavily modded does) - I miss driving stick I could see myself rocking one of these w/ a nice small car payment too! They do have a lot of nice features too

#8 ·
Sorry not trying to start nothing, but I think they are one of the top 5 ugliest cars on the road IMO... I don't care if it had 1000 hp I would not drive one! And props for letting us know you lost! No big deal, mod some more I guess and win next time!

#14 ·
sigghhh... no offense, but guys like you are why Europe always gets the coolest niche cars and the US typically gets shafted, or when they do bring a euro-spec car over here it's neutered...welp, not this time and I applaud it.

Yes, it's a NEAR $30,000 car when fully decked out w/ leather recaros, myford touch, navi, sunroof, blah blah blah but the base price for the power and the 6 speed manual and the souped up suspension etc. is just under $24,000 - what is it supposed to cost, $10,000?

And the WRX STi is "just an impreza"

And the GXP right now is "Just a freakin cop car" ($40,000 one)

A C63amg is "JUST a lowly bottom of the rung C-class"

Taking a solid chassis and design as a base and being able to build multiple models off of it efficiently is what enables car companies to bring us such cool examples of typically ordinary cars. It baffles me when a car company makes such an awesome ride, makes it affordable, gives it tons of power/torque (comparatively) while getting good MPG, and throw a manual tranny and the ability to tweak the crap outta the engine w/ just a tune!!!!

#11 ·
While I definitely subscribe to the addage "I'd rather push a Chevy (or Holden I guess) than drive a Ford", I also think it's really cool that he pulled over and wanted to shoot the breeze.

I bought my GT because I love the looks, the styling, and the fact that it's a responsible 4 door family sedan. I also realize that some may look at it and say "who would want one of those". Since I've caught the mod bug, I know find myself looking at all sorts of cars (Subarus, VW's, Cobalt SS's, and yes even the occasional Civic) and admiring the time, effort, and care that the owners have put in to them.

#13 ·
Thats amazing I knew those car were going to be nuts, but not that much. Wonder if Ford UK will let the American market get it's hands on the RS version as well.

#18 ·
I typically hate FWD setups, but this one is an exception. It may not be much of a 0-60 car due to traction issues, but it looks like they're hell on a freeway. It's factory-governed at 154 MPH, right? Respectable loss OP

#22 ·
From all that I've read on it they've done some trickery in the front suspension coupled w/ computer assisted braking to all but eliminate torque steer.

For the guys still nitpicking the car's price because its a "hatchback" - what is so wrong w/ that? Not everyone needs/wants a big old fat pig of a car. Does the G8 get 32 mpg? NO. Want to talk options that come along w/ that price? Does the G8 have HID's?, recaro seats? Heated mirrors? Navigation? Bluetooth (a few do not all), A Rear 12v powerpoint? NOPE - can't believe that in such a big car., Push button start? Nope. Voice activation? Nope. All 4 windows 1 touch up and down? NOPE. How about a damn rear dome light you can turn on or off w/o ALL the lights going on? NOPE.

Some of these things seem mundane, but the G8 doesn't have 'em. Sure the G8 is bigger and more powerful, but except for 1/2 the GXP's you can't get a stick. Some of this is preference, but you weigh up ALLLLL the extras that the Focus has and still comes in under $30,000 and weighs in around 3,200 lbs, has 252hp and 270tq and gets 32mpg - that's a great deal if you ask me.

Oh and take a look at the interior....our G8's don't hold a candle.

Listen I love my G8 GT and when I bought it, it was one of the best if not the best bang for the buck performance cars on the market all things considered. Well, that's not the case anymore - 4-5 years later and there's new stuff on the market and to sit here blindly and act like this pocket rocket isn't one hell of a deal is just ignorant. I like cars PERIOD. And this one is pretty damn cool all things considered. And really think about all those extras this thing comes w/ that would make it a very good DD.

#21 ·
Its at least a 25k dollar compact hatchback BEFORE he put all that cash in it. Can't say I can get down with that.

But I guess he's happy with it and thats what matters since he's the one paying for it.

#23 ·
^agree, ....
we are not living in 2008 anymore. I love my G8 when I first bought it, but as I learn more about all the probs they come with really puts a sour taste in my mouth. Bad controls arms, harsh ride, lifter ticks, rear main seal leaks etc; My cavalier has 60k miles on it and is 2004 and never had anything major go wrong on it and rides a whole lot better. For a 30k + car I shouldnt have to deal with all that TSB nonsence that I named above. However I keep telling myself that the performance, horsepower, roomy 4 door grocerie getter makes up for all that. If anyone asks me "How do you like those G8s?" I would tell them how I see it.

Onto those Focus's, I cant beleive you actually raced one modded like that, I mean those things just came out! About a month ago I was cruising in my cavalier and approached a day old one, still had paper plate and everything, guy told me he just bought it and we did a couple of runs...I tell you what, If anyone ask me "how fast is your cavalier?" I would say about as fast as a focus ST becuase it was a dead even race! (210 whp, tons of tq. and weighs 2650 lbs)

#29 ·
They dont bring all these badass cars for a reason.... They wont sell. Regardless how incredible the package is, if the numbers dont make sense, it's not gonna make it here.

#30 ·
It has more to do with emissions and US safety regs more than anything else. As so many of the bad-azzed cars over in Europe are smaller, their bumper heights and all that other crap, are totally different. It's very expensive making all the necessary changes to sell them over here.

#31 ·
Safety and emissions are expensive to get compliance for... so while changes can be made to get past these issues, they are indeed expensive and probably dilute the product somewhat. And then again, sales become the issue because those extra costs mean they need to sell more of the product in order for it to make sense.
And frankly hatches, wagons and any other unusual configurations dont sell in the US. We saw that to be true when the G8 wagon and Ute didnt make it over here.
i'm willing to be the wagon version of the new SS doesnt come either even though that looks like it has a good chance of being more than a 3 model year product.

#35 ·
Emissions is probably the biggest reason.

My cousin in Manchester purchased a 3 series BMW sedan new in 05 with a diesel. No diesel BMWs in US at that time. His would do 0-60 under 6 secs and get about 30 mpgs...nothing close to that then over here, barely close to that now. My uncle could get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in his wagon if he tied the door shut. only 7 foot long interior. And that was an 02.
For 24K, the ST is cool. It is up there with the BRZ/FRS, only more power and FWD. I would love the BRZ/FRS with 260hp or more. I had a Grand Prix GTP and at almost 300 front wheel HP, it was a torque steering MFr

#36 ·
Oh god you brought up the BRZ/FRS prepare for natives getting restless :The_Villagers:

That was a sore topic for some.

Don't forget though that this Focus ST has a lot more thought planning going into the suspension to reduce or eliminate the torque steer. The suspension is much better than your GTP.

Let's just leave it at, it's a nice little sporty hatchback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.