Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Widened GXP Wheels with 295/30/19 Tires

23K views 101 replies 35 participants last post by  TyG8GXP 
#1 ·
Just got these on.... The stock wheels were widened 1.5" by Weldcraft. The tires are 295/30/19 Hankook Ventus V12 Evos.

Clearance is CLOSE to the innerfender plastic. I went ahead and ordered some .75" spacers to push them out a bit.

See less See more
#2 ·
looks great, congrats. Very slick and this is exactly what I was going to do had I not gone the aftermarket route...

#19 ·
Yep, I had them balanced already, and they balanced out great. Only needed 1 oz. per wheel, which is actually less than the stock wheel/tire!

Here are a few pics of the wheels.

If you go with spacers you will need to install longer studs. Wheel adapters are much easier. This is my exsperence when I made the mastake of widening two inches with 285/35/18. I installed 1 1/4 adapters and they still rub with passengers when I hid a dip in the road. But they look great.
I wasn't clear, I did order adapters, not spacers.

#16 ·
Looks awesome! I'm getting jealous with what everyone is doing, need to decide on a set of wheels soon! We need to organize a meet as soon as it warms up.

#17 ·
Very nice!

I see way too many guys on here with narrower tires stretched over wider rims (where the wheel lip extends further than the tire). You got it perfect!

#18 ·
If you go with spacers you will need to install longer studs. Wheel adapters are much easier. This is my exsperence when I made the mastake of widening two inches with 285/35/18. I installed 1 1/4 adapters and they still rub with passengers when I hid a dip in the road. But they look great.

#20 ·
Good job on the adapters! My wheels were almost perfectly balanced straight from WeldCraft.

#21 ·
Will you have any clearence issues on the fender with the spacers?

#23 ·
looks good! looks like they did a good job. also, nice shot on that first pic..

#25 ·
On the GT, I've got 19's +1.5" running a 10mm spacer and no issues with 285 DWS's. Hopefully you'll be good. If not, I know a guy with a fender roller.

Are you using stock studs with 10mm spacer?

#29 ·
Using longer wheel studs with the 10mm spacer.

Don't know if he's any good with it or not. I believe Lethal427 (jj) borrowed it to do his.

Was it a pain to remove the stock studs and install the extended studs? I have read other guys saying it is quite a bitch using adapters because there is clearancing that needs to be done to make the adapters work. So I'm trying to determine which route (spacer or adapter) is less involved.

#30 ·
The gentleman that I purchased the car from had already done this. I don't imagine that changing the studs would be all that involved. I think the biggest decision between spacers and adapters would be the thickness you are looking at.

#31 ·
The adapter is less involved. I bought and returned the studs to Summit because you need a special tool to remove the parking break and the only studs I could fined were a mile long. The adapter was as easy as 1,2,3 but when I have passingers in the car and hit a dip in the road I get a slight rub. Not sure if it is the adapter or I widend the rims to much (2"). Should of only gone 1 1/2". Hear is my tire size 285/35/18. good luck

#36 ·
The adapter is less involved. I bought and returned the studs to Summit because you need a special tool to remove the parking break and the only studs I could fined were a mile long. The adapter was as easy as 1,2,3 but when I have passingers in the car and hit a dip in the road I get a slight rub. Not sure if it is the adapter or I widend the rims to much (2"). Should of only gone 1 1/2". Hear is my tire size 285/35/18. good luck
What brand adapter are you using at what was the thickness? I am considering going with these guys (for both front and rear?):

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_adapters.html

Even though I've read another member used them and had to do some clearancing work on the backface of the wheel, I really like the idea of the adapter being both wheel and hub-centric. I am thinking of going with 19mm (.75").

#32 ·
Looks great, I'm considering doing the same. Please let us know if there's any rubbing with the adapters. As far as I've read in other posts, widened and with an adapter there should be no concern for rubbing at stock height.

I believe someone lowered had stated there was no rubbing except on large dips and bumps, so fender rolling would be advised in a rough/hilly area. Most can be rented online from someone for about $50 for DIYers. It's really easy and safe as long as you take it slow and better with a heat gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.