Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Camaro vs G8? Differences?

26K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  BigRed585Lbs 
#1 ·
I read that the V8 G8's are 50 lbs heavier than my L99 (auto) 2010 Camaro SS.

G8 has a 2.xx rear gear but the tire are 26 or 27 inches tall?

My Camaro has a 3.27 but 28.5 tall tires.

6.0 vs 6.2, but is there a big difference in HP, what does a G8 run bone stock?

Any other differences?

#2 · (Edited)
The G8 has 4 doors!

Hopefully thou knew that tho

The HP difference is about 40HP (not sure on torque..G8 was rated at 385 I believe...not sure on camaro w/ L99).

What does a stock auto camaro dyno at? Most G8s dyno around 300 rwhp stock (+-10).

I read a lot of stock L99 camaros dynoing around 320rwhp and sum as low as the 290s and some as high as 340s. Didn't look into that to much however.

I believe a bone stock G8 is typically high 13s 1/4.

Weight is fairly close. I believe the camaro has FE3 suspeanion but I don't know much about that.

#4 ·
L76 does not have VVT but does have a smaller cam than the L99. Cylinder heads are pretty similar. Put the same cam in them and the hp difference diminishes...of course the L99 has 12 more cubes so it's going to make a little more hp and torque.

G8 GT differential is a 2.92.

The best my G8 GT ran totally stock was a 13.67.

#5 ·
I dynoed 315rwhp stock (368rwhp bolt-ons before converter), and I've heard of L99's averaging 320rwhp.

I went 13.15@106.7 1.95 last April took me about 20 tries.

Are the Camaro and G8 diffs the same size, same axles?

#8 ·
100% true Troy. They drive like they are heavier than our car. If I remember right, real world weight the G8 is a little lighter. And the big difference between the two, is how much better looking the G8 is. Everyone has Camaros. Me too cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
If a 5th gen is dog so is it's 4 door Poncho brother. :)

I'm not picking on G8's I really never knew much about them.

Have any G8's run 11.9's stock internal with bolt-ons? I can't find a list.

#13 ·
Bolt on record for the g8 is 11.95...

Cam only record is 11.45

Cam and heads record is 11.31

The list is stickied in the drag racing section of the forum. Any time you want to line up your 5th gen with its poncho brother just let me know, id be happy to put a bus length on you in the 1320. Nothing but a baby cam and 2600 stall here....

#10 · (Edited)
The G8 GXP has an LS3, 3.27 gears, a more aggressive cam, mine weighs in at 4250 with me and the two car seats. Rated HP is 415. Rated 1/4 mile =13.0.
When racing a Gen 5, the GXP is the one out front. I like the Camaro, but there are so many of them out on the road now days.

#11 ·
Those are nice, I've only seen one in the last couple months.

How tall are the tires on the G8's? So the Camaro and G8 wheels completely interchange?

#12 ·
Offset is different on the wheels and obviously you run taller tires but camaro 20"s are run all day on g8's and IMO fit the style of the g8 better.

#14 ·
Troy, thanks for the list link I love those and thanks for the info on the car.

As for the challenge, sure, if I win you have to shave your head and I'll bring the clippers. :)

#29 ·
:iagree: The camaro forums are a BUST unfortunately. That has been one huge drawback for me since I picked up my Gen 5. HOWEVER, in the spirit of keeping a rare vehicle I at least opted for a rare color (823/3903 Aqua Blue Metallic). Still plan on getting another G8 one day though. This time I'm going big though, GXP or nothing!

#26 ·
You got the 7 and 6 switched up.

All G8 tires are 26.7" OD.

Wheel weight probably has quite a bit to do with the Camaro feeling slow. Rotational mass is a very bad thing, and the Camaro is slinging quite a bit more around per corner than us.

#20 ·
Like they said, the 5.0 weighs roughly 600lbs less than a G8, is more powerful from the factory and tends to have much better gearing. The G8 can definitely hold it's own, ask Troy about the 650whp supercharged 5.0.

Also I'd like to be a witness to OP and Troy racing lol. I'll tag along, but I know I'll lose for now. Can't wait to get some extra cash.

On a side note wait for the 2015 Mustang, supposed to be more powerful and even lighter, I may have to trade up lol.

#22 ·
It's nice to see G8, Camaro, and Mustang guys all playing well together here :)

On paper, the L99 Camaro should be the faster car. In reality, a stock G8 GT and a stock L99 car are pretty damn close. The G8 GT got lazy 2.92 gears, but makes up for it with an inch shorter tire than the Camaro. The 6L80 gear ratios really help out. Throw a set of 3.27's in an otherwise stock G8, and the Camaro might be seeing tail lights. Both the 6.0L and the 6.2L respond very well to mods. Nicely enough, as the Camaro has evolved, more parts have become available for the G8. Most of the suspension is interchangeable, rear diffs are cheap, and many other parts can be used on the G8 with minimal changes. I like that fact that I don't see a million and five other G8s every day though :)

#27 ·
Ive raced a few m6 5th gens with full bolt ons, and my car is typically quicker. I do believe gearing has a lot to do with it though. The gxp m6 is just geared better than a 5th gen m6 with big 20s on it.

#28 ·
Power to weight ratios favor the Camaro, but I think Stageup is right about the gears and 20's. :iagree:

I believe the accurate PTWR are:
GT - 11.3
GXP - 9.8
SS - 9.1

Although, that data becomes useless for all of us who like to add performance parts...

#31 ·
Well worth the pursuit. It's awesome when you can pull onto a Chevy lot where the sales guys see Camaros day in and day out and you can still catch all of the sales guys up against the windows trying to check out your Camaro. Caught one today mouthing "Wow" real big when I drove up.

#33 ·
That looks awesome! If I had to have a different one than the ABM it would have been a CGM with black stripes like you have.

This one is mine...

Attachments

#35 ·
Awesome, that's cool you posted the slip and more info on the car I was wondering. So that was with 3.45's out back and how tall of a tire?

#36 · (Edited)
Yes 3.45 camaro SS & a 3600 stall
26" M/T DRs on 18 stock rims
That record was a perfect day perfect track conditions with perfect shifts.
Now that I put a monster cam and up graded with double valves I am running 28" M &H tires with 17" DP along with the new 3.91 rear and I finally replaced the crappy stock rear suspension that were twisted like rifling in a barrel with Spoon racing and replaced all of the stock what was left of them rear bushings with BMR I am hoping to hit 11.30 with a 1.5? 60'
Then if I get the cash in time get my heads mill 30, ported and polished. Port my fast then my goal I'm aiming for is 10.99 NA yes an almost impossible task.
But last year at this time everyone told me no way a stock bolt on would ever hit the 11s and I did. If not then time to full the bottle up and spray spray spray

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Darlington. SC 4-21-13
1.72 60' 11.51 1/4 ml. 120.11 mph
Something WICKED this way comes
Stock bolt on G8 GT record MIR 11/17/12 1/4 ml. 1.66 60' 11.95 @ 112.5MPH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6fl0S3AjGc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#39 ·
Yeah very impressed with Chris' car.

I have run a new best (12.08 stock internal), almost in the 11's with 18x9.5's front and back and all the seats in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.