Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Need help - anyone doing an oil change?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bracketracer 
#1 ·
Long story, but thanks to a custom home build that went waayyy over schedule, I didn't have a garage to change my oil in for nearly a year and had to let the dealer change it 2x - something I have never done in 35 years of car ownership aside from occasionally getting lazy about the Wife's transportation appliances.

So, yesterday, I'm back to changing it myself on the GXP, and I happened to have a fluorescent trouble light with me under the car shining right at the drain hole. I noticed something I have never seen before - what appears to be a steel Helicoil-type insert in the drain plug opening! It was recessed a little back in there, maybe 1/8 in. I should have taken a pic, but my automatic assumption was that the dealer stripped it and didn't want to tell me.

Now, my question for this crew - did the pan have a steel insert in it from the factory that I've just never noticed before b/c it was too dark under there, or did the dealer strip it and repair it? Need to know before I go ballistic on the dealer tomorrow......:slap::cursin:

#2 ·
I'm changing my oil right now and *if* the GT pan is the same, I also see the thread pattern recessed a touch from the surface. When threading the bolt back into the pan, it does have a touch of drag during rotation. Which I guess could mean I'm dealing with a helicoil insert (that sorta has that look to it). I used a magnet to see if those were steel threads, but no joy. But then again, it could be a high grade stainless steel type of insert (non magnetic). My best guess is that they are just aluminum threads cut into the pan, that just happen to give the illusion of a steel insert installed.

#4 ·
And I'm just sitting here jealous that he has a SBM M6 GXP. I've been waiting for one to go up for sale for months but it appears they are truly unicorns. :judge:

#5 ·
There are only 56 Stryker Blue Metallic GXPs in the world. They don't pop up too often, but a few have sold. The Pacific Slate Metallic ones are even more rare. Only 45 of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.