Pontiac G8 Forum banner

what tires came stock from the dealership on a g8?

10K views 74 replies 31 participants last post by  frostopsy 
#1 ·
I am just curious, if you bought your g8 at a dealership in 08' or 09 what brand of tires came on it? do you still have your original tires?

#38 ·
RS-A's have no mileage warranty, RE050A's also have no mileage warranty. RE050A's are meant to be driven into the ground because they're a high performance tire for summer applications thus they have a very short life span. RS-A's are an OEM Goodyear thus no mileage warranty and if you get the one pound heavier RS-A's they're stupid cheap. Two two types of RS-A's on the market a cheap and expensive version. Slightly different outside shoulder designs and one pound difference in weight. Average life span of a No Mileage tire is roughly 25-35K miles depending on how much you care for them sometimes higher if you're really over zealous.

#40 ·
Every tire I have had on a vehicle has always behaved the same in wet weather, you romp on it and it spins freely. I've never had a handling issues period with my G8 running original RS-A's on the front, and expensive RS-A's on the back and this included in the rain at speeds of 80+ mph on the interstate on one occasion to keep up with another vehicle while traveling to a tire sales training session. I normally do not exceed 70 mph period in any weather condition. I have no clue why you claim they have no traction in rain when technically that is accountable for any tire on the market. Same goes for ice tires, even studless snow and ice tires will spin out on ice if you romp on it hard enough or have the tire at a degree of angle where the sipping can not bite physically. Summing it up, I've never had an issue with RS-A's in the rain that includes having both styles.

#42 ·
Are you on 19's or 18's?

#44 ·
Do you know if they were mounted correctly?

#47 ·
I asked a valid question because I sell tires. I see all the time, asymetrical tires mounted backwards. I see directional tires on the wrong side constantly. So thats why I asked, most Goodyear car tires are asymetrical and people don't know that. I already told you shoulder pattern on the outside is different.

Second I AM GOING TO STATE THIS AGAIN. Bridgestone RE050A's are not an all season. They are a max performance summer only tire. They are designed to be ran hard, used and abused, beaten senseless... etc... Don't complain they do not last long, theyre not an all season tire.

#49 ·
I asked a valid question because I sell tires. I see all the time, asymetrical tires mounted backwards. I see directional tires on the wrong side constantly. So thats why I asked, most Goodyear car tires are asymetrical and people don't know that. I already told you shoulder pattern on the outside is different.

Second I AM GOING TO STATE THIS AGAIN. Bridgestone RE050A's are not an all season. They are a max performance summer only tire. They are designed to be ran hard, used and abused, beaten senseless... etc... Don't complain they do not last long, theyre not an all season tire.
I don't have RE050A's nor due I care about them. I have Goodyear RS-A's, possibly the worst tire ever made. I am looking to replace them as soon as possible. Any suggestions ???

#50 ·
You won't find much in stock that is ''Descent" its either low or no mileage warranty. I'm going with Bridgestone RE0760 Sports or RE050A's for summer and picking up two more Nittos for winter. I hate Goodyear with a passion because of their flimsy sidewalls but at the same time I can not complain really about noise and or traction issues with the RS-A's I have had on my Pontiac. They were descent in the snow and fair on the ice, rain no traction problems, noise nothing too huge due to how well sound insulated our cabins are. You're pretty much going to have to try and see what you like. We have a sport size, touring tires are practically non-existant unless you're daring enough to try Goodyears Assurance Comfort Touring which is stupid expensive and offers a 70k treadwear warranty that I can guarantee you won't see. You'll be lucky to get 55K miles on them.

#51 ·
Thanks to global warming / climate change / end of days or whatever. Our winters here have been quite mild over the last decade. I was thinking about a set of dedicated snows and dedicated summers but now I'm thinking outside the box. My track days are about done, so summer tires that turn into trycycle tires when it gets cold would not be a good investment. So I have turned my attention to the Ultra performance all-season category so I can just leave them on all year. The frontrunner right now is Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105. Good price, good reviews (from G8GT bros) and they look good. Got any feedback ??? Think we'll agree to disagree about the RS-A's. That ship has sailed.

#52 ·
I don't sell Hankooks much except to people with Caddy's or Buicks looking for any remaining White Walls especially on the last gen Caprices. I've lost much flavor for directional tires since General killed the Exclaim UPH which were the best directionals and longest lasting I had on my Focus. I hear the G-Max holds the torch well to it. Best advice I can offer is give them a shot. What's there to lose out of the matter. I'm going for more Holden Appearances with my V6 and RS-A's are not on that list. I have gotten massive amounts of feedback and customers telling me I was right that Kumho's Escta LX Platinum is a pretty good tire as well and suited them nicely. So I will throw that one out as well. I will advise greatly to also stay away from Nexen Tires, their sidewalls are beyond spongy and you will always look like you've got flat tires.

#54 ·
Never had a problem with Kumho Tires. Only two Kumhos I do not sell, the Solus KH16 and the KH24. They are a great tire.

#57 ·
That's funny.

#59 ·
Bought the car second hand, and I first replaced tires to what they'd come from oem, RE050 (18", found them in RunFlats) .. tire had excellent grip on dry, but horrible wet grip, and unbearable harsh ride comfort (I know I know ... mostly coz RF). When i went to 19", I put PilotSport (PS2), like their wet handling.
TreadWear & life, this or that I'd not expect them to last much (actually I change tires around 20k miles)

As for what OEM choose to put on a car line ... I think it's more up to what better deal they get from tire manufacturers (marketing and pricing agreements!)

#61 ·
My 2008 G8 GT Premium (no Sport) came with the Bridgestones on 18" wheels. They lasted for about 30,000 miles. I think the original owner traded it in because the summer only tires were not good in the ONE winter she owned it.

#62 ·
If you watch eBay especially in the winter a lot of G8's go up for sale in the Northern States. People tend to actually be surprised when they realize these cars are RWD then realize that the crappy tires they bought because they're being stupid cheap won't work worth a damn in snow.

#63 ·
I agree. I bought it in February and the sales guy kept trying to tell me how bad it was in the snow because it would just spin when he tried to move it. Summer tires with snow in the parking lot will do that. I don't think he even knew what summer tires were.

#74 ·
Speaking of getting stuck of course last week I threw on my new Potenzas. Well I had been holding off as long as possible because Iowa weather is beyond unpredictable, we'd have three days of 70 degree plus weather then a forty to fifty degree temperature drop and actual snow. It was getting me into a frenzy because driving in 70 degree temps with snow tires is not good for them. I took a chance threw the Potenzas on, first day of snow wasn't bad at all it didn't stick to the ground or the road. Second day we had about an inch of slush not really snow but slush on the road. I decided to chance it and drove to the grocery store, now keep in mind I had quite a bit of weight from groceries in the trunk, I had to rock a coupe times to build enough momentum to get out of the parking lot. I almost didn't drive to work and carpooled with the wife, thankfully by the time I left to go to work the slush was gone. Wife wasn't thrilled I got behind the wheel and drove to work in the G8.

#64 ·
Its a huge headache I deal with. They get mad because I quote them what I have on sale for tires that are all season and the response is "What's cheaper" my usual response is "Summer only tires." People have no idea what cheap tires really are.

#65 ·
Bridgestone's were summer tires and were the stock tire on the 2009 GT. My sticker shows a $150 option for the Goodyear RS-A all season tire.

IMHO, the Goodyear lasted like iron as I never rotated the tires and got 55K on the rear and 75K on the original fronts. They were so loud that I actually thought I had a wheel bearing going bad. They were slicker than snot in the rain too. I replaced them with BF Goodrich G-Sport all season radials and only got 45K miles out of two of them, and those two also became noisy as time went on. I replaced two of the Goodriches with Michelin All season and they are quiet and are showing hardly any wear at 15K miles on the front. Can't tell any difference in handling, so it will soon be time to replace the rear and I will go with the same Michelin's as the front, even though they cost more, the comfort and lack of noise are well worth the price difference.

#67 ·
Ordered my RE050A's today, I was shocked when I called the warehouse and they were in stock. Can't wait to put them on when it warms up.

#72 ·
It's not recommended but I run 275/35/19's on the stock wheels on the back without any spacers and no problems. I like the extra traction! You're right, they bulge a little but it's no big deal to me.

#70 ·
You do understand for a few extra bucks when you buy tires from places like Goodyear or Firestone and or where I work at Tires Plus you can get a life time balancing package and not to mention a good price on a lifetime/multi-year alignment thus saving money rather than spending money.

#71 ·
Tire balancing, yes, but I've never heard of a lifetime alignment package being offered with tires. Of course, I buy my tires in the States, so if I do ever need repairs, it would not be convenient for me to have them done at the place of purchase.

Money aside, though, do you really need balancing and aligning that frequently?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.