Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Wipe New - Pics

5K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  pony killer 
#1 ·
I saw this product on TV and wanted to try it. I got a new GXP diffuser for Christmas and couldn't stand the honeycomb on the back diffuser that I decided between the Wipe New and new GXP Diffuser that I shouldn't have to touch the rear diffuser for a few months. While I was at it, I went ahead and treated the front grills.

I will say that the Wipe New goes on super easy but the fumes are pretty strong (like taking a big whiff of rubbing alchohol strong!). I'd highly recommend wearing the supplied gloves and working in a well ventilated area.

Here are a few pics
Before - Lower Passenger Grill
http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/u...t=3&o=6&_suid=1357083600217024176262838711687
After - Lower Passenger Grill
http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/u...rt=3&o=0&_suid=135708348118904046097777284588

Before - Lower Driver Grill
http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/u...t=3&o=5&_suid=1357083553418010479201903348611
After - Lower Driver Grill
http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/u...rt=3&o=1&_suid=135708350914101270395756886265

GXP Diffuser - Before
http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/u...rt=3&o=4&_suid=135708366199408221407798600373
GXP Diffuser - After
http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/u...ort=3&o=3&_suid=13570836785240380610530036309
GXP Diffuser - After/Installed
http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/u...t=3&o=2&_suid=1357083701837040348022195569716

Will follow up with how well this stuff holds up to car washes.
:thumbsup:

See less See more
#4 ·
Let us know how well this stuff holds up over time. I use Adam's In and Out spray about once a month. Very easy.

#5 ·
I forgot to note that the GXP diffuser is brand new. :slap: Hence why there wasn't much difference between the before and after pics with Wipe New.

#6 ·
Can't believe that a trim and molding product could smell so nasty . If you can , try and find a guiana pig to do their headlights. I almost bought it but hesitated

#8 ·
I'm going to do the headlights this weekend. It took all my motivation just to do the :barf: 1 million honeycombs on the upper and lower grill PLUS I had to mod the back bumper by cutting it with a carpet knife to get the GXP diffuser to fit. I'm hoping this stuff works so I don't have to do the front OR rear plastic pieces for a long time!

#7 ·
Sub'd

#9 ·
Gotcha and cool. Hope it works out. If not I believe a member in another thread mentioned Wolfgang or wolf something lol. I'd have to look it up ,but said it was a good product. Good luck with the wipe new

#10 ·
Probably me, I've been using Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant for a long time and love it. A 4oz bottle runs about $20 and a little goes a long way. I buy it on sale or a buy 1 get 1 free to stock up my detailing arsenal.

I use it on my G8 diffuser, wiper cowls and honeycomb grill and 07 Ford Explorer which has a lot of exterior plastic (bumper, roof rack, wheel wells, running boards, etc). Produces a DARK matte shine, beads water like a wax and will last months keeping the plastic or rubber looking new. It's best to protect the plastic trim with a UV blocker now rather than restoring damage to get the dull faded gray look away.

#13 ·
[QUOTE a good product. Good luck with the wipe new

Probably me, I've been using Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant for a long time and love it. [/QUOTE]
Yea ,probably you lol. Which I may just go that route . Especially if it doesn't have a potent smell . Where do you get it from ? Don't plan on getting it til spring but so I know .

#15 ·
I would hesitate using that stuff on headlights. There is no way it can "fix" the headlights. It will just act as a glaze and fill in anything and not actually fix the headlights. I would get a meguairs headlight kit or something similar for the headlights. The Wipe New will not be a permanent headlight fix. There is no way it can fix the defects. It is a filler.

#20 ·
I would hesitate using that stuff on headlights. There is no way it can "fix" the headlights. It will just act as a glaze and fill in anything and not actually fix the headlights. I would get a meguairs headlight kit or something similar for the headlights. The Wipe New will not be a permanent headlight fix. There is no way it can fix the defects. It is a filler.
Used the meguiars heavy duty headlight restore on my son's 2001 Nissan pathfinder headlights and on mine. Definite difference!

#16 ·
I'd be surprised too but even as a filler. If it makes it look good then ok . I've used the kit that has the mini buffing wheel and there is three or four steps to it. I found that particular kind didn't help to much . Think it was 3m product. Unless I used it wrong. I did go by directions.

#17 ·
**********UPDATE**********

Just got back from 1st car wash after applying the wipe new and it looks like it held up "OK". Because of where the exhaust is in relation to the Rear Diffuser, it's basically like having a steam machine back there once the car goes thru the wash so you can see where the Wipe New didn't stay. On the front upper and lower grills, it looks like the day that I put it on there.

To be continued....

#18 ·
Very interesting I might have to try this myself

#19 ·
I've "almost" bought this stuff on TV like 10 times. Thanks for trying it. Curious how it holds up. If it holds up for even a few months or more of daily driving, I'd be happy.

#21 ·
After using "Back to Black" and having it wash off everytime after the 1st wash, I was DONE with that product. It's good if your car is a trailer queen but for DD it's too much maintenance. I took a chance on this Wipe New and so far it has passed the 1st test. NO-------> :bs:

#25 ·
All these products mask the faded finish only for a while.

The best option is showtime trim dye. The stuff is true trim and plastic dye and should be applied using protective gloves.

Showtime truely restored the trim to new appearance. It has been months since I applied it and my side mirrors and bumper trim finish still has the deep dark look.

#27 ·
The best way to fix the headlights is to sand them then use compound/wax to finish them. 3M sells the kit and I've used it many times on my Maxima and even fixed the damage I caused with some glue on my G8 fogs. I got them looking perfect again.

#28 ·
*********Wipe New Follow Up***********

So after approximate 18 car washes and 4 months of Dallas winter (I Know, don't laugh), Wipe New is officially gone. So that's not too bad considering I'd have to use the competitors stuff on there 18X. I'll take that deal!

#29 ·
Sounds good.

I have tried just about every product on the market for rubber/plastic. The best product I have found is Griots Garage Rubber/Vinyl dressing. It gives the plastic a "brand new" satin finish look(non shiny) and it isn't greasy at all.

#30 ·
So after approximate 18 car washes and 4 months of Dallas winter (I Know, don't laugh), Wipe New is officially gone. So that's not too bad considering I'd have to use the competitors stuff on there 18X. I'll take that deal!
Good to hear. I keep looking at it but hadn't bit the Bullet. Maybe next weekend . Have you tried it on any headlights yet.

#33 ·
No, haven't tried it on the headlights. But this stuff actually works. It won't go for 2-3 years but it will last a good 4-5 months. That is actually a win in my book. Unfortunately, it's now time to do it again! Lol!

:whine:

Good to hear. I keep looking at it but hadn't
bit the Bullet. Maybe next weekend . Have you tried it on any headlights yet.

#32 ·
Oh and for the flexhose. Don't bother. It has cheap plastic ends that either don't thread properly or leaks on one end.
Im sure there are a few trim and molding products out there that do a good job. To each their own.

#34 ·
That's not a bad deal at all, if your car isn't your daily driver then it'd probably last quite a while. Also if you hand wash your car it might be able to go easy on those areas you applied it to last even longer. Thanks for the follow ups on this product.

#35 ·
Got the wipe new over the weekend. Gonna try it on the headlights of my Pacifica. Love how it says the product is only good for a year ,they say to throw it out and buy a new one. I will post results. Probably this weekend.

#36 ·
I've wondered about that product. Looks like it works decent.

I've used this stuff on my Avalanches for years. Not cheap but not super expensive either. A little goes a long way and it lasts for 6mo+ depending on conditions. Haven't tried it on any of the G8 parts yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.