Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Think I found a deal on a G8. Thoughts

6K views 64 replies 22 participants last post by  strobengh 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market to buy a G8 GT. I found one for $17k but it has 67K+ miles on it. Is this a deal or should I keep looking?

The carfax show's 2 owners. The second owner took the car to the dealership religiously for maintenance, for 58k miles. So I figure it was taken good care of.

I want some opinions before I pull the trigger on this. Help!

#2 ·
There was a 08 GT with 81k for 17k where i got mine from last nite, but i love the sales lady showed me a 09 GT with26k on it and bought that one. They wanted 23k for mine but with my SBM as trade i got her for15k....

#3 ·
It sounds about right, depends on what issues were address while at the dealership. Check to see if the front lower control arms & if the strut mounts have been changed posibble under warranty. Mine havn't been changed yet in 40k, but others have had issues with them and had them changed before 15k. Other than that these cars are bullitt proff for the most, there are several that reported ZERO problems beyond 100k, others have made it to 200k+ with very little issues. If it was taken care of and taking for its normal maintenance then there should be no issues.

Others may chime in on their issues, but havn't had an big issues other than some mods that end up making trouble for me. Good luck in your search, ?color?

#8 ·
I got mine with 72k for 17k it was a great deal. I would have paid 2k more without a second thought for a white one. I would test drive it and see how you like it. I think its a good deal

#15 ·
I got mine with 72k for 17k it was a great deal. I would have paid 2k more without a second thought for a white one. I would test drive it and see how you like it. I think its a good deal
Yeah I've been battling with the color as well. I narrowed it down to black and white but the price for the white one kind of squashed that dilemma

sounds fair, test drive her without the radio on and windows up. Listen for noises and feel for any loose feeling in the steering wheel. Run her up to 90 on the highway and scare the piss out of your salesperson, then ask for another thousand off!
I'll do all that, minus that last thing. :)

that's a good/fair price if the car is clean. good luck!
Thanks brother:)

Nine hours is a long drive for a test drive. Coast to coast seems crazy unless its a firehawk. I had a 300 something mile ride for mine and to test drive it but the deal was that if I got it he'd have to drive it to me . Which worked out do to the paper work and dmv crap. Sounds like a good price if she's been maintained well. Brakes ,tires and an oil change in of itself can add up quick . I had a mechanical buddy go with me to look for those things I may miss. Also if its raining ,it can hide blemishes. I had no choice and had looked at mine on a rainy day . You could make out major scratches but I missed on how bad the paint chips on the front bumper actually where. Another crappy thing is if they warranty it and you have an issue,its a long trip or tow back . Well good luck. Patience is a great virtue . It took around a year for me to get mine .
Thanks for that. My significant other says to wait given the distance and time frame of it all. But I've been wanting the G8 since it came out. I've been driving an Acura RSX, so I'm just done with that little POS and ready for big boy toys! Also I'm a DIY kind of guy so maintenance isn't that big of a deal for me. If the Powertrain goes bad I still have 30K+ miles to play with to get it fixed.

I flew from Cleveland to Delaware to pick up a 2006 Solstice. Test drive was the ride home.
You don't say if its an 08 or 09 but either way. I paid 22k for an 09 with 44k on the clock which was bought and serviced at the same dealer. Got complete service records. I'm completely satisfied. Just make sure all the recall work was done. The rest is common sense. Sounds like a good deal. Good luck. Oh, certified used is a big plus.
It's an '09. If the recall work is not done it's still possible to get the work done, correct?

Seeing as its that far away, somebody from the board might help you out, give it a quick test drive. Get a full report for you, we also know (some from experience) what to look for. Up to you if you want to post a location or pm someone close to it. I'm in VA and willing to look it over if its somewhat close.

Sent from my XT901 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I'm in Maryland myself. The car is in Michigan very close to the Canadian border.

#9 ·
sounds fair, test drive her without the radio on and windows up. Listen for noises and feel for any loose feeling in the steering wheel. Run her up to 90 on the highway and scare the piss out of your salesperson, then ask for another thousand off!

#12 ·
Nine hours is a long drive for a test drive. Coast to coast seems crazy unless its a firehawk. I had a 300 something mile ride for mine and to test drive it but the deal was that if I got it he'd have to drive it to me . Which worked out do to the paper work and dmv crap. Sounds like a good price if she's been maintained well. Brakes ,tires and an oil change in of itself can add up quick . I had a mechanical buddy go with me to look for those things I may miss. Also if its raining ,it can hide blemishes. I had no choice and had looked at mine on a rainy day . You could make out major scratches but I missed on how bad the paint chips on the front bumper actually where. Another crappy thing is if they warranty it and you have an issue,its a long trip or tow back . Well good luck. Patience is a great virtue . It took around a year for me to get mine .

#13 ·
I flew from Cleveland to Delaware to pick up a 2006 Solstice. Test drive was the ride home.
You don't say if its an 08 or 09 but either way. I paid 22k for an 09 with 44k on the clock which was bought and serviced at the same dealer. Got complete service records. I'm completely satisfied. Just make sure all the recall work was done. The rest is common sense. Sounds like a good deal. Good luck. Oh, certified used is a big plus.

#14 ·
Seeing as its that far away, somebody from the board might help you out, give it a quick test drive. Get a full report for you, we also know (some from experience) what to look for. Up to you if you want to post a location or pm someone close to it. I'm in VA and willing to look it over if its somewhat close.

Sent from my XT901 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#16 ·
It's an '09. If the recall work is not done it's still possible to get the work done, correct?

Dealer or private seller ? Take it to a dealer service department manager and have them run the VIN. Tell them you're thinking of buying it and are concerned if the recall work has been performed. They will surely help you in that area. But if they're nice and not to busy they will give you the complete service history of the vehicle. But sometime they're a little tight about that information act thing and will only give you the recall info. I have three recalls called out on my list. I believe that they must fix them if they're not already done. You stated earlier that the car was well maintained. I'd be willing to bet that they were taken care of.

#20 ·
I bought my G8 Gt about a little over a year now and im loving the car even more since the first time i saw it on carmax web site, test drove a g8 not mine cause i want it a metallic grey with sunroof and sport pack but never the less a great car. I paid 24k cause they had to bring the car from another state, at the time it came with 34k miles im 2nd owner .

#28 · (Edited)
Sounds like you're the one being rude to me. I've been working on cars since I've been 14 and have probably forgotten more than you remember about anything automotive. The fact is, is when these cars die, they die. Its not like the old days when you could nurse them home. Recalls, Let see, brake lamps stay on / Pedal sensor needs adjustment. Obviously you don't know dick about your second statement cause every GM vehicle has a 5 year 100,000 mile transferable warranty from the get go. All used cars at a GM dealer with less than 75,000 miles are Certified Used Cars. If you're gonna come at me. Come correct. I was just trying to give the guy some advice. I don't care what you think. I may be new to this forum, but I'm not new to cars.

#32 ·
Transporter welcome to the forum. I'm still new here myself and hope to be official come monday afternoon when i buy the car.
Bob is my boy. He went and test drove the car for me so he has a bit of a personal stake in the buy.
Although I can't speak for him, I don't think he was trying to be rude or come at you. I think he just wanted to know where you were coming from. Also it's all good man. We don't have to take this to a place I don't think it was intended to go.
The remark you made makes sense "there is a seat for everyone", and I would be foolish if I didn't have reservations about a used car that's about to go out of warranty. But given the wealth of information on this site, I think that any problem I run into can be resolved quickly.
And thank your for the well wishes. I will be driving her home real soon :driving::wink2:

#31 ·
Originally Posted by Transporter
I think its money well spent. Oh well, like the used car manager at my dealer says, "theres a seat for everybody". Hope all goes well and you'll be driving her home soon. :driving:
Originally Posted by Bob The Noob
I don't know how you intended that to sound, but it sounds fairly negative and rude.

It's all good Bob, my friend. I took no offense. :wink2:

#34 ·
Transporter....It's all 1's and 0's man, try to relax and not take things so personally. I meant no disrespect nor did I mean to imply you didn't know anything. I was merely questioning some of your statements.

That's all I'm going to say on that matter, and consider it closed.

#35 ·
The "theres a seat for everyone" remark was obviously taken the wrong way by everyone on this thread. It simply means that if he (Lee) chose not to buy the car, I'm sure someone else will, and he would find one elsewhere. Then I wished him good luck on his drive home. How this can be considered rude is beyond me. I stand corrected about the certified car thing. I forgot about the 5 years and clean slate. However, I'm still a firm believer in what GM offers through this. I've bought my last three cars from the same dealer who was formerly a Pontiac dealer, now Buick GMC. I know everyone who works there, am good friends with the owner. In short, they treat me like family. I get tired of hearing people beat down dealers all the time. (free maintenance a crock etc.) I can walk in there and get my oil changed every week if I wanted to and they wouldn't charge me a dime. To bad it would only be conventional oil. You know, the kind designed for the car. Lee, I'm happy for you and really hope you enjoy your new ride as much as I do. I'm glad you have some warranty options available to you. Obviously you know how complicated these cars can be. That is the only reason I suggest you get friendly with your local GM dealer. They are not all as bad as Noob makes them out to be. Noob, maybe a grain of salt was in order for you there. To pick apart my post the way you did is what was rude and as far as I'm concerned, insulted my intelligence. Should've just let it go. I had nothing but good intentions for my post which was intended for Lee. Soup, past is the past. I'll keep it clean. Sorry if I offended anybody.

#36 ·
Dang, thus thread took a wrong turn. Glad to see its all hashed out

So are you planning to go pick this one up?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#43 ·

Keep us posted when you get some time... I'm normally not a fan of the red/onyx interior but it kinda looks good with the white.
It's a change for me because I always have black interior. The red is ok but I eventually want to go with a tan leather seats, like in the '10 camaros.

Congratulation on purchasing the best car will ever own. That's what is nice about the people here, they will help you out by test driving it for you. Nice color combo, just traded my SBM base for a white hot combo like yours. Congrats and Enjoy.

Sent from a Former nucluar missile silo.
Thanks! And Congrats on your new car as well.

Congrats on your purchase. Don't let the mileage worry you one bit - these cars are heavy duty and meant to be driven, if cared for they will last a long time. I'm currently @ 102,000 miles and have zero issues, car dynoed the #'s in my sig @ 98,500 miles on a notoriously stingy local mustang dyno.

That is a great color combo by the way, I wish I had the red/black combo interior as the black on black on black tends to get dreary over time.

Good luck!
I originally wanted black and I was going to put bronze wheels on it with bronze bathurst stripes and tan seats. The murdered out look does get a bit dull sometimes. But it's nice to see every once in a while. :)

Details... Details... Did ya cut her loose on the way home ? How many times in triple digits ? I know you couldn't resist. She looks sweet !!! Considering that most are black (V8's) or red (V6's). The white looks quite refreshing. Enjoy... Have fun, but don't get caught. Good luck. :burnout:
I cut loose a few time:driving:. No triple digits but I felt that power. Put a big smile on my face! Plus this is my first rear wheel drive car so oversteer scared the sh*t out of me at first. Sucky part of my drive home was driving through the mountain. Started snowing so speed wasn't priority.

It was hard to find a white one that was worth it. I found one close to me but it was in an accident. The other one was in Georgia, but by the time i called to check on it, it was gone. White Hot seems like its as rare as the Stealth Blue Metallic G8's. So this is my Moby Dick.

#40 ·
Congratulation on purchasing the best car will ever own. That's what is nice about the people here, they will help you out by test driving it for you. Nice color combo, just trsded my SBM base for a white hot combo like yours. Congrats and Enjoy.

Sent from a Former nucluar missile silo.

#42 ·
Congratulation on purchasing the best car will ever own.
Details... Details... Did ya cut her loose on the way home ? How many times in triple digits ? I know you couldn't resist. She looks sweet !!! Considering that most are black (V8's) or red (V6's). The white looks quite refreshing. Enjoy... Have fun, but don't get caught. Good luck. :burnout:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.