Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Airbag fault? :(

18K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  sharknice 
#1 ·
Ok this has become very annoying. At totally random times and usually only for a few seconds at a time (then it goes away) this pops up and warning sounds chime. The fact that my traction control is off is totally unrelated as I manually turn it off all the time as I had before this pic was taken. So disregard that. Car had the airbag warranty recall thing done on it a long time ago. Car has 34k on it and this just randomly started. Any clue what I should do or what it is? Car just went out of warranty by 2 months. :(

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the problem. It ended up being a sensor under the passenger seat. My car was just out of the mileage, but less than 3 years old. The dealership replaced the module free under a good faith thing. They had to fill out some extra paperwork to get reimbursed from GM , but I was happy.

#3 ·
It goes thru a complete system check at key turn on, as well as continuously monitoring the SIR system. Can't tell if you get display/chime at key turn, or randomly while driving. But anytime that display/chime is triggered (especially if its always the same circuit), it should have recorded a fault message. If you can get your hands on a code reader that can read the *B labeled* faults, it would then at least allow you to know what might be faulty at times.

#4 ·
I wonder if my autocal will do that? If not my buddy has an OBD2 scanner. Thanks for the responses guys! That gives me some guidance.

#7 ·
I would check all the connections by each seat.. (front outside portion of the seat at the floor....)...I had one loose and it was doing the same... once I clicked it in good.. it worked perfect.... darn thing is so many little things could be bringing up message.. good luck!!

#8 ·
This happens to me as well, but only when its cold out. Never had a single issue with the airbag fault all spring, summer, or fall. I figured the airbag recall fix might have done the trick, but on the first cold (by Florida standards anyway) day of the season Ding!!! airbag fault. Sometimes it goes away after a few seconds, sometimes its with me my whole way to work. I just ignore it if I don't have any passengers. Also, a quick restart sometimes fixes it temporarily. Sometimes...

#11 ·
Same here. I'm convinced it's the driver's side that's the problem. Happens most mornings now (cold here near Toronto) but I never get it when I'm on my way home from work, because the car sits in the heated underground.

Bought the extended GMPP warranty - hope this is covered.

#10 ·
Interesting responses! Thanks guys. Just started doing this and who'd have guessed it, it's cold out too. And original battery. I will check all connections under the seat and go from there....

#12 ·
wasn't this a recall they had? When I bought my G8 they had mentioned there was a new recall for the air bag sensor on the passenger side and they fixed it.

#15 · (Edited)
Found it, thanks Bo. Here's the link for anyone else that wants to see it.
Great write up! You really think that's my problem? Would it help for me to measure volts with it in engineering mode? I'll go out during lunch and measure it and modify this post with results.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63768&highlight=

EDIT:

Key-on = 12 V
While cranking car = 10.5 volts
Once car is running it ramps on up to 14.5 volts within about 3 seconds

#16 ·
My car hasnt had the usual G8 complaints like Ive read like the airbag or steering wheel shake but when I called the dealer on the battery to see about a replacement he asked if I had an airbag fault. I told him no and that the recall had already been done to it and he said sometimes when the battery is going bad it will throw the airbag fault.

#17 ·
Thanks Bo. I might as well go ahead and put a new battery in it anyway. The car was manufactured in August of 2008 and sat on a dealer lot racking up 256 miles until I purchased it as a 2009.1 model in September of 2009. So the battery is just over 4 years old, and 34,200 miles. It very well could be the cause. So I want the Walmart Everstart H7 MAXX 790CCA right?

#21 ·
I'm afraid my battery is okay and this ^^^ is likely my problem. :(
Thanks GM indeed. 34,500 miles and literally only 1 1/2 months out of my warranty.

#23 ·
Man I really hope so!

#24 ·
@JBoogie, I’m sorry to read you’re still experiencing the airbag fault. Have you talked to the dealership since they performed the recall work to see if this is tied in with the recall?

Michelle, GM Customer Service

#28 ·
@Michelle, I called them (Nyle Maxwell in Round Rock Tx) after the work was done and told them i was still getting the fault. They said it was probably a bad part and the repair would be around $800 or so. They didnt even offer to check it out to see what the problem might really be..

#25 ·
Well the dealer told me it threw a B0012 code and that the steering wheel airbag coil needed to be replaced. I didn't mention this in this thread originally, but about 3 months ago (when the car was still in full warranty) the airbag fault showed on the display for about 2-3 seconds then went away and never came back. I figured it was just a brief computer glitch since it never did it again.....until now, 1 1/2 months out of warranty but still under 36,000 miles.

My dealer told me in a very nice way to shove it. $979 to fix!!!
That's a bunch of bull and I am very ticked. I have emailed Michelle to see if there is anything she can do since I am unsure where to go from here.

#26 ·
Are you the original owner of the car? Is the dealer you're going to the dealer you bought it from? I just ask because if so, that's really poor service. I'd consider it poor service that any dealer wouldn't fix such an important safety feature on a car under the miles and only 1.5 months past time. I think safety systems like that should have a longer warranty anyway. How can airbags be out of warranty in 3 years. It seems crazy.

#27 ·
Are you the original owner of the car? Is the dealer you're going to the dealer you bought it from? I just ask because if so, that's really poor service. I'd consider it poor service that any dealer wouldn't fix such an important safety feature on a car under the miles and only 1.5 months past time. I think safety systems like that should have a longer warranty anyway. How can airbags be out of warranty in 3 years. It seems crazy.
As a follow up to this whole thing, I am now VERY pleased at how this is going to turn out. I am the original owner of the car (bought it new), and I e-mailed last night the guy I bought the car from, in Albertville, where I grew up. It's 1 1/2 hours away from me but my parents still live there.
The name of the dealership is Howard Bentley GMC/Buick (used to also list Pontiac in the name). Well he forwards my e-mail to the service manager there and the guy gives me a call this morning.

Super nice guy, and he says that they'll take care of it for me at no expense to me and even give me a loaner car. I was thrilled! Now THAT'S customer service right there. I completely agree with you on the safety system in the vehicle needing to have a longer warranty than 3 years. I'm taking off work today and am going to drive up there and leave it with them.......

#31 ·
Just brought my car home! Not a penny out of pocket. I was very grateful to the dealership.
The said it was the steering wheel airbag coil that was bad, whatever that is.

#33 · (Edited)
I had the airbag fault light for months, i have replaced my battery and had the recall work done as well. I still had the light.
After speaking with Michelle , an appointment was set up at the dealership closest to my home. The wife took the car in to have it checked out. The wife said the technician that looked at the car told her that no problems were found. The airbag fault light now does not come on anymore. The wife was told to come back if the light ever comes back on. We were not charged for the visit.
A big thanks to Michelle for looking into this issue and "motivating" me to get the car checked out again. :D

Edit/Update..
The wife just told me that the fault light was back on.. :(

#34 ·
I have the airbag fault right now, I got mine when I had 39,000 miles on it and owned it since new for 34 months. Since I've been traveling I haven't brought it in to get checked out. I think mine is on the passenger side because the passenger airbag off light stays on even if someone sits in the passenger seat. It makes me very nervous because if I get into an accident will the airbag deploy? I haven't driven around with anyone in the passenger seat for a while because of it.
I haven't brought it to the dealer yet because everyone on these boards says it will cost $900 to fix...that doesn't sound like a very fun Christmas to me.
My last service I had my dealer (where I bought the car) did the recall on the airbag, oil change, transmission filter change, etc. Does it cost to have them check it out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.