Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Mod Ideas

3K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  09V8G8 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 G8 GT and so far all its got done is center resonator delete, x-pipe added, removed mufflers and added straight pipes. I have about $1000 to put into it, What is the best options for power? Thanks

#4 ·
With a $1000 budget, an intake/tune package would be my recommendation.
For the money, it will really change your impression of the car.
If you think you like it then, you'll be showing the first symptoms of the modding virus.
It's not a bug, it's a virus.
You'll be able to stop any time......

#7 ·
I was also thinking intake (Rotofab) and tune. I know Livernois has a good reputation around here but I am 5 minutes driving distance from Tune Time Performance I think I am going to go there for a dyno tune. I love the craziness of the no muffler setup :) Im keeping that same even after headers once I get the money.

#9 ·
Definitely weigh your options on dyno vs mail order. I am not familiar with all dyno tunes but I'd imagine they will charge for each visit. With mail order and I can't speak for all, but I know Pat G will send updates as your modding virus goes deeper. With all the experience Pat has he can hit the tune near perfect on the first try and will tweak it after you send data logs back, can't beat it in my book. I personally outgrew my Cortex tune in 5 months. Granted it was only because I got a great deal on the HFC's but still. Weight the cost benefit of both and see what happens.

Anyway, either way you will be satisfied, happy modding! :driving:

#8 ·
Intake and tune, not sure what your goals are in the end. But depending on if your doing all installs (cam/fi or whatever) yourself id do a pat g tune. Really you cant go wrong either way you go.

Sent from a nuke plant with my S3

#11 ·
Definitely weigh your options on dyno vs mail order. I am not familiar with all dyno tunes but I'd imagine they will charge for each visit. With mail order and I can't speak for all, but I know Pat G will send updates as your modding virus goes deeper. With all the experience Pat has he can hit the tune near perfect on the first try and will tweak it after you send data logs back, can't beat it in my book. I personally outgrew my Cortex tune in 5 months. Granted it was only because I got a great deal on the HFC's but still. Weight the cost benefit of both and see what happens.

Anyway, either way you will be satisfied, happy modding! :driving:
You should consider nitrous too. Only costs like $600
My ultimate goal is Headers, cam, intake tune. Maggie would be awsome too but I have 2.5 year old twins that suck up most my funds :)

I like the idea of the Livernois mail order tune where I can flash back to stock for dealer visits. I guess for now the intake and tune will be interesting enough to drive.

Not a big fan of nitrous, seems like a "cheat" to me, I prefer mods that actually bolt on and always available. Nitrous is a quick and fast hp spike I must admit thought.

#12 ·
$1000...If it is all about going fast? Leave the stock intake better gains else where.

Get headers. Pacesetter if you can get away without cats. Then tune it, poof, $1000 gone.....Might want the stock mufflers back on, it will be loud!

#13 ·
$1000...If it is all about going fast? Leave the stock intake better gains else where.

Get headers. Pacesetter if you can get away without cats. Then tune it, poof, $1000 gone.....Might want the stock mufflers back on, it will be loud!
$1000 will be all used for going fast :) Just put brand new tires on it stereo is done, tints done.

I think I'm going with the Rotofab and Livernois Tune and in about a month go with the slp catted headers or the kooks catted long tubes, I hear Livernois will adjust my tune once I put the headers on.

Im wondering with the intake,headers and livernois tune where about I would be hp/tq numbers and 1/4 mile times? I know every car is different but a "ball park"

#15 ·
SLP headers, YUCK! Go Kooks. SLP would be fine if they didn't screw up the connection flange so bad. The 2 1/4" pipe is almost touching the cat element.

#16 ·
With a RotoFab cai, Kooks 1 7/8 mids and hfc's, MagnaFlow catback and VMS tune I average 12.8 in the 1/4.

#17 ·
Yes, don't forget about Vector when considering a mail order tune. They have been great to work with, free updates all they way to headers and hi-flow cats, 2 different tranny tunes, and I can flash back to stock if necessary. Last time on the dyno it was running a little lean and pulling too much timing at the top end, and they sent me a free update to correct that. Usually less than 24 hrs turn around for update requests.

#19 ·
Okay, I've made a decision! :) Went a little over my $1000 budget and ordered ARH 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers with catted x-pipe all the way back to the mufflers which are the stock ones for now (i thought my straight pipes would have been alittle too loud so they are coming off), Rotofab and it will all be installed and dyno tuned by Tune Time Performance. I cant wait to see the final results :-D

#20 ·
Let me know how it sounds with the stock mufflers on it i was thinking about swithching out the mids for ARH longtubes

#22 ·
I will try to get video up soon as I can. This car made 349hp stock with just tune, Tune Time says its a "factory freak" :)

Congrats on the purchase. I recently did headers and a tune and all I can say is WOW! Enjoy as I know you will. It will be a whole new car after you get that done.
Thank you! I am very excited , I cant imagine the trans shifting like it should and all the added power! :) I think the mod bug got me too good, already in talks for cam with Tune Time :-D

#21 ·
Congrats on the purchase. I recently did headers and a tune and all I can say is WOW! Enjoy as I know you will. It will be a whole new car after you get that done.

#29 ·
Glad to hear you did headers/tune. Headers>Intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.