Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Speaker advice...

12K views 154 replies 28 participants last post by  I12XLR8 
#1 ·
I am looking to start upgrading the speakers in the car. I have done the Bass Mod and Sub Wiring Mod, which improved things greatly, but still find the system lacking a nice clear powerful sound once the volume starts to creep up. My trunk is a often used part of the car so extra sub boxes are not an option.

I have little-to-no sound system knowledge other than the cheap stuff I threw into my cars when I was a kid. I don't mind doing the work but don't really know what I am looking for where equipment is concerned. To keep the options reasonable I would like to spend no more than $1000, preferably as little as possible.

Ideas?

#3 ·
This is a pretty good route to go. Way under the $1000 mark. If your like me and are too lazy and dont want to wire all speakers to an aftermarket amp you can pick up a mono amp for just the rear subs alone. I went this route, also adding 2 12" kickers in the trunk, but thats just me being excessive.

#4 ·
i jus bought the alpine 3ways and components also took out my stock subs and put in 2 8 inch speakers and of course installed two 12' subs. but basically its all straight forward almost any name brand speaker is better than stock maybe we can split of the center speaker sicne u only need one lol

This post has been deleted
#81 ·
Let me put it this way, I just finished putting everything back together last night with the component tweeters in the stock location and the other part in the door. Drove it to work this morning and I didnt think I was in my car. Does that sum it up? LOL

#10 ·
Jackalope, are you running those new speakers off of the stock amp? To hear that just the speakers would make a huge difference would be awesome.

If I have to start installing amps I'll have to track Scorpious down and lock him in a garage with the car, a case of beer and some pizza ;-)

#11 ·
Was looking at Crutchfield for these speakers. Didn't have the 62.9i but do have 62.11i which might work and they're also 2 ohm for our stereo.

#13 ·
The factory amps in the car drive stable into 2 ohms. Unless you want to split your ear drums you really don't need more power. These amps are fully capable of finding every resonance mode that your interior has. I worked on sound deadening the interior from road noise and gained 2 - 4 db of isolation. That's effectively getting the same amount of usable volume for 1/2 the amp power! For normal listening I used to put the radio on volume 8. Now I only need volume level 6.

For sound improvement I put Polk dB651's in the front doors and yanked out the $2 dual cones that came from the factory. I left the back door coaxials alone because all they need to provide is decent mid-bass and they actually hit a little lower than the Polks.

The other thing to do is stop using those cheapass infinite baffle subs on the rear deck. That rear deck vibrates like crazy and muddies the sound. I built a small rock solid box and put two 8" Polk DVC subs in the box. I fire the subs through the passenger opening and I form fitted the box to the opening so that no trunk sound leaks into the passenger compartment. At volume level 23 I can feel my back ribs being pelted by pressure waves from the sub. It's very clean. Anything more powerful might crush kidney stones!

Just remember, that loud doesn't always make a pleasing sound. But accurate sound at a volume level loud enough to get the human ear to its full frequency spectrum does make for a pleasing sound. At volumes louder than that the human ear will automatically lower its sensitivity level to protect itself and keep from overdriving the brain. Look up the physiology of sound and the human ear. There is a lot that most people don't know.

#15 ·
I guess Jackalope beat me to the post. Like him, I am running the Infinity Kappa 62.9s in the front and rear. The sound is awesome and blows away the stock speakers. The center speaker gets louder with the new door speakers. So I bought an Infinity Kappa 32.9 to replace the center and will be using a 6 ohm resistor to tone it down a little. The stock center is junk so the Kappa should really clean it up. I eventually want to replace the subs, but don't want to lose my trunk. So I may end up getting better open air subs.

#16 ·
Hey Blitz. Why not spend the money on your G8 before O"Malley finds a way to spend it for you. The Infinitys do kick ass. Installed mine today and probably dropping in the center tomorrow. And installing a center in Jackalopes car on Monday.

#22 ·
I did see one on evil bay for $10 but what am I going to do with just one? lol

Sure thing Mxman although shipping might negate the savings.

OP, sorry for jacking the thread. Are you any closer to a decision on your speaker choice?

#23 ·
I'm pricing out Infinity Kappas as we speak...then am going to check out the stickied threads to see what other speaker sizes I need to change everything out. Just to do it all at once...

Once I get a price for everything things might change though...

#24 ·
I'd be interested to see what options you come up with. I'm not looking for a competition stereo but if I can make it improve the clarity and "thump" I'm down for reasonable ideas.

#25 · (Edited)
Is the 63.9 the next level up from the 62.9 or are the important differences that would keep me with the 62.9?

Edit: Ok. I guess I should have looked this up before posting ;-( The 62.9 are two way and the 63.9 are three way. I have read that the three ways can give too much treble...suggestions for where to put which ones?

#37 ·
Did you remove the 8's fromy the deck? Thinking about trying this and see if it improves the sound. Also thinking about the Polk DB6501 component kit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#29 ·
Bought the Infinity Kappa 62.9s on Amazon for $78. a pair and the 32.9 from onlinecarstereo for $59.

#31 ·
OK. I can find the 63.9 and 62.9's for under $100 but can find no trace of the 32.9's for the centre that have been mentioned. Help?

Also, can someone help me with defining component and coaxial? Which should I put where? What is the difference? If I put coaxial in the front does that mean I should disable the tweeters as I'm not going the amped sub route?

I'm also having trouble identifying a good quality set of 8" subs that will drop into the rear deck, and if that will make enough difference without an extra amp to be worth the cost.

#38 ·
Relax, breathe, we're here to help. LOL! All 4 doors get the 62.9's the center dash speaker gets 1 32.9 leaving you 1 more you can sell to another member. On the 62.9's you will find a button that changes the input db for the tweeters, for the rears you want the button set to 0 for the fronts you want it set to -3db. IF you get the Infinity speakers this will make sense as soon as you open the box and see the speaker with the little button I'm talking about.

As for not being able to find the 32.9's just do a search for Infinity Kappa 32.9 and page after page comes up.

Did you need a resistor for the 32.9 in the center dash? Or did you just hook it up and run it? If you did use a resistor...please tell us which one/type. I just ordered the 62.9i for all the doors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.