Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Caster Correction Needed?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BMR Sales 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if caster correction is needed when you lower the vehicle? Does anybody know you can get the caster to on a lowered car with stock alignment bolts?

#2 ·
The caster does not change enough to worry about when lowering. They are not ajustable without buying parts anyway. If you want a little more dynamic camber or increased steering resistance and return, then you can get a front caster kit from bmr, pedders, kollar, etc.

#3 ·
Thanks greggy. Do you happen to know what happens when the rubber bushings aren't timed when you lower the car? I'm going to time the front when I get off work & then it's getting lined up today using BMR's specs. Hope everything works out! The car drives fine until about 70 mph then it doesn't seem to track straight, feels like the back end is wandering.? Kind of scary! It drove fine until I added the cradle bushings & lowered it, might just be a bad alignment? I wasn't given any specs on the alignment also my steering wheel is off a little bit & it wasn't before.

#6 ·
You only need to time rubber bushings that were loosened when the wheels were off the ground. If you don't the car may sit high and not ride/handle right.

The rear having toe-out due to lowering is what probably feels weird in the back.
From all the testing we have done here at BMR we have found that people make timing the bushings a much bigger deal then it really is (timing the bushings is super popular with the new Camaro crowd). We have found that there really is no difference in performance when timing the bushings but it does help with the finalized ride height (within .25” or so). The only time you really need to time the bushings is when you are dealing with factory rubber bushings because the inner sleeve doesn’t rotate freely inside the bushing and the rubber bushings deflect so much.

From everything we have talked about through e-mails, PMs, and over the phone I really think the alignment is a bit off which is making the rear end feel like it is wandering. Without knowing the current alignment specs we really can't do anything besides speculate. I would get it over to a reputable alignment shop and throw it up on the alignment rack and see what specs you car is currently aligned at.

#5 ·
It's good practice to time the bushings on a lowered car to extend the life of the bushings

#8 ·
My rear end was toed out slightly. I'm guessing that was what was wrong, won't really know until I get the snow tires off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.