Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Plasti Dipped!

6K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  JTW 
#1 ·
Had these parts dipped for about 3 months now still holding up strong!
Tried the Bathurst stripes

See less See more
#4 ·
Very easy! For the grille inserts put your fingers into it and give it a good tug and they will pop right out and it just spray away and with the trim there are 2 screws one on each end and after those are unscrewed its just a quick tug for the clips to come undone. Took probably 2 minutes to take parts off and maybe an hour for the spray just because I added 4 coats.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

#5 ·
Looks awesome, I love the decepticon sticker.

Sent from a nuclear plant somewhere..

#9 ·
It's really easy to take off the car if you put 4 or more heavy coats the lighter the coat the harder it is to get off because its so thin
And I sprayed the mesh along with the trim and no there is no fade at all so far.

#10 ·
Couple questions for ya:
Where did you paint the hood? I was worried about dust contamination.

Does it wash well? I was wondering about wax, etc.

Shaun

#11 ·
The Bathurst stripes I painted onto the driver side part of the hood.
And it washes good even under high pressure no dirt or dust stays onto it and is not attracted to it much either.
I have not tried waxing the car with it on but I'm sure it would not make a difference.

#12 ·
Sorry cstmg8 I might have read your post wrong on where I sprayed the hood at in other words it was actually outside in my front yard no wind at all just sunshine

#13 ·
Looks great sir. I've been thinking lately about trying me luck on both the door and window trim. Will get around to doing it eventually.

#14 ·
Love the stripe. Looks factory. Great job. Gets me thinking...

#15 ·
Looks amazing....

#16 ·
Thanks, I was wondering about getting dust in the paint during application.

#17 ·
Looks good. I've did my hood scoops a long time ago and now want to do my spoiler too. How did you tape off the rear trunk when you painted it? I'm worried about over spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#19 ·
I had my scoops done right before I did this too it gives it a good look. I taped the edges of the spoiler and cover the rest with a newspaper or you could just tape it all the way. And overspray has not been a problem for me you can get some good off and wipe it right off leaving it shining and smooth.

#21 ·
I'm thinking about plasti dipping my v6 stock wheels but I am in sure on it. What do you guys think I should do? It's just for the winter set up.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

#22 ·
I've never figured that plasti dipping wheels would work. I know it's tough stuff, but you've got to think they will take a beating.

I'm trying to decided how I want to do my car. I might try some simple hood stripes around the hood vents. Just to see what it would look like.

#23 ·
If you apply a good 3 coats properly you won't have a problem w/the Dip on wheels. Not in terms of longevity.

The downside is that you'll probably want to reapply annually as the finish wears a bit/gets dirty as you can't really scrub/clean/shine the surface. But Plastidip is some surprisingly durable stuff if applied properly...IMO.

#25 ·
I know that it will work and hold up through the year because I did my girlfriends accord wheels last November with it and added plasti dip glossifier to it to give it a shine an it is still holding up strong no scuffs at all the endurance isn't really the problem. I just want to know if it would look good at all.I'm gonna be blacking the 8 out come spring and just want to try it out with the v6 wheels before purchasing some black wheels ya know?

#26 ·
went with plasti dipping the wheels looks good now just got to black out the rest of the window trim and tinting tail light headlights sidemarkers and fogs next weekend to black the 8 all out

#27 ·
OP, how did you get clean lines on the hood? Everytime i peel the tape, it pulls the edge of the plastidip.
I even tried multiple layers of tape, pulling with each coat.

Shaun

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.