Can a GM dealership turn off AFM? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > V8 Engine Tech (L76/LS3)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
Eric_GT

Default Can a GM dealership turn off AFM?

I'm not asking if the they will, but can it be done if I know someone in the service department?

2009 MSM G8GT- Premium/Sport
1 of less than 500/1 of a Kind!
Eric_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
done12many2
Teufel Hunden

Yes. I think would think they would if you paid them.

Magna Charger TVS MP1900 Kit.....American Racing Longtube Headers.....Magnaflow Axlebacks.....2.8 Pulley.....FAST Precision-Flow 65 lb Injectors.....Roto-Fab LLC Cold Air Intake.....MagnaVolt

(4) Infinity Kappa 62.9i - (1) Alpine M500 (Class D mono amp) - (1) Alpine SWR-1242D Type-R 12
done12many2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
p71

going with no. But that is just cause I know what I am talking about.

Seriously they will not do it unless they are one of the performance orientated places. Most dealerships do not have the software to turn off AFM.

08 GT Black Premium Sport RIP
2 JL Audio 12"s
p71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Mike Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by p71 View Post
going with no. But that is just cause I know what I am talking about.

Seriously they will not do it unless they are one of the performance orientated places. Most dealerships do not have the software to turn off AFM.
Correct. Dealers can not "custom" modify your software nor would they want to.

The real question is what do you have to gain by removing AFM and why would you throw away this technology?
Mike Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

I think there are some adjustments that can be made with the tech 2 tool.

Nothing close to a tune, but it couldn't hurt.

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

SRG963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
DRCUSTOMPARTS
Banned

If you don't want to buy a performance tuned PCM just put it in manual mode. It works for me until I figure out if I'm going with a handheld or a canned tune.
DRCUSTOMPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Eric_GT

Yes, I have been using manual mode as of late.
I want a tune but am growing tired of waiting for the Vararam. Then once that comes out, I still need to then wait for Vector to sync up.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Rob Moser
Dazed - Confused

VMS TUNE can turn off DOD. Kirk says he can not turn it off in one mode and leave it on in another however, as that is what I wanted to do. GM likely wouldn't let dealer do it, even if they knew what parameters to modify in the ecm.
Rob Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
MarylandSpeed
Site Sponsor

Turning off the AFM elimates a lot of unpleasent noise with and aftermarket catback. AFM does not come on very much in these cars..so turning it off is not gonna kill your gas milage. The easy way around it if your not ready for a tune is to put the car in sport mode but let the car shift it self (also called manual mode). Just like in the Corvette, the sport mode in the A6 is not only for allowing you to shift manually. If you leave it in sport and let the car shift itself, it changes to a different shift logic in the TCM that is a bit more sport oriented. Downshifts are firmer and everything is snappier compared to the "cadillac soft" normal mode.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
p71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Turning off the AFM elimates a lot of unpleasent noise with and aftermarket catback. AFM does not come on very much in these cars..so turning it off is not gonna kill your gas milage. The easy way around it if your not ready for a tune is to put the car in sport mode but let the car shift it self (also called manual mode). Just like in the Corvette, the sport mode in the A6 is not only for allowing you to shift manually. If you leave it in sport and let the car shift itself, it changes to a different shift logic in the TCM that is a bit more sport oriented. Downshifts are firmer and everything is snappier compared to the "cadillac soft" normal mode.
Ummm no...

Sport mode is the car shifting itself. Manual mode is putting the car in sport mode then tap up or down on the shifter...

Sport mode has firmer shifts and AFM

Manual mode has manually selected shifts and no AFM.

2 JL Audio 12"s
Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
beach

Quote:
Ummm no...

Sport mode is the car shifting itself. Manual mode is putting the car in sport mode then tap up or down on the shifter...

Sport mode has firmer shifts and AFM

Manual mode has manually selected shifts and no AFM.
Unless I missed something...this is exactly what MarylandSpeed just said. Exactly. Sport mode is for both shifting yourself or just for letting the car run in full automatic with a modified logic.

As for turning AFM off, that's not a dealer doable things. There are some parameters than can be modified with a Tech2, but in the manner of also being patches, files, reflashes, etc. directly from GM. Unless GM made available a new ECM/TCM flash that eliminted AFM, it won't and can't happen at a dealer.

That's what custom tunes are for, as so many here could talk about.
Pacific Slate/Onyx, Premium/Sport - 3M Clear Bra, 20% Rear Tint, GM Trunk Mat, Dimming Mirror, Holden VE Rubber Floor Mats, VMS TCM & 93 ECM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Pedders Bushings, Holden 6.0L Badges, GrafxWerks Badge Overlays, GXP Front Fascia & Rear Diffuser, JHP GPS Kit & Garmin, BP Catch Can, FE3/GXP Dampers, Corsa Cat-Back, GY Eagle GT Tires, GM Accessory Shift Knob
MPGTune.com Mileage History
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
99-LS1-SS
Sporting the GXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_GT View Post
Yes, I have been using manual mode as of late.
I want a tune but am growing tired of waiting for the Vararam. Then once that comes out, I still need to then wait for Vector to sync up.
It looks like the Vararam is finally going to happen. It's "supposed" to be here in 2 weeks.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
DRCUSTOMPARTS
Banned

I'll be able to turn off AFM with this super deal I just got on this tuner:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
DRCUSTOMPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
p71

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Unless I missed something...this is exactly what MarylandSpeed just said. Exactly. Sport mode is for both shifting yourself or just for letting the car run in full automatic with a modified logic.

As for turning AFM off, that's not a dealer doable things. There are some parameters than can be modified with a Tech2, but in the manner of also being patches, files, reflashes, etc. directly from GM. Unless GM made available a new ECM/TCM flash that eliminted AFM, it won't and can't happen at a dealer.

That's what custom tunes are for, as so many here could talk about.

You missed something...

CAR SHIFTS ITSELF IN SPORT MODE= AFM

YOU SHIFT CAR IN MANUAL= NO AFM

maryland said sport and manual were two names for the same thing. They are not... and afm is active in one and not the other.

If you put the car in sport mode like Maryland suggested, then AFM will stay on. If you shift it once AFM stops but the car will not shift itself anymore. if you switch it back to auto then the car will starts shifting itself but AFM also comes on.

No disrespect to you...

No disrespect to Maryland; greater vendor (from everything I have heard) and generally very knowledgeable. They are just misinformed about this issue or are expressing themselves inncorrectly.

Late

2 JL Audio 12"s
Old 01-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
MarylandSpeed
Site Sponsor

I just picked up my G8 yesterday and we speaking from what I thought saw in the brief wheel time I had yesterday. I know from a Corvette I had with the same trans and paddle shift...that you can put it in sport and it will shift itself in a much better fashion. Everyone here said when it was in sport mode..AFM is not active..so I assumed that was true..I have not tested it myself. I will play around with the car more this week.

Quote:
You missed something...

CAR SHIFTS ITSELF IN SPORT MODE= AFM

YOU SHIFT CAR IN MANUAL= NO AFM

maryland said sport and manual were two names for the same thing. They are not... and afm is active in one and not the other.

If you put the car in sport mode like Maryland suggested, then AFM will stay on. If you shift it once AFM stops but the car will not shift itself anymore. if you switch it back to auto then the car will starts shifting itself but AFM also comes on.

No disrespect to you...

No disrespect to Maryland; greater vendor (from everything I have heard) and generally very knowledgeable. They are just misinformed about this issue or are expressing themselves inncorrectly.

Late
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
chiefpontiac
Alexander Haig

Shouldn't there be a fuse under the hood that when pulled would simply shut off all power to the AFM solenoids? (or a wiring harness connector) Simple, reversible fix although you will prolly throw a code. Same with TPMS, should be afuse. Pull the fuse, system deactivated, no-touch to the ecm. Same operation will permanently shut off ABS (but why would you)
Old 01-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
Eric_GT

Wow! A very intelligent solution. I will need to look into this!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #18
Paniller
can haz cheezburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpontiac View Post
Shouldn't there be a fuse under the hood that when pulled would simply shut off all power to the AFM solenoids? (or a wiring harness connector) Simple, reversible fix although you will prolly throw a code. Same with TPMS, should be afuse. Pull the fuse, system deactivated, no-touch to the ecm. Same operation will permanently shut off ABS (but why would you)
I doubt it, being that this is controlled by the computer. I doubt the fueling would be correct if you ghetto disabled the AFM. The cylinders won't deactivate, but the fueling still would.
Paniller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #19
beach

It's very, very unlikely AFM would be controlled or defeatable by a fuse, plug, etc. It's a "function" in the overall tune that controls the powertrain, and not a module or separate part that can just be turned on or off.

Hence, why custom tunes that edit the overall software are the only way to make it exist or not. Fuses keep lights, windows, radios, etc. running, not ingrained functions in powertrain software like AFM. If they did, I have no doubt people here would be playing with such things much more readily, and before anything else.

So again, this isn't a dealer defeatable thing unless there were ever a PCM flash made available by GM that didn't incorporate the AFM function, for them to download.
Pacific Slate/Onyx, Premium/Sport - 3M Clear Bra, 20% Rear Tint, GM Trunk Mat, Dimming Mirror, Holden VE Rubber Floor Mats, VMS TCM & 93 ECM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Pedders Bushings, Holden 6.0L Badges, GrafxWerks Badge Overlays, GXP Front Fascia & Rear Diffuser, JHP GPS Kit & Garmin, BP Catch Can, FE3/GXP Dampers, Corsa Cat-Back, GY Eagle GT Tires, GM Accessory Shift Knob
MPGTune.com Mileage History
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #20
p71

Your best bet is to get a sensor to read out of spec....

Of course there is no reason to disable AFM in the first place unless you are doing it ath the hardware level.

2 JL Audio 12"s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement