Pontiac G8 Forum banner

INTENSE Twin Turbo G8 Goes to the Track

19K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  farsighted770 
#1 · (Edited)
We still have more to learn, but we’re very proud of how our flagship car has performed so far. After only eight passes on the current combination, we were able to dip into the tens with no weight reduction whatsoever. Thanks very much to Ed Morad of Morad Parts Company, and Bob and Rob Cook from B & R Racing who came out Summit Motorsports Park last night to offer their support.

We made five passes at Norwalk, with each run coming in quicker and faster than the previous. We called it a night and stopped once we achieved our goal, since we still had to drive 100 miles home. Here’s a video that Todd shot of our last run (10.727 @ 129.87 mph). The car in the right lane making me look slow there ran 8.704 @ 156.19 mph. Please right click, save as:

http://www.intense-racing.com/movies/INTENSETTG8GT_1072.wmv

The in-car video camera battery went dead at the beginning of the quickest run, but here’s a video of the previous one (11.130 @ 125.72 mph). Please right click, save as:

http://www.intense-racing.com/movies/INTENSETTG8GT_InCar1.wmv

I’ll try to scan the timeslip and get it posted here soon. In the interim, here are all the intervals for the number crunchers, or anyone who might be wondering what kind of lights an old guy like me normally cuts:

Reaction: .029
60’: 1.711
330’: 4.603
660’: 6.948 @ 104.49 mph
1,000’: 8.984
1,320’: 10.727 @ 129.87 mph

Current mods installed include:

APS intercooled twin turbo kit
AEM Tru Boost electronic boost controller
Autometer fuel pressure and oil pressure gauges
Custom 4-gallon surge tank (trunk-mounted)
Dual Walbro GSS392 inline fuel pumps
AN -6 Teflon-lined fuel lines (dual feed and single return)
Aeromotive LS7 fuel rails (modified)
Siemens shorty 60 pounds/hour fuel injectors
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
Katech connecting rod bolts
AFM (DOD) and LOMA disabled and removed
CompCams custom camshaft
LS7 lifters
LS2 cam gear and timing chain
TFS chrome moly pushrods
Pac 130 pound valvesprings
Titanium valvespring retainers
ARP head studs
Powerbond harmonic balancer
Autolite AR103 spark plugs
Magnaflow 3" dual exhaust system
INTENSE 160 degree thermostat
INTENSE custom dyno tune using HP Tuners
FTI 2,800 stall torque converter
Driveshaft Shop chrome moly driveshaft
B & R Racing driveshaft loop
Pedders Track II suspension system
BMR sub-frame connectors
B & R Racing chrome moly tunnel brace
CCW Drag Pack 16 x 9.5” rear wheels
M & H 26 x 11.50” street slicks

I want to take a minute to thank a few people who have been most helpful with this project recently.

+ Bob from B & R Racing (installed most items, fabricated chassis components and assisted with lots of great advice)
+ Brian from Dyno Tune Motorsports (assisted with the custom dyno tuning)
+ Chris from HP Tuners (assisted with tuning)

We still have a few small issues to work through. Tuning the 6L80E above the 600 RWHP level is proving to be exceptionally challenging. For example, we were still hitting the 7,000 rpm rev limiter on the 2-3 upshift. Also, the car has enough power to be launched much harder, so we’ll be trying to develop a game plan to make this happen. We will continue working through these issues, so look for our times to drop over the next few months. The official goal for this car is to run nines at full weight by the end of the race season. :driving:

See less See more
#6 ·
i witnessed the 10.7 run last night, what a small world. my first week owning a g8 and i run into this badboy at the track. thanks for all the pointers!

#7 ·
Excuse me for asking this question, but did any of these aftermarket modifications void the GM warranty? Just curious...

#9 ·
On the shifting issues... We eventually had to go to a vacuum modulator on the 4L60e on the impala ss's. The variable speed sensor just can't keep up with the acceleration of the car once you hit mid-11's. I would imagine you're running into the same problem with the 6L80e. So the next question is... is there a vacuum modulated version of the 6L80e?

#10 ·
Congratulations! :turbonaughtdy_1:

I am still amazed that you are able to put all that power through a 6L80E. :eek:

I noticed on your website that Scott has built his car like mine as primarily a street driven vehicle. In Oz ANDRA won't let you run below 11.000 secs without a roll cage, window netting, flame proof race wear, etc etc. Are the rules different in the US? :confused:

Good luck with your development work, Ian

#11 ·
Thats a crazy time, congratz. How much boost were you running?

#12 ·
dont quote me but he said he was around 9psi for the 10.7 pass, the 11 sec passes were made with about 7psi

could be wrong but thats what i thought he said

#13 ·
Re Raise, you ever take that monster on the highway for some fun runs? If so, does it shift crisp without hitting the rev limiter from a roll?

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks very much everyone. I had forgotten how fun it is to set records. :D

thanks for all the pointers!
No problem at all. It was nice to hear that you nailed your first ever RWD launch perfectly. :)

Excuse me for asking this question, but did any of these aftermarket modifications void the GM warranty? Just curious...
LOL - I sure hope not! :slap:

I noticed on your website that Scott has built his car like mine as primarily a street driven vehicle.
Yes, I drove it 100 miles to the track, and then home. Definitely turn some heads when the car is 100% streetable, still quiet, etc. :driving:

In Oz ANDRA won't let you run below 11.000 secs without a roll cage, window netting, flame proof race wear, etc etc. Are the rules different in the US?
Here we need a roll bar at 11.49, then a roll cage at 10.99 seconds. We've made eight full track passes now, and ALL of them were faster than 11.49. Maybe we get by because the car looks stock and is so quiet. ;)

Wow, congrats Scott, was this on Pump gas?
We're running a pump gas tune, but I did mix in a little 100-octane in this tank for some added safety margin. The official octane number for these passes was 98.6.

How much boost were you running?
11.261 (7.5 psi, 94.0 octane)
11.169 (7.5 psi, 94.0 octane)
11.167 (7.5 psi, 94.0 octane)
11.353 (7.5 psi, 98.6 octane)
11.414 (7.5 psi, 98.6 octane)
11.340 (7.5 psi, 98.6 octane)
11.130 (9.5 psi, 98.6 octane)
10.727 (11.0 psi, 98.6 octane)

Bold = record for this car

Note: The above E.T.s don't quite match up with what you'd expect as it relates to turning up the boost, and this is because I'm still learning to launch and we still have some tranny tuning issues to resolve above ~ 600 RWHP. Give us some time to figure this out. ;)

Re Raise, you ever take that monster on the highway for some fun runs? If so, does it shift crisp without hitting the rev limiter from a roll?
Yes, this car is my daily driver, so I drive ~ 50 miles on the highway every day. I only run ~ 7.5 psi of boost on the highway, since that's enough to still spin the street tires at 100 mph. And I can't go WOT in first or second gear at all, so the tranny tuning issues are pretty much transparent on the street.

#15 ·
NICE!!

i can't wait to track mine

#16 ·
We still have more to learn, but we’re very proud of how our flagship car has performed so far. After only eight passes on the current combination, we were able to dip into the tens with no weight reduction whatsoever. Thanks very much to Ed Morad of Morad Parts Company, and Bob and Rob Cook from B & R Racing who came out Summit Motorsports Park last night to offer their support.

We made five passes at Norwalk, with each run coming in quicker and faster than the previous. We called it a night and stopped once we achieved our goal, since we still had to drive 100 miles home. Here’s a video that Todd shot of our last run (10.727 @ 129.87 mph). The car in the right lane making me look slow there ran 8.704 @ 156.19 mph. Please right click, save as:

http://www.intense-racing.com/movies/INTENSETTG8GT_1072.wmv

The in-car video camera battery went dead at the beginning of the quickest run, but here’s a video of the previous one (11.130 @ 125.72 mph). Please right click, save as:

http://www.intense-racing.com/movies/INTENSETTG8GT_InCar1.wmv

I’ll try to scan the timeslip and get it posted here soon. In the interim, here are all the intervals for the number crunchers, or anyone who might be wondering what kind of lights an old guy like me normally cuts:

Reaction: .029
60’: 1.711
330’: 4.603
660’: 6.948 @ 104.49 mph
1,000’: 8.984
1,320’: 10.727 @ 129.87 mph

Current mods installed include:

APS intercooled twin turbo kit
AEM Tru Boost electronic boost controller
Autometer fuel pressure and oil pressure gauges
Custom 4-gallon surge tank (trunk-mounted)
Dual Walbro GSS392 inline fuel pumps
AN -6 Teflon-lined fuel lines (dual feed and single return)
Aeromotive LS7 fuel rails (modified)
Siemens shorty 60 pounds/hour fuel injectors
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
Katech connecting rod bolts
AFM (DOD) and LOMA disabled and removed
CompCams custom camshaft
LS7 lifters
LS2 cam gear and timing chain
TFS chrome moly pushrods
Pac 130 pound valvesprings
Titanium valvespring retainers
ARP head studs
Powerbond harmonic balancer
Autolite AR103 spark plugs
Magnaflow 3" dual exhaust system
INTENSE 160 degree thermostat
INTENSE custom dyno tune using HP Tuners
FTI 2,800 stall torque converter
Driveshaft Shop chrome moly driveshaft
B & R Racing driveshaft loop
Pedders Track II suspension system
BMR sub-frame connectors
B & R Racing chrome moly tunnel brace
CCW Drag Pack 16 x 9.5” rear wheels
M & H 26 x 11.50” street slicks

I want to take a minute to thank a few people who have been most helpful with this project recently.

+ Bob from B & R Racing (installed most items, fabricated chassis components and assisted with lots of great advice)
+ Brian from Dyno Tune Motorsports (assisted with the custom dyno tuning)
+ Chris from HP Tuners (assisted with tuning)

We still have a few small issues to work through. Tuning the 6L80E above the 600 RWHP level is proving to be exceptionally challenging. For example, we were still hitting the 7,000 rpm rev limiter on the 2-3 upshift. Also, the car has enough power to be launched much harder, so we’ll be trying to develop a game plan to make this happen. We will continue working through these issues, so look for our times to drop over the next few months. The official goal for this car is to run nines at full weight by the end of the race season. :driving:
Nice Scott. Can you send me some pics of the drag pack on the car?

Melissa

#17 ·
Great times! Can't wait to see it get faster...

#19 ·
#20 ·
Nice Scott. Can you send me some pics of the drag pack on the car?
I haven't run the fronts yet, but here are some shots with the rears on. :driving:

Attachments

#29 ·
#30 ·
Just like to say this is an awesome effort.. and Congratz

Couple of quick q's..

Was the car ran full weight if so have you had the car weighed before? as im interested to know the race weight.

& also what diff gears does this Car Run?

Rob

#31 ·
Was the car ran full weight if so have you had the car weighed before? as im interested to know the race weight.

& also what diff gears does this Car Run?

Rob
im 90% sure there is no weight reduction, in fact it may be a bit heavier than stock with twin turboes and the fuel cell in the trunk.

stock gears also :)

#35 ·
Great, Man I cant wait for my Turbo set up.

Cant wait to see you guys go into the 9's territory...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.