From Holden GTS to Pontiac G8 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > Multimedia

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 09-18-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
AussieG8

Default From Holden GTS to Pontiac G8

Hi new here, thought I would post about my new Pontiac G8. First a little background, I currently live in Sydney (Australia) and own a HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) GTS. As I am about to move to the States, so last week I put a deposit down on an 09 Pontiac G8 GT!

This will be my first pontiac, although my GTS is basicly the same vehicle, so I pretty sure of what I am getting.

My Holden is fitted with some nice audio & entertainment gear so I did a little shopping online today and picked up:

-Video in motion kit

-Boston speakers front and rear

-A Factory Fit Touch Screen Sateillite Navigation kit, that integrates in to the factory screen with US mapping. This thing is great! I bought the Australian one for my GTS a while back.

Next will be a TV tuner and DVD player to go with it all. Anyway let me know what you guys think. I'll add some photos of my new ride shortly. Can't wait to get over there and pick it up.

07 HSV GTS - Selling

09 Pontiac G8 GT - Just put a deposit down.
AussieG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
95ImpalaSS407TT

Man i wish I could get that Navigation kit...

Anyways, good luck on urrelocation and hope u enjoy the G8 as much as the HSV...
2009.5 G8 GXP/(2011 Impala SS 1 0f 1) A6, Silver, Onyx & Red, Sunroof, 5% Tints, Vararam, Custom Catless H Pipe CatBack with Rear U Pipe & Flowmaster Super 44's, Wester's Garage Tune. 2010 Black Polished face Camaro Wheels.
Alpine Amp:MRP-M500 & Alpine Sub Type R:SWR-1222D. Kenwood doors speakers.

ROTREX already purchased...

2008 Nissan Armada LE: Loaded, Flowmaster Super 40's, Volant CAI, Etc.
1995 Chevy Impala SS 407 TwinTurbo. 1400BHP of pure Muscle by TBK Performance in Miami FL.
95ImpalaSS407TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
AussieG8

Yeah, they are a great bit of kit. I got it from a online store in Australia called The Audio Factory, they must ship to the US as the kit is made for the American G8's. Thanks for the kind works.

07 HSV GTS - Selling

Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
95ImpalaSS407TT

PM me a link if you can, cuz I have not seen this kit at all...

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieG8 View Post
Yeah, they are a great bit of kit. I got it from a online store in Australia called The Audio Factory, they must ship to the US as the kit is made for the American G8's. Thanks for the kind works.
2009.5 G8 GXP/(2011 Impala SS 1 0f 1) A6, Silver, Onyx & Red, Sunroof, 5% Tints, Vararam, Custom Catless H Pipe CatBack with Rear U Pipe & Flowmaster Super 44's, Wester's Garage Tune. 2010 Black Polished face Camaro Wheels.

1995 Chevy Impala SS 407 TwinTurbo. 1400BHP of pure Muscle by TBK Performance in Miami FL.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
AussieG8

No problem, pm sent.

07 HSV GTS - Selling

Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
95ImpalaSS407TT

thanks alot man, i emailed them a few questions. Do you have the system already with u? Did they told u how difficult is to isntall and if it will give any problems with the stock blueetooth?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
aedeau

Quote:
Hi new here, thought I would post about my new Pontiac G8. First a little background, I currently live in Sydney (Australia) and own a HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) GTS. As I am about to move to the States, so last week I put a deposit down on an 09 Pontiac G8 GT!

This will be my first pontiac, although my GTS is basicly the same vehicle, so I pretty sure of what I am getting.

My Holden is fitted with some nice audio & entertainment gear so I did a little shopping online today and picked up:

-Video in motion kit

-Boston speakers front and rear

-A Factory Fit Touch Screen Sateillite Navigation kit, that integrates in to the factory screen with US mapping. This thing is great! I bought the Australian one for my GTS a while back.

Next will be a TV tuner and DVD player to go with it all. Anyway let me know what you guys think. I'll add some photos of my new ride shortly. Can't wait to get over there and pick it up.
Isn't the new camaro about 30k over there? I'd rather get that than a rebadged SS for the same coin. The camaro sells for about 120k in Oz once you factor in conversion and ADR compliance
aedeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
AussieG8

No havn't got it yet, should be here early next week. my brother installed the Holden one in my GTS a while ago, wasn't hard, it came with instructions from memory it took him about an hour and half, maybe 2 hours to install. No didnt affect the bluetooth in my GTS.

07 HSV GTS - Selling

Old 09-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
AussieG8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedeau View Post
Isn't the new camaro about 30k over there? I'd rather get that than a rebadged SS for the same coin. The camaro sells for about 120k in Oz once you factor in conversion and ADR compliance
No we don't have the Camaro in Australia. I bought the G8 as i'm moving to the US and wanted to stay with a vehicle that I know.

07 HSV GTS - Selling

Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
AussieG8

For those people interested in the Touch Navigation here is a link: http://www.theaudiofactory.com.au/in...ewCat&catId=68

07 HSV GTS - Selling

Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Lazarus

Quote:
For those people interested in the Touch Navigation here is a link: http://www.theaudiofactory.com.au/in...ewCat&catId=68
Thanks for the link, and welcome!! You should be very familiar with your new G8 It is a great (rare over here) car, as you probably already know.

I love this touch screen kit! I just can't justify $2000 for it. I'd rather get the GPS trim kit from JHP for around $400 and then use a $150 Garmin or similar. It looks factory, although I would prefer the kit you bought, for the ultimate from the factory look...
#8 of only 10 built in this combo, #1554 of 1829 overall
Rotofab CAI, Wortec cat back w/ electronic valves (demo here), VIM, HP Tuners

Last edited by Lazarus; 09-18-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: typo
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
AussieG8

Hi Lazarus thanks for the welcome, yes can't wait to take delivery of the G8! all up it cost me US-$1455.00. I think its a bargain, considering that the factory nav for my holden was a $2500 option from factory, and that didnt have half the features of my touch screen model.

07 HSV GTS - Selling

Old 09-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
Lazarus

Quote:
Hi Lazarus thanks for the welcome, yes can't wait to take delivery of the G8! all up it cost me US-$1455.00. I think its a bargain, considering that the factory nav for my holden was a $2500 option from factory, and that didnt have half the features of my touch screen model.
Ah, I didn't realize the price on the website was in AUS$. Ok, that is a bit better, but you could still save about $1000 going the way of the GPS trim kit from JHP and buying an external GPS. I will be considering both options. One questions I'm hoping someone can answer. With this system, you are using the rear aux input as the source on the head unit (which requires VIM). If I want to view the map while driving, and lets say listen to a CD, can you do this? How do you listen to a different source, and still have the map on the screen?

Thanks for any information!
#8 of only 10 built in this combo, #1554 of 1829 overall
Rotofab CAI, Wortec cat back w/ electronic valves (demo here), VIM, HP Tuners
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
zepcom
Administrator

Welcome to the site.

Is there any way for you to import your "old clunker from down under" to the states so we can part it out?

You may be bored with all the enthusiasts on this site and in the USA that buy $3500+ "appearance kits" to make their cars look like the ones you're used to from Austrailia. Don't get me wrong, to each their own, however, it may be neat for you to comment on the interesting differences between what you're used to, and how the G8 GT changes have effected you.

Not only that, but learn to drive on the correct side of the car and road now!! just kidding, all in good fun!

Got any pics of your old ride? What color did you go with for the new GT? (or did you already state this?)

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced catback with take-off SLP tips.
SOLO J-pipes developed and perfected with my test mule!
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
AussieG8

I believe it does use the rear aux input, because it says that your need a VIM kit as well.

The GT is white, here is a pic of my GTS,

07 HSV GTS - Selling

Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
Walter
'11 STI Sedan

congrat son the GT....beautiful GTS

'08 G8 GT : intense stage 1 tune, rotofab, breytons, magnaflow (SOLD)

Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
aedeau

looks like you guys get to spend even more money making your pontiacs looks like series 2 HSVs
Old 09-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
J Wikoff

It might be less since we wouldn't have to buy a hood.
2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim conversion, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Red hot shift knob, Autodim 07 Trailblazer mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC Pioneer Premier sub

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
J Wikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #19
aedeau

yeh, they're left over pontiac hoods from the cancelled export program... but don't tell anybody here in oz... they all think they're getting "limited edition" hoods :P

We even have a "special edition" SS commodore coming out at the end of the year which looks exactly like the g8gt, even down to the front grill... it's a $1k premium for the privilege of this special edition
Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #20
Phoulplae

lol so there actually is someone working in GM's marketing dept. and here i thought the lights on that floor were turned off long ago...

funny that they're charging to get rid of NOS, but whatever. am betting they will be a collector's item (eventually) simply for their rarity, so maybe there is an investment aspect of it. i'm sure that will be the sales pitch for 100% of the discussions, too.

AussieG8 be sure to strip your rims and bring 'em with ya!

$1300 plus shipping is not too bad for this piece, although one can buy a lot of maps for that.

Phoulplae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement