GAS CAP & check engine light! - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > G8 GT Talk (V8)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #21
G8_Ogre_GT

New cap yesterday. Hopefully that does the trick.

While it was on order for a week, I took a key to the old one, and pried up slightly on the seal, all the way around. When I reinstalled it, the CEL went away a few hours later, and never came back.
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #22
wraleighkat919

The gas cap on our cars is a real pain in the butt. Several times a month I get the CEL. Each time I fill up I make sure I rotate the cap numerous times until it clicks and then some. For me to go a week without it coming on is very slim. More recently when my tank gets low the CEL comes on. . What I plan to do is replace the cap with a locking gas cap I had on my Grand Prix. Hopefully, this will do the trick and I will not have to worry about seeing the CEL. It's starting to freak me out. The more I see it I'm thinking something is wrong with the car.
2006 Grand Prix GT (Black)
2009 G8 GT Panther Black - Premium/Sports Package

35% Tint, Removed "Pontiac", Black Arrowheads, Sharkfin. - Still stock!
wraleighkat919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #23
Agose25

Happened for the second time to me recently. I am sure it shimmyed loose on the rough patch of Hwy in North Dallas near 121 and 75...lots of construction in that area.
Agose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #24
Live A Little
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agose25 View Post
Happened for the second time to me recently. I am sure it shimmyed loose on the rough patch of Hwy in North Dallas near 121 and 75...lots of construction in that area.
Or it could be the change of weather. Just like our tires loosing pressure when it gets cold. Of course, that doesn't explain much for you S. FL guys.
www.ccg8cc.com

http://youtu.be/oiJ0bjkm8DE

2009 Pontiac G8 GT aka: "Tara"
SRM/Premium & Sport/Sunroof

Modded??....ummmmm....
Live A Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #25
Catherder

Default Remote Start doesn't

Anyone besides Brandi and me have this problem?

Everytime I have something go wrong with my G8 GT (purchased Apr. 2008) I revist the cost of an extended warranty. Not used to cars that have so many issues before 100,000 miles.

Husband says I should have purchased a BMW
Catherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
nathan's g8 gt

I have a new gas cap my light still comes on! the gas cap is tight. I have had the canister/valve replaced that sits on top of the tank it still comes on. Now they are going to replace the whole gas tank. I have read that are cars have bad gas tanks and they leak. that is why the cel comes on. I have General involved now!
nathan's g8 gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #27
wa101

This problem is not unique to the G8. In addtion to the G8 GT, I also have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer.

The gas tank sensors in both vehicles are overly sensitive, and I'm constantly getting the check engine light on both vehicles.

Having experienced this problem many, many, many times before on the Trailblazer, I am very aware to always making sure the gas cap is tight, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

With the Trailblazer, I can usually clear the light by opening the gas cap and using a screw driver to hold the flapper in the filler tube open for about a minute to vent the tank. This trick does not work on the G8 and I've yet to figure out another work around. Until I do, this will just be a nuisance that I already learned a long time ago to live with on my other vehicle.
wa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #28
need4spd
Flying at low altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Anyone besides Brandi and me have this problem?

Everytime I have something go wrong with my G8 GT (purchased Apr. 2008) I revist the cost of an extended warranty. Not used to cars that have so many issues before 100,000 miles.

Husband says I should have purchased a BMW
It would be cheaper to buy your own gas cap than an extended warranty.....

With regards to BMW's I had 10 fold the problems on my 5 series than with my G8. while I have had a few problems, the G8 has been more reliable than any German or Japanese cars I have owned. German cars are way too temperamental, and our family was very BMW loyal until I broke the chain. I can name lots more bigger issues on BMW's than the G8 has.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #29
G8Lanche

Waiting for my 2nd gas cap now, they're on backorder
Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #30
Redwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncg8 View Post
Same problem, I tighten until it clicks. Happens once or twice a month, usual a week or so after I fill it.
The new gas cap they gave me says to make sure it clicks three times. It's taken some getting used to as my BMW was supposed to be only 1 click. This is the first car I've ever had evaporative emissions check engine light related issues.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #31
MisterCGT

Yes, i'm waiting myself. That's a shame.
Coming soon : DOD Delete Kit /Cam / Rick Crawford Head work / UDP.
New Dyno # Coming Soon
Old Dyno # 333 whp & 357 wtq
Other Big Boy Toy:
1991 3000 GT VR4 759 AWHP 730 AWTQ @ 28psi on E85.
MisterCGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #32
Live A Little
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa101 View Post
This problem is not unique to the G8. In addtion to the G8 GT, I also have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer.

The gas tank sensors in both vehicles are overly sensitive, and I'm constantly getting the check engine light on both vehicles.

Having experienced this problem many, many, many times before on the Trailblazer, I am very aware to always making sure the gas cap is tight, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

With the Trailblazer, I can usually clear the light by opening the gas cap and using a screw driver to hold the flapper in the filler tube open for about a minute to vent the tank. This trick does not work on the G8 and I've yet to figure out another work around. Until I do, this will just be a nuisance that I already learned a long time ago to live with on my other vehicle.
Sounds more like a "vapor lock". I took my previously (and last) owned Taurus out west and into the Sierra and Rocky mountains. The car started to run like ***** and would almost stall out. When I pulled over to check out the car, I noticed a whining sound from the gas cap. I unscrewed it and gasping rushing sound of air come out, or in. I keep the cap off and drove into town and the mechanic stated that I have to be re-tuned for the elevation or just leave the cap off. Since I was only there for 3 weeks, I left it off. When I returned back to a lower elevation, the car ran fine. Then I sold it after I realized it was a piece of cr@p!!

Seeing that your in WA, have you check this out?
www.ccg8cc.com

http://youtu.be/oiJ0bjkm8DE

2009 Pontiac G8 GT aka: "Tara"
SRM/Premium & Sport/Sunroof

Modded??....ummmmm....
Live A Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #33
JBcarnut

Guess I've joined the gas cap club, too! My check engine light came on this morning when I left for work and was still on when I came home. I took it to the dealer and they cleared the code as well as discovered the cap was slightly loose-I haven't even bought gas yet as it came with a full tank. If it happens again I'm going to have them order a new cap.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #34
Carqwik

My CEL light came on at around 5k miles in the middle of a tank of gas. First thing, I tightened the cap...three clicks. Light stayed on for a few days...and having read this board, I figured it was the gas cap. Called OnStar...said it was an "emissions code" or something like that which meant gas cap. Hmmm. Ok, so I totally took off the cap and then put it on again. Drove away and CEL extinguished. Problem solved. Hasn't come back since.

I think that when putting the gas cap back on, one has to push and twist, not just screw it on til the clicks. Just my thoughts...
Carqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #35
2009blueg8

damn now my check engine light keeps coming on......
Sport pkg
A.F.E.Intake
Magnaflow exhaust 16795
Dynotech long tube headers
HP Tuners dyno tune
Savini forged wheels
20x8.5fr 20x10.rr
2009blueg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #36
09gtt

If u can live without the little plastic piece that holds it there walmart has a gas cap for $12 that fits much better than the stock one.

Gone white hot 09 g8 gt
1/8 7.52 MPH 94.37 60ft. 1.76
1/4 11.74 mph 117.00 60ft. 1.76
09gtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #37
BMWAP

Any one try to screwless cap? Insert and fill type like on the Ford commercail? Will it throw an alert?
BMWAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #38
steveua

All I know is that CR says buy the G8, and says absolutely do not buy the 5-series. Gas cap is pretty minor, I think. I never had an issue in the 4 months I owned mine, and I really beat on it....

G37 (traded)
G8 GT (R.I.P.)
Honda Cr-v (gone, thank God)
1978 Nissan 280-z
1975 Plymouth Fury
steveua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #39
wheelsnkeels

I want to order the updated gas cap on line. does anyone have the new part #
wheelsnkeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #40
Perhaps