Front License Plate Holder Repair of Removal? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Appearance / Detailing

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Big Fee

Default Front License Plate Holder Repair of Removal?

JUst had my 09 GT delivered last Thursday. I'm guessing Ohio residents are required to have a front license plate but here in PA we are not. I want to take the ugly holder frame off of my GT but, from what I can see, there are atleast 4 unsightly screw holes in my front bumper from this frame's attachment points. The holes are probably a good 1/8" in diameter. Short of using cut pieces of black electrical tape, what can I use to cover up these holes? Do they make any caps that can be pressed/pushed into the holes? JUst wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to resolve it. Thanks guys!!
Big Fee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
BluYa76
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fee View Post
JUst had my 09 GT delivered last Thursday. I'm guessing Ohio residents are required to have a front license plate but here in PA we are not. I want to take the ugly holder frame off of my GT but, from what I can see, there are atleast 4 unsightly screw holes in my front bumper from this frame's attachment points. The holes are probably a good 1/8" in diameter. Short of using cut pieces of black electrical tape, what can I use to cover up these holes? Do they make any caps that can be pressed/pushed into the holes? JUst wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to resolve it. Thanks guys!!

It's common with our G8's. Do a search and should find the threads where other members got plugs to put in the bumper. I know a few had them painted to match. Good luck, and you can always do what I did. I got lucky and bought a used (but in great shape) bumper already color matched with no front license plate from another member. Removal of the bumper is really easy, and congrats on the new ride!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Big Fee

Thanks alot BlyYa76. I gotta look for some postings on these plugs. Havn't been able to find any other postings/threads on this yet.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
jackalope

Link to my fix.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15573
Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Big Fee

Thanks alot jackalope!! Just printed out your fix. I love this board!! I'm sure gonna be living on this forum for years to come for great G8 info. Thanks again!!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
jackalope

Quote:
Thanks alot jackalope!! Just printed out your fix. I love this board!! I'm sure gonna be living on this forum for years to come for great G8 info. Thanks again!!

Glad to help and good luck. BTW my fix is semi perminent and can be punched out if you need to re-mount the front tag.

If you look closly on my sig you can see it works perfect on the G8 also.

Last edited by jackalope; 01-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Big Fee

Hey jackalope, I'm a former M3 guy <sacrificed my '97 M3 sedan to buy our first Honda Odyssey--saddest day in my life!>. Is that an E39 M5 you have there or an aftermarket lower front fender on a 330i? Either way, I loved my Bimmers. Was actually considering a used 335i 6-speed manual sedan but so much more room in the G8. I have 3 kids and I'd never get them in the back of the 3er. Those inline 6's are awesome engines. I can still picture winding that thing up to redline. What great sounds it made!!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
jackalope

That actualy was my 2003 E46 M3 that I got rid of to buy my G8. The damn thing kept breaking down and 3 BMW dealers couldn't fix it.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Big Fee

So sorry to hear about your M3. Best friend of mine bought my '95 Avus Blue coupe from me back in "99 and now he has an "02 or "03 like yours AND he just had an "03 X5 4.6is shipped to him from Houston to where he is in Miami. It helps that his wife is an MD. I, unfortunately, am not as lucky in that regard. From what I can see so far with the G8, looks like Holden/Pontiac cheaped out on the interior/paint. What is with the chinsy glove box door? My 14-month old could break that off of it's hinges!! Do you have a clear bra on the front of your G8? Paint chipping seems to be the general consesus cosmetic problem on here.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
mikemaj82

watch out for the plug idea. If you need to cover up 4 holes with plugs it might look funny depending on your color car. Mine is white, and I used Heron White touchup paint on the plugs, and they stood out like a sore thumb.
mikemaj82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
jackalope

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your M3. Best friend of mine bought my '95 Avus Blue coupe from me back in "99 and now he has an "02 or "03 like yours AND he just had an "03 X5 4.6is shipped to him from Houston to where he is in Miami. It helps that his wife is an MD. I, unfortunately, am not as lucky in that regard. From what I can see so far with the G8, looks like Holden/Pontiac cheaped out on the interior/paint. What is with the chinsy glove box door? My 14-month old could break that off of it's hinges!! Do you have a clear bra on the front of your G8? Paint chipping seems to be the general consesus cosmetic problem on here.

No paint chipping that you wouldn't find on any other car with 15,000 miles on it. Sure I have a few but nothing I'd call excessive. Not that I care really cause as soon as the weather breaks I have a brand new GXP front bumper going on and its been painted by a local shop NOT GM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
TurboMike

I found plugs in Autozone listed for "Nissan/Toyota" that popped in my front plate holes. I painted them to match. Doesnt look awesome but better than bumper holes.
TurboMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
TurboMike

My plugs:
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...t=28276&page=4
Old 04-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
MVCarpenter

bumperplugs.com

Used them before. Top notch quality and service, color matched to your exact vehicle. Can't beat it.
MVCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
TurboMike

I saw those. $25 (plus rip off shipping) for a huge plug vs $2.15 plug (plus some spray paint) for a small one almost the size of the hole (small).
Old 04-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
MVCarpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMike View Post
I saw those. $25 (plus rip off shipping) for a huge plug vs $2.15 plug (plus some spray paint) for a small one almost the size of the hole (small).
Touche. You said you went to AutoZone for the plugs? Exactly what color and brand of spray paint did you use? My car is MSM just like yours.
MVCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #17
TurboMike

Well IMO when you're talking about a plug about a quarter inch, any close silver will do. I used the same color I used on my wheel caps. I -think- it was called Metallic Silver or Brilliant Metalic something. I'd go look but all my spray paint is at gf's so her brat can paint his model rockets.

Two coats, then one coat of clear.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
TurboMike

After my plugs were chipping from rocks (even with two coats and clearcoat) I went with decals. Pics at the end of this post:
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28276
Sponsored Links
Advertisement