Antifreeze / coolant leak - water pump going after only 15k? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > V8 Engine Tech (L76/LS3)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
l.i. bruce fan
GP GT -> G35x -> G8 GT

Default Antifreeze / coolant leak - water pump going after only 15k?

The title says it all. Found a small puddle in the garage under my GT (18 months in service, 15,100 miles) took it in and dealer (Chevy dealer BTW) says water pump is leaking.

I think I have changed maybe one water pump in all the cars I have owned in 26 years and I am somewhat surprised that this happened, especially so soon.

Anyone else with similar experience? (I searched the forum and only found two guys with radiator leaks).

Also, any thoughts on going with Chevy dealer for service?

My reasons were lack of acceptable Pontiac dealers locally and thought that Chevy dealers would have experience with L76 given that it is used in some of their SUVs and trucks.
Premium Package
Sunroof
l.i. bruce fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
DRCUSTOMPARTS
Banned

Parts aren't 100% fail proof in manufacturing, it's know as a defective part. There's nothing wrong with having a Chevy dealer fix your car, they are trained by GM just like the guys at the Pontiac dealers.
DRCUSTOMPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
BigV8

I know that the 5.3 in my 99 truck is close family to the 6.0 as far as the water pump design. So what i had on my truck was a leak but only when it was cooled down. It was not out of the weep hole but after removing the pump found out it came from one the metal gaskets with the built in rubber seal. That was a first for me. I guess they probably did give you the details? Just sharing my experience.
09 GXP SRM A6 w/sunroof. Mods:Livernois Maggie 2.3, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab,Corsa, Kooks 1 7/8 mids, BMR,Pedders supercar coilovers, all Brembos, CTS-V rims, Hids, halos, leather console lid. HSV gauges. 502rwhp,479tq#873 of 1829 and 1 of 169 in SRM.
BigV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
l.i. bruce fan
GP GT -> G35x -> G8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV8 View Post
I know that the 5.3 in my 99 truck is close family to the 6.0 as far as the water pump design. So what i had on my truck was a leak but only when it was cooled down. It was not out of the weep hole but after removing the pump found out it came from one the metal gaskets with the built in rubber seal. That was a first for me. I guess they probably did give you the details? Just sharing my experience.
No details yet, will share once I have them.

And Dr. Custom - I'm familiar with the concept of a defective part, I was just surprised with the defect considering the limited amount of use/time and my past experiences, and was wondering if others had similar experiences.
Premium Package
Sunroof
l.i. bruce fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
DRCUSTOMPARTS
Banned

I've been around long enough to realize that defects aren't surprising, and this is no exception.
DRCUSTOMPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
MRM

On my '97 GP, I replaced the water pump twice on it. Once was right after I bought it with roughly 48k miles on it and the other was over 160k miles.
MRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
91Firehawk
GXPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.i. bruce fan View Post
The title says it all. Found a small puddle in the garage under my GT (18 months in service, 15,100 miles) took it in and dealer (Chevy dealer BTW) says water pump is leaking.

I think I have changed maybe one water pump in all the cars I have owned in 26 years and I am somewhat surprised that this happened, especially so soon.

Anyone else with similar experience? (I searched the forum and only found two guys with radiator leaks).

Also, any thoughts on going with Chevy dealer for service?

My reasons were lack of acceptable Pontiac dealers locally and thought that Chevy dealers would have experience with L76 given that it is used in some of their SUVs and trucks.
i had the same thing on my G8. took it in they did a pressure check to find the leak and they said it was the water pump. it took them a week to get one before they could do the install
Old 02-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
BrandonG8Man

Default 24k and just had same issue.

Had a small pink puddle in the garage under the engine. Took it in and they diagnosed the water pump after a pressure test. In my case they had the pump in stock so had it fixed the same day. A bit unusual but definitely still love my 08 GT!
BrandonG8Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement