» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

Thumbs up TPMS matching process outlined

The TPMS matching process is outlined below:

1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.

3. Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter’s lock and unlock buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn chirps two times indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.

4. Start with the driver side front tire.

5. Remove the valve cap from the tire’s valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirps one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.

6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

9. After the driver side rear TPMS sensor has been learned the horn chirps two times. The TPMS sensor matching process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.

If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.

11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

Last edited by SRG963; 03-09-2010 at 05:43 PM.
SRG963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
ncgator8

This is also illustrated in your owner's manual.
G8 trunk liner
19" wheels
Sport package
Preferred package

2000 Corvette roadster, black over light pewter
polished wheels
6000K HID

706 ponies in the stable
ncgator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
kutza

this is a PITA! process, esp for overweight people like me who are about to fall down and roll on the ground, by the time you get to the pass rear tire.

Last edited by kutza; 10-07-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
kutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
sta4

I take it this is what needs to be done after rotating the tires, since my TPMS is now reversed?
sta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
richm52

Yes it is. The only thing I can add is that I remove the valve stem caps before I begin the process. It really is pretty simple process.
GXP Front Fascia and Rear Diffuser
GXP Rear Sway Bar and Mufflers
V6 Tail Lights
Pedders XA Coilovers, Sub Frame Connectors and Radius Rod Bushings
DBA T-3 Slotted Rotors and Hawk Ceramic Pads

Last edited by richm52; 01-08-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling
richm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
PNB19

I am looking at purchasing a 2nd set of wheels for a winter tire package. I plan on purchasing New GM TPMS parts for the winter package. Will this process work so that when I put the winter tires on I can pair them with the car? Basically I want to have two sets of TPMS one in each of the 8 total wheels/tires. Can I use this process? or do I have to go to a dealership?
PNB19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
zepcom
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNB19 View Post
I am looking at purchasing a 2nd set of wheels for a winter tire package. I plan on purchasing New GM TPMS parts for the winter package. Will this process work so that when I put the winter tires on I can pair them with the car? Basically I want to have two sets of TPMS one in each of the 8 total wheels/tires. Can I use this process? or do I have to go to a dealership?

Yep. That's how I have it. I have a winter set on the stock GT rims, and a summer set of rubber on my V6 twinspoke rims. Works flawlessly.

After you get the new tires and TPMS mounted and put on your car, simply follow along with the procedure that SRG963 posted at the top of this thread. Now your car's TPMS setup is "mated" to the tires that are currently on your car. Likewise, your other set of tires that have TPMS sensors but are no longer installed on your car have been somewhat "forgotten" by your car for the time being.

When you rotate or swap out your set of tires&rims next time, simply repeat the entire procedure with only the tires that are to stay on the car for the next while. Then whichever tires you took off or are in storage, will be removed from the system and you are good to go.

Hope this helps!!

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced catback with take-off SLP tips.
SOLO J-pipes developed and perfected with my test mule!
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

zepcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Bob N

Last month when I took off my stock 19" wheels and tires,and replaced them with my winter wheels and tires with TPMS, I could not pair them after numerous attempts using the procedure in the manual. I got a TPMS FAULT message. I took it to the dealer and was told the system could not handle more than 4 different TPMS sensors, but they could reset it for $28.95. They told me I would have to do this whenever I switched the wheels. Paid them their blood money and they reset them. I think they're full of it! When spring gets here, if ever, I'm going to attempt the procedure myself again until get it right.
By the way, after the blizzard we got Tuesday and Wednesday dropping about 20" of snow and 4-5 ft. drifts, I've not had any trouble driving my GT
with the Michelin Alpin's.
Premium & Sport Package
In-Dash GPS
Varex Custom Exhaust
Bob N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
zepcom
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
Last month when I took off my stock 19" wheels and tires,and replaced them with my winter wheels and tires with TPMS, I could not pair them after numerous attempts using the procedure in the manual. I got a TPMS FAULT message. I took it to the dealer and was told the system could not handle more than 4 different TPMS sensors, but they could reset it for $28.95. They told me I would have to do this whenever I switched the wheels. Paid them their blood money and they reset them. I think they're full of it! When spring gets here, if ever, I'm going to attempt the procedure myself again until get it right.
By the way, after the blizzard we got Tuesday and Wednesday dropping about 20" of snow and 4-5 ft. drifts, I've not had any trouble driving my GT
with the Michelin Alpin's.

That sucks for sure.

Timing and "order" is important... when I do it (I've done it close to 6 times with no issues, several different sets of rims) ... I pull off the valve caps on all 4 wheels first, roll down the drivers window completely, activate the start of the procedure, and with the corner of my key, start the process by letting the air out of each tire in turn. The corner blinker lights tell you which tire to do next. Once it's all done, then fill up the fronts to 35 and the rears to 39, or so!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
drewdog

i plan on doing this very soon w/ the winter setup - thanks for the post !
Tints, Sharkfin antenna, passenger seat mod
drewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Bob N

I assume the TPMS sensors communicate with the cars computer via some sort of radio signal. Do you think the fact I have one of the summer wheels in the trunk as a spare, and the other three stacked up next to the car in the garage, could cause some confusion in the signal?
Also, when I attempted to reset the system the drivers side front was the only one to respond with the horn chirp. Maybe I didn't release or increase the air pressure long enough to activate the others. After reading your response, I see it isn't necessary to set the exact tire pressure until each
wheel relearned the new sensor. That could also be my problem.
Thanks for the info, it may do the trick.
Premium & Sport Package
In-Dash GPS
Varex Custom Exhaust
Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
zepcom
Administrator

Quote:
I assume the TPMS sensors communicate with the cars computer via some sort of radio signal. Do you think the fact I have one of the summer wheels in the trunk as a spare, and the other three stacked up next to the car in the garage, could cause some confusion in the signal?
Also, when I attempted to reset the system the drivers side front was the only one to respond with the horn chirp. Maybe I didn't release or increase the air pressure long enough to activate the others. After reading your response, I see it isn't necessary to set the exact tire pressure until each
wheel relearned the new sensor. That could also be my problem.
Thanks for the info, it may do the trick.
I use the corner of the flip key to let the air out at a medium pace... the horn chirps after maybe 5 seconds for each one. Never had a problem. If you try to get your fingernail in there you might be right, you may not be letting the air out quick enough. No worries, after it's all done, you can fill them back up to spec. If the tire starts to show a dip (you've let out enough to be <20 pounds of pressure) then I'd abort mission as something isn't right and you'll need to fill it back up before you try again. You DO NOT WANT to de-bead the tire off the rim (run it flat) via this procedure... so be aware of how much air you let out. Maybe pump them all to 40 prior to this exercise then you'll have sufficient air in them to let out.

Once the learn process is started, as long as there are 4 sequential new sensor-ID's learned, the other tires, no matter their proximity, are no longer stored.

I have a TPMS-installed full size spare in my trunk, but it's "not in the system" until I rotate it in via the above method. That sensor never gets queried because my most recent "learn" exercise did not include letting air out of that particular 'spare' tire. Same goes for the ones in the stack on the garage. Make sense?

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
Bob N

Makes perfect sense to me now that you explained it. To bad the owners manual is written by someone from India. lol
Thanks Zepcom
Premium & Sport Package
In-Dash GPS
Varex Custom Exhaust
Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
zepcom
Administrator

Quote:
Makes perfect sense to me now that you explained it. To bad the owners manual is written by someone from India. lol
Thanks Zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
PONY MAN

Quote:
I took it to the dealer and was told the system could not handle more than 4 different TPMS sensors, but they could reset it for $28.95. They told me I would have to do this whenever I switched the wheels.
I hate to break it to you, but the stealership got you on this one my friend. I've switched wheels on my car several times before without any assistance from them. I'd be willing to bet the three wheels stacked on the side somehow contributed to the TPMS fault messages as the car sends a signal to each wheel in the relearn process. ZEPCOM definitely is the TPMS guru, do exactly as he advises and you'll be doing the lawnmower (dance) next time around.

PONY MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
zepcom
Administrator

lol on lawnmower dance.

I saw it more of a one-man Nascar Pit Crew exercise. lol

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
Bob N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITZAPONY G8 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but the stealership got you on this one my friend. I've switched wheels on my car several times before without any assistance from them. I'd be willing to bet the three wheels stacked on the side somehow contributed to the TPMS fault messages as the car sends a signal to each wheel in the relearn process. ZEPCOM definitely is the TPMS guru, do exactly as he advises and you'll be doing the lawnmower (dance) next time around.

I consider it a lesson learned!
Premium & Sport Package
In-Dash GPS
Varex Custom Exhaust
Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
adam98gtp03

FYI, Some Costco tire center's (depending on location) have a scan tool, and would be willing to reset the TPMS system as well. They also stock the sensors and stems, and very competitive prices, eBay may be cheaper still, but just a thought.
adam98gtp03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #19
Bob N

Just an update: Switched back to the summer tires and wheels last Saturday, and followed Zepcons advice. Everything went real smooth with no problems!
Thanks again.
Premium & Sport Package
In-Dash GPS
Varex Custom Exhaust
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
PNB19

2 months ago I purchased a set of used OEM 19" Sport wheels with OEM Tires, TPMS Sensors and center caps. I am about to put them on for the first time and was reviewing the process. When I took the wheels in to check the balance the guy mentioned I'd have to get the sensors re-set. I didn't say anything to him, thinking this was an attempt to milk some money out of me. But after thinking about it for a while, I am second guessing myself. Does anybody know how this process will work with sensors that have been previously used with another car?
PNB19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tpms , tpms learn , tpms matching process , tpms program , tpms reprogram