Feeler Thread - independent HVAC controls - Page 6 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Stereo / Electronics

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #101
GoneUpInFlames
Black & Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasNate View Post
Some pics of the head unit completely removed:

Thanks a bunch Nate, that gives me a way better idea of the possibilities of getting a car PC/screen fitted in there. At least there is some sort of mounting bracket/mesh back in there that we can work with?
I'm definitely no good at this personally, but mabye we could get a manufacturer or vendor to be able to custom fabricate a faceplate to accomodate a double-din slot and/or say a 9-10" screen, along with a spot for the touch screen HVAC control component. Food for thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #102
Walter
'11 STI Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneUpInFlames View Post
Thanks a bunch Nate, that gives me a way better idea of the possibilities of getting a car PC/screen fitted in there. At least there is some sort of mounting bracket/mesh back in there that we can work with?
I'm definitely no good at this personally, but mabye we could get a manufacturer or vendor to be able to custom fabricate a faceplate to accomodate a double-din slot and/or say a 9-10" screen, along with a spot for the touch screen HVAC control component. Food for thought.
this

'08 G8 GT : intense stage 1 tune, rotofab, breytons, magnaflow (SOLD)

Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #103
DaMaine1

Ooh pick me pick me! I want to beta test, name your price! BTW I'll beta test the hell out of it! I have a car PC and did the touch screen mod. The only reason I even touch the radio now is for the HVAC settings or the EXT TEMP info.
2009 G8 GXP SRM, HomeLink Visor MOD, Wheel Well Infinity 12" Kappa Sub, Infinity Reference1600a Mono Sub Amp. Infinity 6022i Door speakers in all 4 doors, Infinity REF860 Subs in rear deck. JHP VIM, Back up Camera, Car PC with touch Screen operation, GPS Navigation, Sling Box connectivity, and HD Radio integration.
GTPrix's Re-programmed Atari Gauges, 7" Dual headrest Monitors, VCM OTR CAI
Old 04-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #104
GoneUpInFlames
Black & Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
this
Haha, sorry, I'm all over this thing. Another idea (I'm just full of them, I know ) would be possibly a fiberglass face with brackets to screw in from behind the console mount - meaning around the back of that last picture Nate posted, going around by the glovebox. If it was kept fairly simple, and was limited to just 2 slots, say a 3.5 slot and a 10" LCD slot for a car PC/aftermarket double din unit, then it shouldn't be overly expensive for a custom shop to make/reproduce. We could possibly even get a group buy on them, in different colors. Im limited to a work PC so I'm stuck with paint... bear with my horribly done picture.

The red arrows represent/point to possible locations to screw in a faceplate, as they look like brackets/screw holes. Nate or DaMaine1, if you could verify this that would be awesome. Once again, sorry for the horrid picture This is the extent of my ability to contribute, haha.

Last edited by GoneUpInFlames; 04-16-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Fingers too slow
Old 04-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #105
tolrtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMaine1 View Post
Ooh pick me pick me! I want to beta test, name your price! BTW I'll beta test the hell out of it! I have a car PC and did the touch screen mod. The only reason I even touch the radio now is for the HVAC settings or the EXT TEMP info.
DaMaine1, does the GXP come in single zone? I'll let you know when the units are ready.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #106
h3llphyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolrtd View Post
I'm using a Renesas CPU and a Phillip's transceiver. This setup is used in GMLAN (and most other manufacturer buses, too) OEM applications. The good thing about the embedded controller that I am using is that it is hardwired to only transmit the messages I need, that is, I can't send messages other than the ones I program in. Same goes for receiving. I think this should have no negative impact on the system.
So, a custom setup, gotcha. I was curious if you were just bit blasting out on the network or not (I assumed you weren't, but you never know).
Old 04-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #107
h3llphyre

Quote:
I am looking at this enclosure to fit my USB adapter:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1551RFL.pdf

The USB adapter (for car PC users) will probably be 2 weeks or so by the time I finish the PC board, order it, build it, and test it. At this point, I'll need some beta testers with different trim levels (v6/dual & single zone, gt dual & single, gxp) just to ensure that nothing is different. The test will involve jacking into your CAN bus and running a script on your car PC or laptop to see if you can control the HVAC.

While all of this is going on, the touch screen will probably be a minimum of 1.5 months away. I plan on connecting my touch screen to the USB adapter unit, so if you want to upgrade in the future, it would be plug and play (plug the adapter into the screen vs. a car PC).

I've been thinking about liability issues on my part here... I don't want to A) get sued by GM for using an unlicensed device on their bus or B) unintentionally wreck something. Hopefully I can find some solutions to these problems that put my mind at ease.
Let me know. I'd be willing to help you out. What is the cost of the USB adapter? If it isn't a ton of money, I'd be more than willing to also cover the cost of it, as well as helping you out with some coding.

And purely out of curiosity. I'm not interested in making money off anything like this.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #108
h3llphyre

Quote:
I don't care what you have, if you have a USB port and hyperterminal, you can be a beta tester. But the unit won't be very helpful to you without a car PC in the long run (or a lot of waiting for the touch screen to come).

---
Edit: Also, I would prefer people with *some* technical capability. I assume that would be a given if you plan on taking out your stock head unit, but you should know your electronics 101.
I also have a nice ETX embedded board (Intel Atom on board) that I've been dying to find an excuse to shove into my car. It even has a wide voltage range input.

Send me a PM if you're interested in some help. I'm a EE with a decent amount of embedded experience, just not much CANBus experience. It can't be terribly difficult though.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #109
tolrtd

Ha, dealer said "your gas cap gasket had a bad seal" after I brought it in for the CEL. Translation, "We have no clue what is going on, so we put on a new gas cap and reset the computer."

This weekend I am going to write the code for the USB adapter. I have some makeshift hardware to develop it on. Hopefully I can get a video of me sending the HVAC unit commands from the PC and it doing what I say.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #110
DaMaine1

Quote:
DaMaine1, does the GXP come in single zone? I'll let you know when the units are ready.
Nope all GXP's have dual zone automatic climate controls.
2009 G8 GXP SRM, HomeLink Visor MOD, Wheel Well Infinity 12" Kappa Sub, Infinity Reference1600a Mono Sub Amp. Infinity 6022i Door speakers in all 4 doors, Infinity REF860 Subs in rear deck. JHP VIM, Back up Camera, Car PC with touch Screen operation, GPS Navigation, Sling Box connectivity, and HD Radio integration.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #111
h3llphyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneUpInFlames View Post
Haha, sorry, I'm all over this thing. Another idea (I'm just full of them, I know ) would be possibly a fiberglass face with brackets to screw in from behind the console mount - meaning around the back of that last picture Nate posted, going around by the glovebox. If it was kept fairly simple, and was limited to just 2 slots, say a 3.5 slot and a 10" LCD slot for a car PC/aftermarket double din unit, then it shouldn't be overly expensive for a custom shop to make/reproduce. We could possibly even get a group buy on them, in different colors. Im limited to a work PC so I'm stuck with paint... bear with my horribly done picture.

The red arrows represent/point to possible locations to screw in a faceplate, as they look like brackets/screw holes. Nate or DaMaine1, if you could verify this that would be awesome. Once again, sorry for the horrid picture This is the extent of my ability to contribute, haha.
I spoke with a friend who works for one of the leading manufacturers of CNC machines. He said it wouldn't be that difficult to make up some plates to mount double din radios. He said if I wanted, we could mock something up on my car and if people are interested, maybe we could make some more.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #112
StraightG8

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3llphyre View Post
I spoke with a friend who works for one of the leading manufacturers of CNC machines. He said it wouldn't be that difficult to make up some plates to mount double din radios. He said if I wanted, we could mock something up on my car and if people are interested, maybe we could make some more.
That would be great! Developing this as a total solution is a great way to go, as well. It could be marketed as a stand-alone solution, or a total factory HU replacement kit trim piece ready for a Double-Din plugin.

'09 PBM GT
Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #113
tolrtd

Ok, here's a relatively big update.

I have finished the PC board layout, and they are on order. In an effort to keep these first prototypes down in cost (prototyping can get ridiculously expensive), I got 2 week turn circuit boards.

I also wrote the code that will go onto the boards. Using my makeshift development hardware, I can talk to the embedded control through a serial port, and send commands to make the HVAC do whatever I wish. I then went on and made a PC GUI from my proposed touch screen layout which sends the appropriate commands when you click the buttons. I recorded my PC screen while recording the head unit and you can see the HVAC system being controlled as I press different buttons. It is not perfect yet, but for a first pass, I'd say it is pretty good.

So, this solution will be great for the car PC guys. The embedded touch screen will be up next. I'll get to work on that over the next couple of days.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #114
VegasNate

Great job! I would think that the next step would be to remove the faceplate from the stereo to simulate the removal of the stock head unit and see if your setup still works since that is the way it will be used anyhow.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #115
tolrtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasNate View Post
Great job! I would think that the next step would be to remove the faceplate from the stereo to simulate the removal of the stock head unit and see if your setup still works since that is the way it will be used anyhow.
One step ahead of you... right after I posted the video, I thought of that. I'm sitting in my car now with the glovebox off and the stock head unit unplugged, and it still works like a charm.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #116
matthewo

for the car pc guys, you could sell the interface as a usb interface that runs a software program on the car pc to control the climate settings.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #117
tolrtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewo View Post
for the car pc guys, you could sell the interface as a usb interface that runs a software program on the car pc to control the climate settings.
Yea, this is what I am planning on doing.

FYI, I can control the hazard lights too, and, take a deep breath for this one, fogs & brights on at the same time (no wires to cut, nothing except the right command to send)!

Last edited by tolrtd; 04-18-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Update - fogs & brights
Old 04-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #118
DaMaine1

Wow! Finally someone has cracked the LAN issue. GREAT JOB!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #119
steveua

that is great work! Im really impressed with your embedded programming skills. Having the ability to drop in a double din from a good company with all the bells and whistles whole still having AC controls on a separate screen makes the G8 even more enticing as a used - can't wait to see the finished kit.

G37 (traded)
G8 GT (R.I.P.)
Honda Cr-v (gone, thank God)
1978 Nissan 280-z
1975 Plymouth Fury
Old 04-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #120
DaMaine1

Quote:
One step ahead of you... right after I posted the video, I thought of that. I'm sitting in my car now with the glovebox off and the stock head unit unplugged, and it still works like a charm.
Were you running the engine as well? I'm curious if having the radio disconnected will cause any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread