HELP!! HID's blowing my headlight fuses - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Appearance / Detailing

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Chadoo951
mmmm... Mods...

Default HELP!! HID's blowing my headlight fuses

Hey guys. Just got my HIDs installed.

And my 10 watt fuses keep blowing on the underhood fuse block.

Do I need to upgrade these to a higher wattage?

Because I tried 15 and 20 and those blew as well.

Help!.

-2009 White hot G8GT/ TVS1900 / 72LB injectors / LS9 cam / H&R springs / KOOKS 1 7/8" LT's W/ HF cats / 20X8.5, 20X9.5 TSW nurburging rims/ GXP rear diffuser / Solo Mach Shorty unbalanced cat back / Rotofab intake / Chrome blacked out / LED fogs / DDM 6k 35watt HIDs / SOLD

To come: 09+ CTS-v / C63 AMG coupe
Chadoo951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
91Firehawk
GXPanther

DO NOT UPGRADE TO BIGGER FUSES

you likely have a short somewhere causing the fuse to pop. bigger fuses will only allow more damage to occur to your equipment before the fuse pops.

how quickly does the fuse pop? do the lights come on at all?

i would simplify your setup for debug purposes by disconnected one light and trying one at a time till you find the problem.

electrical stuff can be a pain to troubleshoot.

good luck man
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Chadoo951
mmmm... Mods...

Thank you for your reply!.

I found out the problem. Really weird actually.

Most relay harnesses that I have delt with in the past, only need one side of the factory plug to plug into the relay to make the power from the battery go to the ballasts.

This relay harness from DDM had a it to where you plug in the factory harness on each side to trigger the relay. With both sides plugged into the relay it kept blowing the fuses. But then I was going back to do some trial and error to see of I could fix it. Somehow I forgot to plug in one side of the factory harness into the relay. (leaving the other side of the factory harness plugged into the other side of the relay.. Just like the other relays that I have delt with in the past). And it worked. So, there is just a spare plug that is not being used.

You only need one side of the factory harness to trigger the relay. The other side of the factory harness can dangle there unused. And the relay still brings power from the batter to each of the ballasts.

Just in case anyone else runs into the problem.

-2009 White hot G8GT/ TVS1900 / 72LB injectors / LS9 cam / H&R springs / KOOKS 1 7/8" LT's W/ HF cats / 20X8.5, 20X9.5 TSW nurburging rims/ GXP rear diffuser / Solo Mach Shorty unbalanced cat back / Rotofab intake / Chrome blacked out / LED fogs / DDM 6k 35watt HIDs / SOLD

Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Belo

mine did this. your polarity is reversed. it's best to use a volt meter and make sure your connections are correct. Turn the car on, unplug the factory bulb and find out which end is positive. then connect that end to your ballast. repeat on the other side.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Chadoo951
mmmm... Mods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
mine did this. your polarity is reversed. it's best to use a volt meter and make sure your connections are correct. Turn the car on, unplug the factory bulb and find out which end is positive. then connect that end to your ballast. repeat on the other side.
Right, This would work. But you only NEED one side of the factory harness to be plugged into the relay harness for the HIDs. If you look at the relay harness, on both sides of it, the wires that are supposed to be plugged into the factory harness on each side, the end up being spliced together as they are going into the relay. So it doesnt matter which side is plugged in, or if you only are using one. Either way, the power from that stock harness that you decide to use will trip the relay and send the power to both ballasts still.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
Chadoo951
mmmm... Mods...

Okay. So I was incorrect.

I thought that you didnt need both stock factory plugs to go into both sides of the harness. But it tuns out that each side of the factory plug starts each side of the harness to power each ballast (If that makes sence).

Because tonight. I started the car, and both of the HIDs came on, and then one turned off. So it wasnt getting all the power it needs. So... I tested the wires to find out which one was the ground and which one was the power. And it turns out that the polarities were in fact reversed. And that is what was blowing the fuse. so, I witched the plug around. and plugged it back in. and turned the headlights on. They both came on, and a fuse didnt blow. BUT.... one of the headlights shut off briefly just like last time.

What could be causing this?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
FSTG84ME
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoo951 View Post
Okay. So I was incorrect.

I thought that you didnt need both stock factory plugs to go into both sides of the harness. But it tuns out that each side of the factory plug starts each side of the harness to power each ballast (If that makes sence).

Because tonight. I started the car, and both of the HIDs came on, and then one turned off. So it wasnt getting all the power it needs. So... I tested the wires to find out which one was the ground and which one was the power. And it turns out that the polarities were in fact reversed. And that is what was blowing the fuse. so, I witched the plug around. and plugged it back in. and turned the headlights on. They both came on, and a fuse didnt blow. BUT.... one of the headlights shut off briefly just like last time.

What could be causing this?
DDM stuff is crap....I ordered a harnes from them 6 weeks ago, i cancelled the order 4 weeks ago because they still claimed they didn't have it in stock. I then went on ebay and gotm on for 12 bucks shipped. i only had to connect it tom one side and it has worked perfect every time.

So my ebay 35w 6k HID Kit was $47, and my wiring harness from ebay was $12, total $59 and it works great...
FSTG84ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
DangerousGT

I had this same problem. Its the relay harness, the blue/white wires are backwards so just plug it in so the colors match(backwards) and it will work it just doesn't clip.

Kooks 1 7/8 LTH, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, CAI, HP Tuners, Powder Coated Camaro SS wheels, Blacked out trim.
13.60 @ 104.18 MPH before headers
DangerousGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement