"I wanna go fast!" Ricky Bobby - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Tech Lounge

Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 12-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Mighty Mouse

Default "I wanna go fast!" Ricky Bobby

Hey there. I just have had a love for cars sense I can remember. And when you finally get to that age you want your project to be perfect and you finally have the funds to do it. That's where I'm at right now. Call me crazy or whatever you want. But I would like to take my GT and do the Texas Standing Mile and/or the Bonniville Salt Flats and break or exceed the 200 mph mark and become a member of the 200 mph club in a car that they only made for 2 years stateside. Now I was wondering if I can get some input from the great people on this board to help me reach my goal.
Mighty Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Agose25

200 mph in a G8! Holy chit!! The OEM Bridgestones will need to be disposed of, that is for sure!!

Agose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
L76 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agose25 View Post
200 mph in a G8! Holy chit!! The OEM Bridgestones will need to be disposed of, that is for sure!!

That's what first came to my mind.

Liquid Red G8 GXP. #819 of 1829.
L76 FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
lowstrife
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how

You'll certainly need mods to do that...Fastest I've ever seen a GT go is about 175 too. I'm not sure if the gearing will allow for 200mph either, I think 5th runs out before that.

You'll likely have to be blown, if not cammed. I'd estimate at least 450whp, maybe more depending on the gearing....
lowstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Agose25

A roll cage maybe too...

Old 12-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Mighty Mouse

Well yeah. I was looking into a Ford 9" that one of the venders is putting out so I can swap the 3rd member when I get to the track. And I have looked into blower setups but out at events like that the temps are usually really really high. So I have been looking at a twin turbo setup. Of course everything cool.... tranny, oil coolers, big radator. But I'm thinking to get a 4200lb car to bolt down the mile and get the ET and mph I might have to be up in the 700-750 hp range.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
RamJet

There is a guy on one of these boards that runs the Texas Mile, do a search for Texas Mile and at least one of his posts should come up. He would probably be the best one to talk to.

With nothing to base it on, I'm thinking at least 600 hp and some tape. A splitter might be a good idea too.

Good luck and keep us posted!

1/4 Mile, Very First Run, Stock: 13.66 @ 102.74 w/ a 2.067 60'
1/4 modified 12.49 @ 114

2008 G8 GT MGM, Leather w/ Red Inserts, Sun Roof, 18" Bremmer Wheels
1/4 mile 14.0278 @ 101.49 w/ a 2.2658 60'
DA 2260, Best Run for Lynda
RamJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
SpeedRacerX
Just Click Submit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowstrife View Post
You'll certainly need mods to do that...Fastest I've ever seen a GT go is about 175 too. I'm not sure if the gearing will allow for 200mph either, I think 5th runs out before that.

You'll likely have to be blown, if not cammed. I'd estimate at least 450whp, maybe more depending on the gearing....
Someone ran the calcs & graphs before based on the stock rear gearing and it is possible with the right amount of HP to surpass 200 with our stock 2.92 ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
Well yeah. I was looking into a Ford 9" that one of the venders is putting out so I can swap the 3rd member when I get to the track. And I have looked into blower setups but out at events like that the temps are usually really really high. So I have been looking at a twin turbo setup. Of course everything cool.... tranny, oil coolers, big radator. But I'm thinking to get a 4200lb car to bolt down the mile and get the ET and mph I might have to be up in the 700-750 hp range.
I know Patrick G just ran the Texas Mile this year and hit 169 mph into a bad headwind with 506 rwhp = approx 610-630 motor hp (has a stall which lowers the wheel #).

As far as HP needed to break 200 mph: old rule of thumb was 10 hp for an extra 1 mph but it's on a "downward hockey stick" the faster you go meaning the faster you go the more hp you will need to go another 1 mph and the hp need just gets higher and higher per 1 mph.

I would guess you would need about 730 Motor HP to do it.

Please take EVERY safety precaution and try on a closed course only.
2009 GT, Kooks 1-7/8 Mids, RPM Tune, Borla, Vararam, HSRK, P&P TB, UPR CCan, Mobil 1, Speedhut Gauges, FE3, Whiteline, Pedders, Summer MRR on 255/295, Winter Beyern on 245, CTS-V Fr Brembos, SS Rotors, Akebono Pads, Rolled/Pulled Fndrs, BMR Sways, Spohn Links & Arms, Sprt Pedals, Pont Shifter, Camaro Trans Pan, Pont Mats, Glove Box Light, MSM Lower Grills, CF Tail, GXP Diff, VG Fin, 20% Tint, 6000K HIDs, LED Fogs, GrafxWerks, Black Trim/Mirrors/Grills, Diffusr Lens/Amber Lens/Lowr Tails Tint
SpeedRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
lowstrife
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacerX View Post
Someone ran the calcs & graphs before based on the stock rear gearing and it is possible with the right amount of HP to surpass 200 with our stock 2.92 ratio.
Makes sense. I'm sure the gear is tall enough for 200mph, but I would imagine that the RPM drop from 5th-6th @ WOT would be quite big.

For the texas mile, needing that kind of power you'll also need to have traction off the start to get to 200mph before you run out of space. You'll need to dump a ton of money into the car to do this I'd imagine. Full drivetrain overhaul (stock tranny won't handle the kind of power you'll need), blown motor, proably new rear-end (not sure if stock diff will handle that power either), and then you want to start worrying about methods of controlling the car at those kind of speeds. Splitter and\or rear wing to keep that thing on the ground would be pretty important.

Huge project to hit 200mph, that's forsure.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Mighty Mouse

Well that's the plan. It's not in the imedate future but I know it's going to happen. I have a little daughter and I plan on working on it with her. It's going to take tons of elbow grease and deep pockets but I think I can do it. Yeah so about 700-750 HP I'm thinking. Built 4L60E with the 9" and axles should get my the drivetrain. I'm just trying to find a good Twin turbo setup for it. Maybe I'll have to see how much it would be to get a kit with GT35R's in the kit.

Does anyone know about light weight stuff I can get to try to cut weight. I know lighter rims... but anything else? I wanna go for lower rotating mass so it's not straining so hard to push the car.

Thank you all for the great advice. It helps out so much. And I am going to follow all the track safty to make sure everyone watching and myself don't get injured.... But imagine. 200mph plus in a 4-door family car.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Agose25

If you got really deep pockets you could always just go get a ZR1 and call it a day...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Steve GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agose25 View Post
If you got really deep pockets you could always just go get a ZR1 and call it a day...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Probably cheaper than making a G8 go 200 mph in the Texas mile

Pat G Custom Cam, Yank 3200 Torque Converter, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, FAST 102 LSXR, and a Rotofab Intake. Tuned by Pat G.
Steve GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Dave Ga

A Lingenfelter ZR1 is definitely not a cheaper route but, certainly easier! I would say good luck on your goal but, its my goal too soooo.......ah good luck anyway!
09 PBM GT,1 of 1 manual GT,camaro 3.42 rear end, gforce 300M axles, ZR1 clutch kit from Katech, MGW shifter, Rotofab, ARH long tube headers, high flow cats, magnaflow catback, TVS1900 11lbs of boost, custom boost friendly cam, WCCH ported and polished heads, pedders track 2 Xa, BMR subframe connectors,Baer Big brake kit, 20" Asanti AF112 and 305/35/18 MT drag radials for the track on CCW 18 x 10"
Dave Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
FSTG8
North East G8 Owners Club

might be possible... a 1200 hp car does 268.... (that 1200 hp car weights in at 4000 lbs) why not a 800-900 hp G8 doing 200mph?

just need different tires...

My car is stock

Some vids of my car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EqWj7tXq8s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlsMds7zpa8
Northeast G8 Owners Club (teaser trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q24QUMhm8fc
FSTG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
Mighty Mouse

@FSTG8 Yeah the stockers are not really going to hold up to it!

@DaveG8 That's what I like to hear! And you are well on your way by the looks of it.

I would really be intrested in starting to test out the best bang for the buck builds on these cars for not only power but weight. Cut weight, increase power, and car seat mod and call it a day! HAHA.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #16
lowstrife
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how

Unless you want to completely strip the interior, you could probably loose seats, trunk lining and such like that. Much more though... I'm not so sure.

You'll have to do some major work out back, because you'll need some MAJOR tires on those rear wheels. North of 300 width forsure.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #17
Mighty Mouse

Yeah I was thinking about doing the whole car. Door panals come off. take out the extra bracing and tin in the door and finish it by mounting the buttons on the door tin. But anyone every heard of lighter body panals? Anyone have any experance with a land speed car before? Maybe you can share some tips and secrets.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
bostonf4$

I don't think it'll take anywhere near 700whp to go 200mph, nowhere even close to that, I think you could do it w/ arounf 450rwhp, and the right gearing/tires.

Umm, you see the mods in my sig below on that GTO - well my garmin told me that A4 GTO was good for 161mph (in a dream of course) and still had revs left......

I think a 450whp G8 w/ proper gears and tires and maybe some spoiler add-ons could definitely see 200
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
SpeedRacerX
Just Click Submit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonf4$ View Post
I don't think it'll take anywhere near 700whp to go 200mph, nowhere even close to that, I think you could do it w/ arounf 450rwhp, and the right gearing/tires.

Umm, you see the mods in my sig below on that GTO - well my garmin told me that A4 GTO was good for 161mph (in a dream of course) and still had revs left......

I think a 450whp G8 w/ proper gears and tires and maybe some spoiler add-ons could definitely see 200
There is a big difference between 161 and 200 mph in the HP it takes to get there.

It takes a ZR1 with about 560 rwhp, MUCH less drag and frontal area, 700+ less pounds, and a manual transmission to reach 205 mph. That = 2.73 rwhp per mph.

A Bugatti Veyron SS needs about 1050 rwhp to reach 268 = 3.92 rwhp per mph.

If a stock G8 GT Auto has 361 hp and can reach (limiters off) 165? To get to 200 mph is 35 mph to tackle. This extra 35 mph with the old rule of thumb of 10 motor hp per extra mph means it will need 350 motor hp for a total of 710 motor hp = approx 589 rwhp = 2.95 rwhp per mph. Since that # is a little more than the Vette, it needs it to overcome the G8's weight and drag.

A G8 would need about 1400 HP to hit the Veyron SS's 268. Oh, and a 7 or 8-speed manual transmission too! LOL.
2009 GT, Kooks 1-7/8 Mids, RPM Tune, Borla, Vararam, HSRK, P&P TB, UPR CCan, Mobil 1, Speedhut Gauges, FE3, Whiteline, Pedders, Summer MRR on 255/295, Winter Beyern on 245, CTS-V Fr Brembos, SS Rotors, Akebono Pads, Rolled/Pulled Fndrs, BMR Sways, Spohn Links & Arms, Sprt Pedals, Pont Shifter, Camaro Trans Pan, Pont Mats, Glove Box Light, MSM Lower Grills, CF Tail, GXP Diff, VG Fin, 20% Tint, 6000K HIDs, LED Fogs, GrafxWerks, Black Trim/Mirrors/Grills, Diffusr Lens/Amber Lens/Lowr Tails Tint
SpeedRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
bostonf4$

So you're telling me a G8 w/ maggie, headers, exhaust, intake, proper tires is gonna do what - 175? NO F'N way that a stock GT is capable of 165 and the same car w/ that much more balls can't get close to 200, I don't care about the math I simply don't believe it.

This guy is talking about texas mile or salt flats, not a short runway - you have as much room as you want to stretch the car's legs, SH*T go youtube some crap and see what stock cars are capable of - a stock LS3 auto vette will bury the speedo @ 186mph on the street...is probably more like 175 in reality but STILL
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
200 mph , fast , g8 gt , mighty mouse