Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Tech Lounge

Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
cmlease

Default Steering Wheel Shake

So, my car developed this steering wheel shake. I got new tires (hankook evo ventus k12), still have the shake (highway speeds, mainly ~55-70ish...though i think i'm going crazy and starting to think i can feel it slower). I got the tires road force balanced, each wheel was off. Now i still have the shake, just less.

However, I had noticed something. I had taken one wheel off (front) to look (pretend i knew wtf i was looking at). With the wheel off, i spun the rotor, and it didn't spin smoothly. It was almost like the rotor wasn't smooth, as it would be smooth for like 3/4s of a rotation, then 1/4 felt like it was brushing the brakes.

Could this be a cause of the steering wheel shake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Lurch

Could be anything from warped rotors to control arms.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
mitchogaard
Not-so-Senior Member

Let me know about this when you figure it out. I've tried balancing and alignment and rotors. I think I have come to the conclusion that my winter set is not perfectly round or something. I don't have the problem as much/at all with the Potenzas.
Winters: General Altimax Arctics riding on OZ - MSW Type 15 17"s
Kid tested! Mother approved!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Trent09SRM

Majority of my shake went away when I replaced the stock Potenzas with the Breyton's and road force balanced Cotinental DWS's.

I still had some and what I thought mostly was when the tires were cold, but I did notice the shake to still be there almost all the time. It just seemed more prevalent when they were cold.

This last weekend I replaced the stock brakes with a set of SS Brembo takeoffs and now the steering wheel is perfectly PERFECTLY still. No shake or vibration of any kind whatsoever. My problem seemed to be attributed to both the tires and rotors.

Best of luck to you in finding the gremlin!
- Custom PCM & TCM tune done via HP Tuners
- 19" Breyton GTS-AV, Hyper Silver, Continental DWS, 14" Brembo's
- DDM 5000k HID's / 68 LED Fogs
- Suede subwoofer and amp enclosure in trunk
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
madhunter

After looking at a lot of threads about this, I am 90% or so convinced it is a bushing that when cold cold allows for more play than warm. Different tires seem to exacerbate the problem but NEVER take it away it seems. I have yet to see a person with new bushing complain though (although I would be happy if some one would chime in).
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
GMCustomerService

Dear madhunter,

I have read your post about the issue with your steering wheel shake. Would you mind providing me additional details about your situation? I would like to have all the details from the beginning to the current time. If you would like to provide me with this information, feel free to send me a private message.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service
Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlease View Post
So, my car developed this steering wheel shake....With the wheel off, i spun the rotor, and it didn't spin smoothly. It was almost like the rotor wasn't smooth, as it would be smooth for like 3/4s of a rotation, then 1/4 felt like it was brushing the brakes.

Could this be a cause of the steering wheel shake?
Yes, it very well could be. If the rotors do not rotate fully with ease, I'd have them looked at. If your under 3 years/36k, I'd take it to the dealership for rotor resurfacing. If your over 3 years/36k you may look into replacing the rotors or having a shop resurface them.

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Dousail2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerService View Post
Dear madhunter,

I have read your post about the issue with your steering wheel shake. Would you mind providing me additional details about your situation? I would like to have all the details from the beginning to the current time. If you would like to provide me with this information, feel free to send me a private message.

WOW! GM Customer Service right here on the G8 Board. This is great. Especially since I have this exact problem. Starts coming on at about 60 mph and goes away above 75. Started happening after about 5000 miles. Mine too also lessens after several minutes at speed but never totally goes away. I have never been hard on the brakes so warped rotors doesn't seem right to me. Really excited about figuring out what is going on here without the typical 3 visits to the dealer before they mess something totally unrelated up that requires another 2 more visits to get corrected. But that is another story. Seriously, I have been reluctant to take it in for this problem after that first incident, but would really like to get rid of the "shakes".
VMR Solar Rain V701 Staggered 19x9.5+50 & 19x8.5+35, Hankook V12 285/35 & 255/40
Stoptech, HPS, 12.27 sec 114.6 mph 1/4, 1.96 60ft

Put Jesus Christ in the drivers seat
Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
shoprat

I've had the same problem since I bought the car new. From the numerous complaints on here and no real solution I've never even mentioned it at the dealership. Mine starts around 55mph and is gone by 65mph.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
DAPG8GT

Rotors warped caused this on mine too.Got new rotors and roadforce balance about 10k ago all good now..I could tell my rotors were warped though pulsed really bad on hard stops.
2009 G8 GT magnaflo cat back, RotoFab,a little computer massage,HSRK,BMR swaybars,poly bushings, FE3 shocks/struts, 20" machined SS rims,tasteful tint, HIDs,Debadged,SOLO HFC's, shorty's, CTS V Brembos That guy passing you, And yeah those marks are mine!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
BMan

New tires did seem to bring on my issues. I have the 19" rims that came with the bridgestone potenzas...never had a vibration with these. Enter new Goodyear ultra high performance all season tires...vibration from the beginning. Went back to installer and they rebalanced...no difference. Went to independent shop for road force balance....no difference. Went to dealer for another road force balance-they said the tires I bought had stiffer sidewall ratings than OEM Bridgestones and could be acsentuating any rotational imbalances. They road forced balanced...slightly better but still present. GM comes out with a TSB for lower control arm bushings...dealer does tsb. Vibration is gone and has been for months.

Vibration seemed very inconsistent....sometimes worse than other times for seemingly no rhyme/reason...cold temps may have contributed though. Check out that tsb if you are having this problem.

New ride: 2011 BMW 335i XDrive MSport
Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
cmlease

Thanks for all the info guys! It's at the stealership now (this is the 4th dealer i'm trying...hopefully they don't **** anything up...they came highly recommended to me by a board member). I had a host of other little warranty issues (steering wheel, e-brake light, and the clip on a scoop had broken) so figured i'd get everything looked at at once. I'm just praying they fix it without breaking anything... i had the rotors resurfaced at a diff gm dealership about 5-10k miles ago, and am still under warranty (<22k miles and 3 yrs is up in nov). Hopefully i don't get any crap for having the car tuned w/ headers and aftermarket wheels...lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
GMCustomerService

shoprat,

Thank you for posting on this thread. However, even if you or any other vehicle owner feels that there is no real solution to this situation, it needs to be brought to the GM techs attention so that they can get other people from General Motors involved. This would also assist me in helping you guys.

The first step in the process of anything that I might be able to assist with, is having the vehicle into the dealership within the past 30 days for diagnosis. After this is done and I am provided with an update then I can investigate further to see what I avenues that I have to help. I can’t guarantee anything but this is the first step that needs to be taken.

Yes, there are other things that factor in, but this is researched on an individual basis because each persons situation is unique.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
GMCustomerService

Dousail2,

Thank you for posting your situation with your 2009 G8. I see that you have written that you have been experiencing the “shakes” since about 5, 000 miles. How many miles do you currently have on the vehicle? When was the last time that you have had the vehicle into the dealership and discussed this issue with them?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Perhaps

For what it's worth, I had a steering wheel shake at around 65mph.
I brought it to the dealership for the wheels to be rebalanced.
It was better but the shake was still there.
I brought it in for a 2nd rebalance and it finally went away.

Sometimes it takes more than one time to get things taken care of.
Even if it's the same repair work being done.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
BigElm

Well, my issue has been after a trying time with the dealer, their Parts Mngr. took the initiative of helping me out since he owns a G8 as well. However swapping out the aftermarket wheels (again) and putting the stock GXP's, the shimmering was there, just like it was when I bought the car. Re-balancing the stocks didn't help. We took the aftermarket wheels for re-balancing (different shop). Installed one wheel and test drove everytime until all 4 were installed. The shimmering seemed to have reduced but the car was veering left since they replaced the bushings as well. They never got the alignment right. After taking it to another shop, they fixed the alignment.

Now the shimmering is becoming more noticeable again. I don't want to go through the headache of swapping back to OEM wheels to try and fix the problem since I know it's NOT the wheels.

I don't want my car to be an experimental frog in a lab. Is there a TSB for the control arms for the GXP? Does it matter if it's a GT or GXP? Are the control arms the answer?

If there is a solution or fix for these, someone please tell me.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
cmlease

well, update about my car -

the idiot dealership called and said "the vibration must be caused by your aftermarket wheels, or maybe the tires themselves", and that's it. that is exactly the OPPOSITE of helpful. GMCustomerService - this is why i hate your dealerships. If they said "this wheel is the one with a defect, you need it replaced" or something, that'd be fine. But instead they just say "i dunno" and walk away...what the hell good is that? So i guess my next step is going to be to try replacing the rotors on my own and see if that helps.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
GT Ghost

I've been noticing a little shake as well in my car. At first I thought I was crazy but it was really shaking. Like around 60 mph braking I can feel it.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
G84ME!

Ah, yet another little annoying quality issue with the G8. I've had the same issue for a long time now but since they keep playing STUPID (GOD forgive me, this is getting old) with everything else I have not brought this up to the useless dealerships.

Thank you for this thread, there have been several suggestions on what took away the problem so I will look into this further when I have some time. Who knows, maybe I'll mention it to the dealership so they can gave me the same old line "it's normal" or blame some obscure aftermarket part for the cause.

I've had mine rebalanced SEVERAL times from 3 different locations and it remains, even after the road force balance from the dealership (they blamed two of my tires).

GM Customer service, thank you for being here...let me tell you, this is the first and LAST GM I EVER buy. I have never had this type of treatment from any dearlship system in my life...not from Mazda nor Lexus. Frankly...it's pathetic, just like the little nagging quality issues with this car. I LOVE my G8 for everything it is and ignore what it isn't, but again this is the first and LAST GM I buy.

Follower of CHRIST JESUS!

"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of GOD?" Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
GMCustomerService

GT Ghost,

Thank you for posting on this thread. I have documented the situations that you and the other members are experiencing. With me doing this, other’s within General Motors will be reviewing this information. Once I get an update of what their findings are, I will be happy to provide this information to you guys as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread