Dealer quote for all 4 corner brake job. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 
Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Suspension / Brakes

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Dan1G8
Senior Member
 
Dan1G8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dacula,Ga.
Posts: 362
Default Dealer quote for all 4 corner brake job.

Including labor,turning rotors...etc

Original GM pads =$509 + tax. Too high?

Durastop pads = $300 + tax. Durastop anygood?
__________________
2000 GP GT -Gone

2008 PBM G8 GT
Dan1G8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
JTW
You've got mail, YAAAAY!
 
JTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,945
Default

I got a set of Hawk pads for the fronts for 90$ including tax and shipping. My mechanic is installing them for 50 bucks, which includes turning the rotors. Even if the rotors need to be replaced, he only charges 50 bucks an axel. I would go to the brake section and check out what others are doing for brakes. Good luck!

Oh yeah, there are four things a man needs in life:

A good woman to spend your life with
A best friend who loves you no matter what
A good butcher who saves the best cut for you
A good mechanic who loves cars and respects your wallet
__________________


2009 GT: MSM, Sunroof Delete, Onyx/Red, Sport/Premium
Original owner and proud of it!
1987 Porsche 911 M491 Turbo Body Carrera Cabriolet
1971 Dodge Charger 500, 383 #s matching
Go:
Rotofab CAI, Solo Axle-Back
X-Pipe, Cortex 93 tune with Rotofab ad-on
Hawk performance brake pads
JTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
bostonf4$
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,890
Default

I replaced all 4 rotors w/ better aftermarket slotted rotors (DBA/powerslot), swapped the original lines for russel stainless, replaced the pads w/ hawk ceramics, and flushed the fluid - had my mechanic do the install - total $950 including all parts/labor

You're talking about just swapping the pads and machining the rotors for more than 1/2 that - yeah that's expensive
__________________
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
courtroom19
Senior Member
 
courtroom19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton AB
Posts: 2,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1G8 View Post
Including labor,turning rotors...etc

Original GM pads =$509 + tax. Too high?

Durastop pads = $300 + tax. Durastop anygood?
Durastop pads are good. Usually they are ceramic. In Canada they come with a lifetime parts only warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW View Post
I got a set of Hawk pads for the fronts for 90$ including tax and shipping. My mechanic is installing them for 50 bucks, which includes turning the rotors. Even if the rotors need to be replaced, he only charges 50 bucks an axel. I would go to the brake section and check out what others are doing for brakes. Good luck!

Oh yeah, there are four things a man needs in life:

A good woman to spend your life with
A best friend who loves you no matter what
A good butcher who saves the best cut for you
A good mechanic who loves cars and respects your wallet
So $90 parts plus $50 lab = $140 for one axle

OP's post was only $150/axle. Sounds like a good deal to me...

Also, any shop out there should not charge any extra labour if the rotors end up needing replacement. They've already got the rotor off to machine it. They have to put a rotor back on to the car one way or another. Either the one they just removed to machine, or a brand new one. There is no extra labour involved.
__________________
Need Wheels or Tires? I can help.
09 MGM GT 1SD With Roof, ~ 30K KM... For Sale
09 PSM G8 GXP M6 (1 of 9)SOLD
courtroom19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
PONY MAN
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A house [shrug]
Posts: 2,642
Default

I'm not familiar with DuraStop, but I believe they're made by ACDelco. I posed the question a long time ago on a separate thread, of who makes the OEM brake pads and have yet to receive an answer. I can't speak pertaining to the difference is between ACDelco's DuraStop and what comes originally from General Motors. Five hundred dollars plus tax from a stealership is somewhat reasonable, all things considered. GL!!!
__________________
"The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness". -Bob Marley







PONY MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
courtroom19
Senior Member
 
courtroom19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton AB
Posts: 2,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
I'm not familiar with DuraStop, but I believe they're made by ACDelco. I posed the question a long time ago on a separate thread, of who makes the OEM brake pads and have yet to receive an answer. I can't speak pertaining to the difference is between ACDelco's DuraStop and what comes originally from General Motors. Five hundred dollars plus tax from a stealership is somewhat reasonable, all things considered. GL!!!
Correct, DuraStop is ACDelco.
Correct, ACDelco makes the OEM pads.
ACDelco pads differ slightly from OEM, But retain the same qualities of stopping & pedal feel.

If you're going the ACDelco route, Make sure they are the ceramic version...much quieter.

http://www.acdelco.com/parts/brakes/...ic-brake-pads/
__________________
Need Wheels or Tires? I can help.
09 MGM GT 1SD With Roof, ~ 30K KM... For Sale
09 PSM G8 GXP M6 (1 of 9)SOLD
courtroom19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
DilligafDave
Senior Member
 
DilligafDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Western NY
Posts: 226
Default

Just got my brake stuff today:
Centric F and R preferred rotors
Centric F and R posi-quiet ceramic pads
$395 shipped from rockauto

Russel stainless brake lines $125 from maryland speed

ATE Super blue racing brake fluid from tirerack, $22 shipped

labor will cost me a case of beer, i will be doing most of the work, but at my friends house on his lift in his garage and his tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW View Post
Oh yeah, there are four things a man needs in life:

A good woman to spend your life with
A best friend who loves you no matter what
A good butcher who saves the best cut for you
A good mechanic who loves cars and respects your wallet
I always thought it was:
1. a woman thats great with the kids.
2. a woman thats great in bed.
3. a woman thats a great cook.
4. to never let these 3 women meet each other!
__________________
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited 4DR - Dark Grey Metallic
2009.1 G8 GT - Panther Black Metallic, Sport and Premium Packages - TRADED IN 9-9-11
DilligafDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Back in a Pontiac
Senior Member
 
Back in a Pontiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,119
Default

guy is asking about getting a brake job at a dealer and people compare it to trading a buddy a case of beer- come on now, lol

I know the guy who makes the pads so he is giving me pads for free in exchange for a hot dog, and my mechanic buddy is installing them in exchange for a gatorade so its a win-win for me
Back in a Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
DilligafDave
Senior Member
 
DilligafDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Western NY
Posts: 226
Default

sometimes its nice to compare a dealer quote to what people can get when they do it themselves. just throwing more info out there for him to make an educated decision.

i dont post often but i try to be helpful when i do. although i know you were mostly sarcastic, and its just an online forum. i dont find your post helpful, i atleast tried.
__________________
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited 4DR - Dark Grey Metallic
2009.1 G8 GT - Panther Black Metallic, Sport and Premium Packages - TRADED IN 9-9-11
DilligafDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
PONY MAN
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A house [shrug]
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in a Pontiac View Post
guy is asking about getting a brake job at a dealer and people compare it to trading a buddy a case of beer- come on now, lol

I know the guy who makes the pads so he is giving me pads for free in exchange for a hot dog, and my mechanic buddy is installing them in exchange for a gatorade so its a win-win for me
Well, maybe the service advisor likes hot dogs and Gatorade, it doesn't hurt to ask does it??...
__________________
"The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness". -Bob Marley







PONY MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Back in a Pontiac
Senior Member
 
Back in a Pontiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DilligafDave View Post
sometimes its nice to compare a dealer quote to what people can get when they do it themselves. just throwing more info out there for him to make an educated decision.

i dont post often but i try to be helpful when i do. although i know you were mostly sarcastic, and its just an online forum. i dont find your post helpful, i atleast tried.

my post isnt helpful at all, thats the point of it
neither is saying your going to trade your buddy a case of beer or someone saying you can buy the parts for $xx and do it yourself- thats not what he is asking- he is asking if it sounds reasonable.

Everyone on this earth knows you will pay a premium at a dealership, so you cant compare a friend trading labor and buying aftermarket parts online to getting OEM at a dealer.
The benefit- alot of local shops are idiots and they lie, MY OWN "FRIEND" who I knew for 17 years did work for me on my truck and he didnt do as he said, he took a short cut- so you know what? If I aint turning the wrench Im going to the most legitimate vendor I can find because you might pay more but at least you dont get the reach around.
Back in a Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
courtroom19
Senior Member
 
courtroom19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton AB
Posts: 2,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1G8 View Post
Including labor,turning rotors...etc

Original GM pads =$509 + tax. Too high?

Durastop pads = $300 + tax. Durastop anygood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW View Post
I got a set of Hawk pads for the fronts for 90$ including tax and shipping. My mechanic is installing them for 50 bucks, which includes turning the rotors. Even if the rotors need to be replaced, he only charges 50 bucks an axel. I would go to the brake section and check out what others are doing for brakes. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtroom19 View Post
Durastop pads are good. Usually they are ceramic. In Canada they come with a lifetime parts only warranty.



So $90 parts plus $50 lab = $140 for one axle

OP's post was only $150/axle. Sounds like a good deal to me...

Also, any shop out there should not charge any extra labour if the rotors end up needing replacement. They've already got the rotor off to machine it. They have to put a rotor back on to the car one way or another. Either the one they just removed to machine, or a brand new one. There is no extra labour involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in a Pontiac View Post
my post isnt helpful at all, thats the point of it
neither is saying your going to trade your buddy a case of beer or someone saying you can buy the parts for $xx and do it yourself- thats not what he is asking- he is asking if it sounds reasonable.

Everyone on this earth knows you will pay a premium at a dealership, so you cant compare a friend trading labor and buying aftermarket parts online to getting OEM at a dealer.
The benefit- alot of local shops are idiots and they lie, MY OWN "FRIEND" who I knew for 17 years did work for me on my truck and he didnt do as he said, he took a short cut- so you know what? If I aint turning the wrench Im going to the most legitimate vendor I can find because you might pay more but at least you dont get the reach around.
So for a $10 premium the OP can get his brakes done at the dealership & have a lifetime (parts only) warranty on the pads & have a brake pad that performs equivalently to the OEM pad. A pad that's D3EA tested/certified & manufactured by the same company that makes the OEM pads!
__________________
Need Wheels or Tires? I can help.
09 MGM GT 1SD With Roof, ~ 30K KM... For Sale
09 PSM G8 GXP M6 (1 of 9)SOLD
courtroom19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #13
mongosG8
Senior Member
 
mongosG8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Connecticut,
Posts: 1,343
Default

I wouldn't put the stock crap back on my car if they did it for free. Sounds expensive IMO but dealers love to rape you on labor. GM rotors suck..their pads are decent.. will give them that.

For peace of mind at least you will get a warranty through the dealer.. You will need it.. I'm sure the rotors will warp again like mine did ...Twice!! Ended up going after market DBAs w/ Hawk pads. Was like night & day.
__________________
2009 White Hot G8 GT Onyx/Red Interior Sport/Prem no roof
Intake: Volant CAI Exhaust: Borla Cat back Tune: SC Tint: 20% around
Other: Black Hood Scoops w/ Mod
/ GXP Fascia /GXP Diffuser 1 blk 1 white/ Roto Fab rad cover/ Stagrd 20" Polished Camaro SS wheels /Crystal Clear markers/ Shark fin/ Infinity 6032si/

"Never mind that S*** ...Here comes Mongo!"
"Blazing Saddles"


mongosG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Dan1G8
Senior Member
 
Dan1G8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dacula,Ga.
Posts: 362
Default

I appreciate the input and I have a coworker who offered to do the job, but insists that I buy new rotors because of the mileage on these. I haven't taken time to research the cost of rotors be it original or after market.The reason I'm thinking of having the dealer do it is I need the trans flushed plus other service and would like to get it all done at the same time. This is my DD and the less time down the better.
__________________
2000 GP GT -Gone

2008 PBM G8 GT
Dan1G8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
hayabusa160
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hazlet nj
Posts: 1,248
Default

509 sounds about right for a brake job. esp front and back. when i was working at honda we charged like 220 for front brakes.

a local machine shop charges 12 bucks to cut a rotor plus the down time id rather do the brake job myself and replace the rotors with oem replacments and better pads. it will end up less then 500 still
__________________
http://www.g8board.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic4288_1.gif
Kooks long tubes, Kooks axle backs, rotofab cai, ported tb, koni yellow shocks, h&r springs, bmr bushings kit, rear toe and traction arms. Bmr sway bars. forgestar f10 20x9.5 35 offset 275/30/20, 20x10.5 42 offset 285/30/20
hayabusa160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2007-2008, G8Board.com

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.