Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Tech Lounge

Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
DaveN308
'08 LR GT #772

Default How to remove the battery

For all those who have changed their battery, is there an "easy" way to change it? I have the service manuals and basically I read I have to remove the back seat in order to get the side trim panel out? What is your experience?

I need a new battery and I'd hate for the "trained professionals" at the local Sears to figure out how to get the battery out.

Dave
DaveN308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
airtoolman

I don't know if there is an "easy" way, but it isn't too bad. It is the same process to replace a bulb in the tail light. Just a matter of removing the clips and such that hold the trunk trim pieces. I think it took me less than five minutes.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
DaveN308
'08 LR GT #772

Thanks. When the service manual stated that the rear seat bottom and back have to be replaced, I wondered if there was an easier method.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
JimmyJazz

You lift the lower panel of the trunk. Unscrew the the four bolt/hooks out of the plastic lip on the back of the trunk. Remove the plastic lip. Remove two big push pins from the cover on the battery side. Fold/move the cover towards the middle of the trunk. d/c the battey cables. Remove one (or two, I cant remember)nuts from the top of the rack and unclip the top. Remove two bolts from the side of battery rack. Then the battery SLIDES out sideways. The fusebox on the top of the battery stays in place on top of the rack. r&r the vent tube before and after sliding the old out and the new in.
'09 Pacific Slate G8 GT "stock" 1900 Magnacharger, installed and tuned by Texas Speed and Performance. 441 rwtq, 441 rwhp. Rotofab intake, Kooks 1 7/8" lt's,cats, midpipe, GXP mufflers. Pedders lowered touring package. Baer Pro front brakes, Breyton GTS AV 19x8.5, Michelin Pilot Sport a/s tire's. '78 ElCamino
JimmyJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
Gtzg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post
You lift the lower panel of the trunk. Unscrew the the four bolt/hooks out of the plastic lip on the back of the trunk. Remove the plastic lip. Remove two big push pins from the cover on the battery side. Fold/move the cover towards the middle of the trunk. d/c the battey cables. Remove one (or two, I cant remember)nuts from the top of the rack and unclip the top. Remove two bolts from the side of battery rack. Then the battery SLIDES out sideways. The fusebox on the top of the battery stays in place on top of the rack. r&r the vent tube before and after sliding the old out and the new in.
exactly what he said i changed mine a couple of weeks back
2009 PBM G8 GT - TVS 1900, DOD Delete Kit With Custom Grind Cam by Pat G, 1 7/8 Kooks LTs, Full 3in Kooks Exhaust, No Cats, Roto fab, 65lb Fast Injectors, Magnavolt BAP, JHP Triple Guage Pod and Tuned by Dan.
Best 1/4 Time: 11.34@124mph Maggie set up sold!
Gtzg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
DaveN308
'08 LR GT #772

Perfect. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
macvangelist

Just curious--how many miles are on your car? Is it the original battery? I'm wondering how long I'll get out of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN308 View Post
For all those who have changed their battery, is there an "easy" way to change it? I have the service manuals and basically I read I have to remove the back seat in order to get the side trim panel out? What is your experience?

I need a new battery and I'd hate for the "trained professionals" at the local Sears to figure out how to get the battery out.

Dave

SBM | Premium & Sport + Roof | Staggered Camaro 20" Wheels | 35/20 Tint - SOLD but missed...

macvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
airtoolman

Quote:
Nice job! That is what it should say in book!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
DaveN308
'08 LR GT #772

Quote:
Originally Posted by macvangelist View Post
Just curious--how many miles are on your car? Is it the original battery? I'm wondering how long I'll get out of mine...
I have only ~25,000 miles on my '08 GT. I've put it away every winter, so it becomes my daily driver in the nice months. It is the original battery and I've stored it each winter without a battery tender hooked up. I started getting the dreaded "slow" crank and decided it was time to change the battery out.

I read in one of the other "battery" posts that others here are only getting ~3-4 winters (if they store them) out of the battery.

PS: Car trouble seems to happen to me all at once as my truck was out of commission. The only reliable vehicle I have now is the Vette and it's November in Indiana!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
DaveN308
'08 LR GT #772

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtoolman View Post
Nice job! That is what it should say in book!
I agree. While the service manual is better than others (ie my '05 Vette's), in this case it had me cross referencing a half dozen different section, including tearing out the rear seat cushion and rear seat back. Thanks to the simple instructions, I had all the trim out of the way so Sears could swap batteries. I ended up going with their Diehard Gold series (3 years replacement with 64 months prorated).
Old 12-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
acjames

I had to change mine today. I didnt know anything about the vent tube and disconnected it. Anyone know where it actually connects to on the car?
2008 Pontiac G8 GT #415 of 88
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, New Era OTR CAI, Tune(next)
acjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
JimmyJazz

It goes out through a hole almost straight down.
'09 Pacific Slate G8 GT "stock" 1900 Magnacharger, installed and tuned by Texas Speed and Performance. 441 rwtq, 441 rwhp. Rotofab intake, Kooks 1 7/8" lt's,cats, midpipe, GXP mufflers. Pedders lowered touring package. Baer Pro front brakes, Breyton GTS AV 19x8.5, Michelin Pilot Sport a/s tire's. '78 ElCamino
JimmyJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
SBM G8 GT

Quote:
I know this thread is almost a year old, but wanted to thank you! Had to change the battery last night and this write-up was perfect.
Advertisement