Spark Plug Boot Protectors? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > V8 Engine Tech (L76/LS3)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
RedWolf

Default Spark Plug Boot Protectors?

Do the spark plug boot protectors really do anything? I swapped my wires out this last weekend and I noticed that the metal protectors retain alot of heat. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why they are needed or can I just ditch them? It would seem that those protectors would retain the heat instead of let the heat dissipate without them. Any techies out there that can shed some light on this for me?
RedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
BLKG8

Do you have headers? Most people use them because after they install headers the spark plug wires become very close to the headers and they could easily be burned and damaged, therefore the need for spark plug wire covers.
BLKG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
hornetball

They are there for two reasons:

1. They should help shield RFI (radio frequency interference).
2. They protect the boot from radiative heat transfer from the exhaust manifold.

A note on heat transfer. Classically there are three types, radiative, conductive and convective. Convective heat transfer doesn't really apply here, so we'll ignore it.

When most of us think of hot things, we think of conductive heat transfer. That type of heat transfer happens when things touch each other. For example, put hand on radiator, hand gets hot. Using OP's example, handle spark plugs protectors after running the engine, hand gets hot.

Radiative heat transfer is a different animal. This happens when certain items get REALLY hot, hot enough to glow (radiate). Classic examples would be a large bonfire that can burn your face even though you may be standing several feet away and the air is near freezing. The Sun is also an example of this. It's a giant H-bomb that radiates so much heat that it can burn you from 93 million miles away. Under our hood, the only component that gets hot enough to radiate is the exhaust manifolds. If you put in headers, you get even more radiation.

The protection against radiation is a shield that the radiation can't penetrate. If you look around your exhaust manifold, you'll see all kinds of shiny thin shields. They aren't thick, and they don't have fluffy-type insulation. They are designed for one thing -- to protect components against radiative heat. The exhaust manifold shield is one of the first lines of defense. You'll also see shiny shielding on wire bundles, on the firewall, and, of course, the boot shields that OP refers to.

Short term, you'll be fine without them. But, long term, you want to protect against this heat. It will definitely shorten the lifespan of the component.

On my header install, I did a couple of things:
1. Ceramic coating on the Kooks Mids. Shiny ceramic coating is an awesome way to shield that radiation.
2. Used some trick Accel wires that have shiny-white ceramic boots.
Advertisement

Tags
boot protectors , plug , spark