Car surges after cold air intake install - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Tech Lounge

Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
TBdeaux

Default Car surges after cold air intake install

My G8 surges real bad since installing the Spectra Cold Air Intake. Is this normal? Do I need to get the computer retuned.
TBdeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Kirkinsb

I put my Spectre CAI on and it is running great on my G8 Gt. Makes it sound mean as all H*LL too. Love mine. I did put a pre-filter on just for a little extra reassurance. It should not require a retune. Or at least I think.

Maybe check for loose connections....???? I dunno.
2009 Switchblade Silver G8 GT. Cortex Rotofab 91 tune, BBS wheels, V8 & V badging. MagnaFlow Axlebacks, Black Colgan Front Bra, Spectre CAI, 12" JL Powerwedge Sub in truck with 375watts & Infinity Kappa 62.9i in all doors, GXP Rear Diffuser, M&P 40c w/viridian laser/light for protection.
Kirkinsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Perhaps

Can you explain your problem a little better?

Is this on a cold start before the car is at operating temp?
Is this during idle?
What other circumstances surround this "surging" event?
Perhaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
SpeedRacerX
Just Click Submit

For the heck of it, disconnect the battery ground (black) in trunk overnight. Attach in the AM and try again.

NOTE: there will be no power so remote will not open doors or trunk in the AM. So... Lock your doors, open the trunk, disconnect battery, shut trunk, use key to open front door in the AM, reach in and unlock the rear door, reach through rear seat pass through and open the trunk with the emergency release, attach battery, back to normal.
2009 GT, Kooks 1-7/8 Mids, RPM Tune, Borla, Vararam, HSRK, P&P TB, UPR CCan, Mobil 1, Speedhut Gauges, FE3, Whiteline, Pedders, Summer MRR on 255/295, Winter Beyern on 245, CTS-V Fr Brembos, SS Rotors, Akebono Pads, Rolled/Pulled Fndrs, BMR Sways, Spohn Links & Arms, Sprt Pedals, Pont Shifter, Camaro Trans Pan, Pont Mats, Glove Box Light, MSM Lower Grills, CF Tail, GXP Diff, VG Fin, 20% Tint, 6000K HIDs, LED Fogs, GrafxWerks, Black Trim/Mirrors/Grills, Diffusr Lens/Amber Lens/Lowr Tails Tint
SpeedRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
TBdeaux

Thats a great idea. I will try that and let you know if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacerX View Post
For the heck of it, disconnect the battery ground (black) in trunk overnight. Attach in the AM and try again.

NOTE: there will be no power so remote will not open doors or trunk in the AM. So... Lock your doors, open the trunk, disconnect battery, shut trunk, use key to open front door in the AM, reach in and unlock the rear door, reach through rear seat pass through and open the trunk with the emergency release, attach battery, back to normal.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
TBdeaux

When acceleration it surges really bad, its almost like shutting the key of and on real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhaps View Post
Can you explain your problem a little better?

Is this on a cold start before the car is at operating temp?
Is this during idle?
What other circumstances surround this "surging" event?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
TBdeaux

The car idles fine and runs great normal driving. Its just when you squeeze into the throttle a little more than normal. Also when WOT. Doesn't matter if cold or hot.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Joe'sFastG8

Sounds like a MAF sensor issue or a bad/loose connection on the intake. Have you rechecked all the clamps making sure everything is seated properly and tight?
Joe'sFastG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Kirkinsb

How about trying to clean the mass airflow sensor. Auto parts stores sell a spray in a can that is specifically made for mass airflow sensors. I wonder if when you got your CAI maybe the filter was over oiled at the factory and contaminated the MA sensor. It sounds like the tiny wires may have gotten some oil on them???? I cannot think of anything else. Hmmm. Anyone else think he should try that?
2009 Switchblade Silver G8 GT. Cortex Rotofab 91 tune, BBS wheels, V8 & V badging. MagnaFlow Axlebacks, Black Colgan Front Bra, Spectre CAI, 12" JL Powerwedge Sub in truck with 375watts & Infinity Kappa 62.9i in all doors, GXP Rear Diffuser, M&P 40c w/viridian laser/light for protection.
Kirkinsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
courtroom19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkinsb View Post
How about trying to clean the mass airflow sensor. Auto parts stores sell a spray in a can that is specifically made for mass airflow sensors. I wonder if when you got your CAI maybe the filter was over oiled at the factory and contaminated the MA sensor. It sounds like the tiny wires may have gotten some oil on them???? I cannot think of anything else. Hmmm. Anyone else think he should try that?
This sounds quite probable. Definitely thinking MAF related. Possibly damaged?
courtroom19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
TBdeaux

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Anyone of them could have caused the surging problem. I finally found what the problem was. When I installed the MAF I plugged in the connector but I didn't notice that the wire harness was rubbing on the pulley which shorted out the wire going to the MAF. I repaired the wire and it is running great now. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
shanepax23

here's my issue guys, installed spectra cai. it started throwing the mass air flow code. I had the install checked and I checked and everything was tight. I had my mechanic reset the code. as soon as we reset, the car would not stay running until it popped the code again. after it popped the code it would run fine. I cleaned the mass air flow sensor with the cleaner. didn't change anything. we figured the sensor was bad, so I bought another one and that didn't fix anything. I've had my mechanic check everything else. anyone got any ideas?
shanepax23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
chamilton89

Thats tough, I have had absolutely no issues with my spectre CAI. Sounds like you did what you could with the sensor itself. Did you check harness wiring like TBdeaux, thats all I got if its throwing a MAF code.

2009 PONTIAC G8 GT PBM
SHOW:
55w HID 6k LB, 35w HID 6k HB, Flashback with White DRL Re-route, custom painted engine cover, GXP diffuser, Custom Plate "L8TRG8R", Custom 3 pod Guages
GO:
Spectre CAI, Solo Axelback, Rotofab 93 Tune, Mobil 1
chamilton89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
shanepax23

I had my mechanic check it. I never had any issues like this until I put the cai on. I don't know what else to do. also, I've had similar issues to person above here. Under heavy throttle, it would just die out for about 1 sec. I was told that it is dumping too much fuel.
shanepax23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
courtroom19

Sad to say your mechanic doesn't seem to know what he's doing.

Sounds like you too might have a wiring issue leading up to the MAF.
courtroom19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
JasonP31

Ditto, learn how to fix it yourself or find a mechanic that is worth the money you pay him/her.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #17
wvg8gt

I just installed a new Spectre yesterday morn and man what an improvement....No Code issues after 200 miles. and the draw sound when you hammer it is beautiful.
wvg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement