New Shift Flare Only in Sport Mode. DAMN!! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Tech Lounge

Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
sweetair

Default New Shift Flare Only in Sport Mode. DAMN!!

AS it says. I've recently noticed a flare when the car is in sport mode between 2-3 and 3-4. A little as well between 4-5 and even 5-6. 1-2 is good. There is no flare in regular drive between any shifts. I have installed a transmission dipstick from the forum here a while back so I have been draining out 2 qts of fluid and replacing with dextron VI during oil changes. Last night I went ahead and with the help of the kids and the car on the lift, one in the car reading the temp out and the other with a few qts ready to pour in, opened the plug as described in the shop manual. The correct temp range and the car was running too, let it drain off and then re-added until it started flowing out again, and replaced the plug.

The fluid level should be bang on. I also have a trans cooler that was self installed years ago and there are no leaks there either. I did have a flare when the car was 6 mos old in regular drive, and it even put me in "limp mode" (stuck in 2nd gear) and had a new TCM placed, as well as an update to the internal seals. The car has been fine since, until now.

I am just looking to see if anyone here has experienced the same. Thoughts? Is it damaging the transmission to drive it as is? I am thinking not as this is my DD and I am pretty easy on her. Either way I need to bring her in for the recall on my seatbelt tensioner and will have it looked at.

Thank you in advance.
sweetair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
gr8lover

flare is bad anytime,..... flare slips clutches and eventually will burn them up...the flare your feeling espeically in all those gear to gear may just be the characteristic of the sport mode.... personally I would stay away from sport mode... it really makes no difference in that mode from what i saw but if you think it is flaring... stay away from it..
gr8lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
sweetair

I do think it is flaring and am going to bring it in after thanksgiving for a look see. I'll get the recall done on here then too.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
gr8lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetair View Post
I do think it is flaring and am going to bring it in after thanksgiving for a look see. I'll get the recall done on here then too.

Thanks
recall??? no recall on your issue... if your not sure its flaring they will not do anything especially due to your description of your issue... they have nothing on file for your description... for them to do anything... it has to be an obvious flare and has to do in drive mode... good luck in your quest.... if they want to change the seals.... it wont fix your issue... sorry.
gr8lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
sweetair

Sorry I should been more precise. I have an outstanding recall on the passenger side seat belt tensioner, or something like that that I will have them take care of as well.

On the flare, I had this issue 3+ years ago. The shop foreman I am friends with who was in on the issue back then and is still there now will take a test drive with me and I'm certain he won't like what it is doing either. I'll keep the group posted here. The TCM was replaced then as well as the upgraded seals put it then.
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8lover View Post
recall??? no recall on your issue... if your not sure its flaring they will not do anything especially due to your description of your issue... they have nothing on file for your description... for them to do anything... it has to be an obvious flare and has to do in drive mode... good luck in your quest.... if they want to change the seals.... it wont fix your issue... sorry.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
GMCustomerService

@sweetair, please, let us know how things go with your G8 next week.

From my family to yours, we hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Michelle, GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
GT Drew

Has your vehicle been re-flashed by the dealer to update the PCM/BCM?
If it has not, ask they do all the updates when the recall is done.
I checked my vin on the GM site and there are a few updates waiting to be done for my car.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
sweetair

I have not had the car in for aork in quite a while as I do it at home myself. I have a lift so maintenance is pretty easy, and as crazy as it might sound, I enjoy doing it.

It might be a software issue and that will be looked at as well. Thank you.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Drew View Post
Has your vehicle been re-flashed by the dealer to update the PCM/BCM?
If it has not, ask they do all the updates when the recall is done.
I checked my vin on the GM site and there are a few updates waiting to be done for my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement