Fiance taking my SUV- now need help deciding - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > G8 GXP Talk (V8)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
hgill02

Default Fiance taking my SUV- now need help deciding

Hello Everyone,

So long story short, my fiance will be taking my SUV in a few months and so I am on the lookout for a car.

I have made it down to two cars:

09 G8 GXP vs. 09 G8 GT

I know this is a topic that has been covered and it really depends on the persons preference, but I still wanted to get some insight and input. Here are a few items of note.

1. I live in Cali, sunshine 360 days a year, and car will be my daily driver.
2. The car will only be driven in the city, as my work is all lights to work. Therefore the big difference of a 25mpg vs 20mpg wont apply. The city difference does not seem significant to me. Anytime we will be going out of town, we will be taking the SUV and even if I do have to travel for out of town, my work will pay for the gas.
3. One condition for the car is that it has to be an automatic (per fiance request). I will comply as shes been nice enough to to take my older suv for me to get a newer car.
4. Prior to my SUV, i had a 350z for about 4 years and a E46 M3 for about year and half. I am really hoping to get a car that can match the performance and thats why I lean towards the GXP over the GT, but I have heard of some serious gains from bolt ons to the GT.

My question is for GT owners as well: if I get the GT, is it worth to spend 2-5 thousand dollars making it as fast as the GXP rather than just getting the GXP.

Any input from you guys is appreciated.

Thank you in advance and I apologize if I have posted in the wrong section.

Hardeep
hgill02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

If you've got the money then get the GXP. Just pure rarity makes it a gem.

Performance wise, both GT and GXP will smoke that e46 and 350z you had. And it really maneuvers well for what it is.

City driving, light to light, I highly doubt you will see 20+ mpg in either. Probably around 14 with the GXP and 16-17 with GT. any spirited driving and it will most likely blow that away too.

Good luck. You won't regret either. But my my, so many good deals on GXPs lately. Check for sale section.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Troy Trackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
franki07ss

gxp in my opinion
franki07ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
quitplayn

I own a GT - 2008 one of the first in my state and I'd rather have the GXP. Faster, more exclusivity, and more respect on the street.
quitplayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Silver Bullet
Super Moderator

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65106

This one is a great deal.

Mods: 4 Pistons Brembos, OBX Headers to Maxflows, Spectre CAI, Rick C Intake, HSRK, LS7 Maf and tuned by Pat G.
In The Garage: Yank 2800 stall, Eibachs, SLP UDP
10.59 at 100.31 in the 1000.....8.33 at 88.13 in the 1/8....1.99 60 ft

Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
tchr49
every village has one

GT or GXP? Tough choice, but either way, you have a win/win situation.
When you buy a used car, you're buying what's left. Narrow it down to color choice, etc., and go from there. Do your homework, ask questions. Do you want DOD for example? If you want Bluetooth, sunroof,etc?
GXP is a great choice, better suspension, 6.2, rarity, all good points.
Then again, you might find a nicely modded GT.

I don't know if I helped or not......

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
Surprise Package
tchr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
PSMG8GT

If you're going auto, I would get a GT unless you can find a damn good deal on a gxp. Tune and cold air intake will have you running just as fast as a stock GXP from what I've seen
GXP DIFFUSER
FULLY DEBADGED
TSW NURBURGRING 20X8.5/9.5 WITH NITTO INVO 255/35 285/30
PSMG8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
bostonf4$

I see no benefit to getting the GXP if you're not getting a manual....for one you will have more choices looking for a GT vs. a GXP because more were produced. W/ a tune/intake it is very close to GXP power - My car made 332whp on a mustang dyno w/ just intake/custom tune/axleback - that's about 405HP @ the motor - very close to a GXP. While the GXP runs bigger calipers which will perform better during track days/autocross - the GT's brakes are phenomenal as well and very good for the street....no matter which car you get you WILL be needing to change brakes in the future so you can always upgrade lines/rotors/pads on the GT to heighten performance...its a "maintenance mod" when you think about it.

I don't regret not getting a GXP, I only miss having a manual, if I was buying a used G8 it'd be the GXP ONLY because of the manual. The GT's can be made as fast pretty easily and the gas mileage is a bonus...they ARE better around town than the GXP's too if you're wondering.

Save the extra money get the color combo/mileage you want in a GT since there are more out there you will have a better chance of getting the year/mileage/color/options you desire, then w/ that extra coin throw on headers/intake/tune and you'll have a faster ride than a GXP for less money w/ some custom touches.

Can't go wrong either way really though...enjoy
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Terp4life

Depends on how far you want to mod, if at all. Im tired of the "tune and cai gets you close to stock gxp numbers". Tune and cai on the gxp will put that distance right back. You will want a tune on either car for the trans tune alone. The gxp has better gearing, better suspension, better engine.

Now, if you want to tear into the engine and buy the fe3 suspension, then the gt is the better deal.

I personally wouldn't want this car if 95% of my driving was city. It shines in open spaces and highways.
Terp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Kirkinsb

I wished I had found a GXP in silver in my area....I got the Gt and like it. Every comparible GXP with low miles and same color/condition was $10,000 more. A $35,000 used car just was not in the budget. Spending the extra $10K just was not worth to me personally. $25K is right where I wanted to be. Plus mine already came with 19' BBS wheels, Axle back exhaust and was in perfect condition.
2009 Switchblade Silver G8 GT. Cortex Rotofab 91 tune, BBS wheels, V8 & V badging. MagnaFlow Axlebacks, Black Colgan Front Bra, Spectre CAI, 12" JL Powerwedge Sub in truck with 375watts & Infinity Kappa 62.9i in all doors, GXP Rear Diffuser, M&P 40c w/viridian laser/light for protection.
Kirkinsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
BigZub

GXP, for sure.
'09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
GMM RAMJET OTR CAI, Livernois E/TCM Tune, Kooks 1-7/8" LTs, catted mid-pipe, Hooker Polished SS MaxFlow mufflers - 394RWHP/386RWT
BMR Rear LCA's, stabilizer bars, end links, front LCA bushings, rear toe links and trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit, including subframe and diff bushings.
Hawk Ceramic pads, Brake Performance slotted and dimpled rotors, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid.
Best 1/4 time - 12.52 @ 114.47, 1.94 60ft.
BigZub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Silver Bullet
Super Moderator

There are a lot of things that people like to put on their GTs that the GXPs already come with. FE3 suspension, GXP steering wheel, GXP bumper, GXP axle backs, 3.27 gears, brembo brakes (front only though), more power right off the bat, doesn't have DOD if you look into cam swaps, GXP rear diffuser, and of course the rarity that comes with the GXP itself. I know some people dont care about how rare a car is and those people dont have to reply to this comment just to state that fact because the truth of the matter is there are A LOT of people that do car about the exclusivity of the GXP. All around its a better car to start with if your going to mod or if you aren't going to mod. The only reason I didnt get one is because of the extra 10k$ on average over the GT.

Mods: 4 Pistons Brembos, OBX Headers to Maxflows, Spectre CAI, Rick C Intake, HSRK, LS7 Maf and tuned by Pat G.
In The Garage: Yank 2800 stall, Eibachs, SLP UDP
10.59 at 100.31 in the 1000.....8.33 at 88.13 in the 1/8....1.99 60 ft

Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Jeff92se

Question is this "are you willing to spend close to $10,000 more to get into a GXP"
Jeff92se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
jerminator
Proud owner

Get the GXP if you don't mind paying more and getting a little worse fuel economy. Putting more money into a GT won't make the car worth more. A GXP is always worth more.

Gone- 2009 MGM GT
jerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Terp4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92se View Post
Question is this "are you willing to spend close to $10,000 more to get into a GXP"
Umm, have you not looked at the classifieds recently? There are 2 gxps for under $27k. Show me where I can get a gt with sport and premium for $17k that isn't a salvage title...
Terp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
2lazy4agoodname

Its up to you. If you were to be driven in either one blindfolded you would not be able to tell the difference. The only reason i would get a gxp over the gt is to not have to deal with dod.
Solo / Vararam / CTS-V Brembos / BMR
UPR / VMR V701/ Lovells

11.04 @ 125.14
09 WH GXP M6 (#1828 of 1829)
Roto-Fab
2lazy4agoodname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
Youngbuck

Gxp! I don't see anyone putting gt parts on there gxps lol...
Youngbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
Jeff92se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp4life View Post
Umm, have you not looked at the classifieds recently? There are 2 gxps for under $27k. Show me where I can get a gt with sport and premium for $17k that isn't a salvage title...

Nationally, I see them from $27-$35k.

I got mine for $19.5k

You CAN find one for less than $10 diff but you'd have to be willing to accept any color, be flexible with the miles and be willing to go out of state.

If I was looking NOW, I might have gotten this one.. Ca is not too far from Wa state
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=47253749
Jeff92se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
hgill02

Cool

Well my budget is between 24,000 to 29,000 for a car. The performance mods I plan to do regardless if Gxp or gt are a new exhaust and a CAI. Headers are a maybe. Besides that I don't currently have plants for any other performance mods. I don't plan to put a cam or supercharge it.

I am willing to travel outside the state to go get the car. Color wouldn't mind black, white, silver or gray so not too particular.
hgill02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #20
SmokeyBear911

GXP...
And if you need to look at one closer, let me know.. I'm up by Santa Barbara and can meet up for lunch....
#611 of 1829
SmokeyBear911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement